NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Umm is this okay?

Brittany

OK.

The other day i wrote about how Pepper hurt herself flying because some idiots clipped her wings.

Well, she pulled the feather out.. here are some pics. I was just worried is this normal? And could she get infected, do I need to go to a vet?

Thanks

I am just worried bc it looks gross; however we put flour on her even tho we didnt see her bleeding.

003fz.jpg

002rw.jpg

004ytd.jpg

Oh btw Pepper seems to be in a GREAT mood tho! She can flap both her wings now, and open them etc<br><br>Post edited by: Brittany, at: 2009/10/03 04:54

more experienced bird owners will jump in...but for right now, i think she'll be alright! Espically if she's not bleeding...I don't think it will be become infected either. Pepper did the right thing by pulling it out herself...

Jax did that once...his feather was bent out of shape and then he pulled it out, didn't bleed and was fine...and I noticed he was in a better mood after his owie feather was gone!<br><br>Post edited by: Jingles, at: 2009/10/03 05:11

She will take care of the rest that didn't come out by herself. This has happened to Kea a couple of times, she chewed the broken feather off and then a couple of days later while she was preening she got the rest of the shaft out. Just keep an eye on it.

It actually looks worse than it really is but Jane is right, she will get the rest out later. When they get a feather out of place or one gets damaged they take care of it themselves, you just need to administer some flour or corn starch to help stop any bleeding.

I know this a harrowing experience but you handled it well and now you know what to do the next time it happens.

Now if the shaft continues to bleed then it will have to be removed by pliers but as long as it doesn't then leave it alone.