NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Washing machine

jackyshay

Currently my bird is caged in my sons room. I also have my washer and dryer in the same room. I was just wondering would this be bad for the baby grey. I read a whole lot about toxic fumes making birds sick. The washer and dryer are brand new and it doesnt appear that any fumes are being released into air. However,I do occasionally smell a fragrant smell.

Thanks

I recommend removing you bird from that room I assume you are using laundry soap, bleach and probably fabric softeners. The fumes you can smell are not healthy for your Grey and in fact are dangerous for him. That could also account for your other post that says he sits at the bottom of the cage puffed up. he may not be feeling well after breathing in those fumes.

Also, you Grey should be in an area where the family is during the waking hours so it knows it is a member of the flock and does not feel left out.

I agree with the others, your bird should be in the room where most of the family spends their time, they are social creatures and want to be with their flock.

Also if you ever use any bleach when washing clothes that would give off toxic fumes that could kill your bird.

Gosh, I can't stand it in my laundry room - and I'm 35 with big lungs! Take your poor baby out of there immediately!

I agree with the others - your baby will be feeling the effects and also will be feeling left out. You have to treat your grey the way you would a small child - you couldn't lock him/her in a bedroom or laundry room - your baby needs to be with you as much as possible.

Pleaese move your cage to the family area - so it can feel part of your family.

hes in my sons bedroom. We have the washer and dryer in two closets in the room. The room has 4 windows. He is only in the room during the day when we are not home. I dont want to leave him downstairs when we are not home because of my dogs. Its sought of my birds quiet area. When we wake up in the morning we are usually in room anyhow.