NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP NEEDED ! ! !

janica

I got an African grey almost 4 weeks old. Need all the advice I can get. I am hand rearing him . . I would like to know:

When do we put him in a cage?

when do I start weaning and how?

He stays in a box now with wood shavings (Pine) can I take him out during the day to stretch?

When can I start introducing bath time?

All advice and extra advice please mail me on j.duplessis@telkomsa.net

Hi Janica!

Well done - you found it!

You'll have lots of advice before long, but be patient, as a lot of our members are in different countries!

I'm not experienced enough to give the advice you're looking for, but I can say welcome to the site!

Lyn & ALfie

x

I didn't realize that you put a picture in.

No, that bird shouldn't be allowed to be put in a cage at all

No, that bird shouldn't be allowed to walk all over the floor because of microscopic dust mites that are on the floor.

Handfeeding---you've got a long way to go. Continue handfeeding everday day at least 3 to 4 times a day.

In that box, put some soft toys such as a teddy bear so it can snuggle up to it for warmth,

When you start to give any so called solid food, take some Cheerios ( colored) and put in the box. If you can change the bedding, use towels. That allows you to see the color and thickness of the droppings. Have a couple of towels available. Cedar chips often get stuck to a baby bird's vent area and that area gets clogged. If you need a bigger box then get it. All the flapping and walking can be done in the box.

This is what a baby bird should look like before walking on a floor---8 weeks old

8wksold---12thAugust.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/08 21:58

Thanks dave. I have put a soft toy in there is a towel on the bottom but will change to what you said. . . Tell me more about the droppings and also when do i introduce solids like the cheerio's

One more question

Before feeding she like stretches and opens her mouth and so on, is that coz she knows its nearly feeding time? also after feedings she makes sounds during and after little bit restlees after night feedings and then goes to sleep

As far as Cheerios, introduce right now. just throw 9 or 10 pieces around the box so he can see them. At 4 weeks, don't expect your bird to eat them. They just interest the bird and encourage it to walk around. At that age, droppings in general should look greenish surrounded by what looks like white cream or watery thickness. The bird will usually sleep after a hand feeding. If the bird raises the head and makes different noises, it's hungry. Don't deny the bird just because of some schedule you heard about. There is no such thing as a *schedule*. Some birds will grow much bigger and stioll need formula. Formula makes for a mellow bird and can never hurt a bird. Expect the bird to move it's bowels quite frequently. At least every 2 hrs. NO BATHING!!

I need to say one other thing--even though it probably wasn't your fault, the breeder did a very bad thing by letting you take such a young bird home. Normally,a breeder is the one who's supposed to do all the weaning.

The warm toy will imitate the warmth it received when it was with the parents---no drafts of any kid---no cold rooms.

Stretching is absolutely normal. Sometimes, you'll even see it slightly flap

PS----If you can go to the store and purchase a feather duster, it will be a good idea to hang it down in a corner so the feathers are partially on top of floor. That will allow bird to eventually snuggle against it as if it was a parent bird--All household stores have them. At Walmart, they cost about $5. Just clip the handle to top edge of box.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/08 22:15<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/08 22:34

Thanks, I am so scared of over feeding but I see at night she doesnt eat as strong as she would in the day. . . Also she flaps alot! ! ! ! At night she will be restless after feeding until i pat her head but what I dont understand is she makes a funny noise after feeding like a puppy not the crying type. . .

and then she will settle in and sleep. . .

Well all I can do is to give all my love and attention now and have friends like you to help me through. . . .

Except for the cheerios is there anything else I should know at 4 weeks. . . ???? or do or look out for???

I can only add a couple of things

1--let the bird tell you when it doesn't want a feeding anymore--( abundance feeding)It will simply not accept a feeding so you need to lessen the procedure by removing one.

All the while, have fresh foods such as dark green veggies and a few pieces of chopped fruit in a bowl. Eventually, the switch will be made.

2--this bird you have should still be with it's clutch mates.

anotherclutch.jpg

This is really quite sad that this little guy has been sold to someone inexperienced such as yourself Janica, greed seems to have been the order of the day here. he has been taken away from not only his parents but also his clutch mates. I hope you eventually manage to wean him with Dave's help. I wish you luck with this very important task. Please do keep us informed of your progress.

Karma to you for being brave enough to take this on.

I completely agree with Jooles and Dave - the breeder should not have allowed you to take this poor thing on, I'm sure you will take the best care of it you can but even very experienced people can make mistakes and there are so many factors that have the potential to go wrong when hand-rearing. Especially at four weeks old - that is very, very young.

I work at a breeders and handfeed once a day. I worked there and watched for 2 months before I was allowed to try.

I would not bother with the veggies or cheerios yet, I would maybe wait until about 6 weeks for the cheerios and maybe try a couple of pellets. You can cuddle the bird but you have to keep its body temperature up. At this point the baby should still be cuddling with clutch mates to keep it warm. Whatever the baby is sitting in needs to be cleaned at least once a day, the risk of infection at such a young age is high if they are not kept clean.

I've got a few questions for you...

1. Do you know how much to feed the baby?

2. Do you know the correct formula temperature?

3. What formula are you using?

4. Has it been to see a vet?

You might also want to keep the radio on for the little thing during the day, and talk to it whenever you can.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Hi there

Thank you for your reply . . . I am getting a bit tired of hearing the same thing over and over " you should never have got the bird at such a young age". Instead please rather assist me in what to do.

I am from south africa so I am going to answer you in our terms.

1. Do you know how much to feed the baby?

2. Do you know the correct formula temperature?

3. What formula are you using?

4. Has it been to see a vet?

You might also want to keep the radio on for the little thing during the day, and talk to it whenever you can.

1.I am feeding her 5 times a day 30 -35ml every 4 hours.

2. I give the formula at a temperature of between 39celcius to 40celcius.

3. I am using AVI plus hand rearing formula for parrots

4. I have not yet been to a vet that would happen on monday.

The TV is on all day but I am with the baby the whole day every day we talk and I give her scratches as I think se is already spoiled in someway it really seems like she is asking to be scratched. LOL

She stays in a box at this stage with wood shavings and a towel in the bottom. I have a soft toy with her and also a towel to cuddle her and keep warm.

I think she seems happy and she is doing all the birdie things flapping wings and believe it or not but having a conversation in her own way. . .

Please let me know if the info I gave you is correct. . .

Janica and Coco

janica wrote:

Hi there

I am getting a bit tired of hearing the same thing over and over " you should never have got the bird at such a young age". Instead please rather assist me in what to do.

People aren't criticising you Janica - we are sympathising with you. Please do not think people are being rude in their expressions - we mean it with all heartfelt emotions - we feel for both you and Coco.

Everyone is trying to assist you - but in different ways - Dave is giving you the best "technical" help you will receive, and others are putting themselves in your situation.

Honestly - don't take it that people are scorning you - it's your breeder we are scorning.

I am sure you are doing everything possible for Coco - and wish you luck with your hand rearing ;)

Guest jamalbirdbiz

This is a mitey task and shud not be taken litely.

Hang in their tiny guy. u mite be small now, but look out. once u learn the power of the beak u will be calling the shots. :evil:

jamalbirdbiz wrote:

Hang in their tiny guy. u mite be small now, but look out. once u learn the power of the beak u will be calling the shots. :evil:

Not necessarily Jamal, not all greys bite and those that do are just trying to get a point across the owner didn't heed from the body language so don't make it seem as if the grey will rule the household because of its beak, maybe in yours it does but then I wouldn't know anything about that.

Janica, we really aren't coming down on you for getting this bird, we are upset that the breeder would allow one of his babies to be sold at such an early stage, that is greed pure and simple.

Please read some of the threads in the nursery room for lots of helpful advice and of course accept any help that Dave007 gives you, he knows what he is doing as he is a breeder of greys himself.

I wish you much luck and please keep us informed as to how Coco is doing.

Thank you very much for your msg. . . I do have one question. I stay in south africa, it is currently summer and very hot, coco is in a box with towels do I still have to cover him I am just scared he might get to hot can I leave him open???

Janica please remember what Dan and Jill are saying - we are not coming down on you nor am I trying to make you feel bad, I am simply unhappy that the breeder would have allowed you to take the little guy in. There are some very irresponsible breeders out there, and unfortunately it is the people and the babies being victimized. You haven't done anything wrong, and like I said I'm sure you are doing everything within your power to keep him happy and healthy, and it sounds like you are doing a very good job.

Keep up what you are doing and I'm sure everything will turn out alright, plus your grey will be very accustomed to all the goings-on of a home. He/she is adorable and it's good that it's moving around and making noises. All good signs :)

I am no expert like Dave but I have had quite a bit of experience with these little guys so I'm just giving advice as to what I would do.

Please keep us updated as to his/her progress, we all love watching babies grow, and you will always get a well-informed answer to any of your questions here.