NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flight Suit Review and Issue

pga7602

I wanted to give my review of Avian Fashion's flight suit. Coral has been wearing for a about a week now and I think it's been working out for the both of us. At first it was tough putting it on because Coral would give me a hard time. As time progress and he started associating the flight suit with free roam of the house including my bed :P , he started giving in... Now he sits still and lets me get it on him. I don't have it on all day, just 2-3 hours at a time.

My only issue is the chewing. When I don't give him my full attention, he starts chewing on the elastic bands as well as the velcro on the suit. I bought some bitter apple spray, but that didn't seem to work. Well, it kinda backed fire on me! He goes on chewing and keeps on kissing me. By the end of the session, I'm the one with the bitter lip :D I'm sure this problem would apply to not only the users of the suit, but for any type of harness we put on our birds. Does this problem simply go away with time? Inputs please!

There's no way of telling if your bird will stop any chewing behavior on any item unless that item is taken away. If it appeals to a bird, he'll bite it. Some birds stop but there's no way to make them stop. People use harneses and immediately start doing things with a bird that has to do with activity. when the activity is finished, off comes the harness and that includes any harness--Feather Tether or Avian Flight harness. A flight suit is simply a diaper, not a harness.

Tobe never stopped chewing the straps of the flight suit until I stopped putting it on him. I guess they were uncomfortable to him. I put new straps on that were longer etc. Now I use the aviator harness - still a little hard to get on, but we are working on it and he doesn't chew the harness once it is on. I miss the poop pouch though.