NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

grey and other birds

pixie

#please sorry if this topic belongs to some other section (i didn't know where to put it)

I plan to get my gray soon, as I said in the introduction room.

So I try to prepare as much as I can before actually get one. Here's my question.

In one cage I already have two personata birds and one fischeri . These "Three musketeers" are actually true bandits , they fly like crazy , turn their cage upside-down, they are loud as hell and there is possibility that D'Artagnan joins them. :-)

Can they (being that loud and active)

do any harm to a young grey in any mental way? (i don't letting them out at the same time so I'm not worried about physical contact)

And what about grey's loudness ? How loud is your grey because i hear a lot of different stories from those who say that it's impossible to keep them in an apartment (neighbour factor) to those that say that grey's sounds are less "irritating" than many smaller bird's sounds?

thanks<br><br>Post edited by: pixie, at: 2009/10/05 17:05

Simply put, 90 % of lovebirds are very loud. Their sounds are high pitched.

Greys aren't loud at all but have been known to copy the sounds of other birds big or small. Doing harm to a grey's mental state? A grey can either get aggressive with them, not get aggressive with them, bite them or not bite them when they get too close. The grey may not come out of the cage or may come out of the cage.

In other words, it's up to the birds. Greys as well as lovebirds have individual personalities. I can tell you one things--greys don't like other birds constantly flying all over the place when they're around the grety. Usually it will go in it's cage and become very quiet for long periods of time. If this happens frequently, eventually, the grey won't come out of it's cage at all.

I live in a neighbor with both older homes and newer homes so there are many very old tall trees in the neighborhood. While outside this summer, my Ana Grey has picked up the loud noises that crows make. Drives me crazy but I ignore it hoping it will disappear into the sunset!

Kiwi imitates everything from my conure screaming from another room, my 5 year old crying, the dog barking, microwave beeping, phone conversations and ring, and the cat meowing (which drives me crazy). If you can tolerate her imitating your other birds and she has time to escape the noise if she needs to then I see no problem with it. Also grey's can get irritated with noise that bothers them so giving them a place to get away is good.

The grey definitely needs to have its own cage cause I notice below that you said you have one cage, you don't plan of joining the grey in that same cage?? That will probably not work if you plan to do that!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Of course not , i asked the same question on some other forum and the second line was something like this "if you think that i consider keeping them in one cage , don't worry i am not *and then smiley that hits itself with a baseball bat*. Later, when i was retyping I tried to make post shorter and left that one out.

Gray will have his own large cage , i never considered anything different. Your comments helped me decide where to put my grey's cage.

Thanks.<br><br>Post edited by: pixie, at: 2009/10/06 17:53

My Tyco doesn't imatate the sounds of my other birds like my Macaw and my Amazon they can get very loud and Tyco hates it she tells them to be quiet or if it gets really loud and the dogs start howling because it hurts their ears then Tyco say shuy up no barking and no screaming. its funny how much she doesn't like noise from other animals she gets really mad at them:laugh: