NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greedy Eater

Marlise

Elvis is growing so fast and everyday he can do something else. He is a very greedy eater and it worries me that he is not getting enough food. He tries to grab the spoon or the bowl when he sees the food. The vet said we should keep him on 3 feeds a day as overfeeding can cause liver problems and trouble when we start weaning but he starts crying for a feed 2 hours before it's due. He is 7 weeks. What do you guys think?

You need to keep your Grey on the correct schedule and amount for it's age. Most breeders do this and ignore a young chick that keeps asking for more every hour or two.

At 7 weeks, you should be feeding 30cc - 45cc for the 5-9 weeks of age. I am assuming your Grey is a CAG. If your vet gave you a specific cc amount for his age, use that. It could be what he is receiving is not enough though. You should be feeding your baby 3 times a day at this age.

I would wait at least 5 or 6 hours between feedings.

I gave him a little more this morning (about 45cc) and he seemed more satisfied. I'll see by this afternoon when he's due for his 2nd feed if he is less greedy. We watch his weight and he's 430g at this stage. He is a CAG. He sleeps alot but when he's awake he's very active. He tries to climb up his cage and he plays with his stuffed animal. So I think he's healthy but we'll just keep an eye on him. Thanks for the advice but expect alot more questions as this is our first AG and like your first child you panic about everything.:laugh: