NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

In memory of Coco - please learn from our loss

mae2050

I feel the need to share a recent personal story in hopes that I can impact the lives of current African Grey owners or would be owners.

My little girl, Coco, died yesterday by falling from a loft in our house. She has been my best friend for 13 years. Like many African

Grey owners have experienced, she formed a special bond with me at the exclusion of other members of my family. She wanted to be with me and only me. A testiment to the deep loyalty these birds offer. Every day, she talked, chattered, clucked and made little whistles. She would get hours of head tickles. Now she's gone.

I have always hated seeing birds caged, so I'd let her roam when I could. A few years ago, we moved into a new home. She would chew up the carpet and walls, and it was too much for my family. So, we kept her in the cage most of the time, but I would bring her out for head tickles, and let her sit for hours on my wheelchair.

She has always been a feather plucker, but the situation worsened.

When she started making herself bleed, it was more than I could handle. I brought her cage up to the loft with me so she could be by my side. I let her roam freely up there and her happiness and vitality became apparent to everyone. During the past two months I have never seen her happier.

We had railings along the loft and she loved to sit by them and look out over the house. My family members warned me of the possible danger of her falling, but I couldn't stand to restrict her freedom any further. She was so happy up there and just talked and chattered for hours. Yesterday, my mother reached for her to bring her to me.

She got spooked or something and took flight. But because of her feather plucking, she could not fly. Her little body hit the ground with a squeak and now she's gone forever.

I write with overwhelming guilt, deep sadness and anger at my error as the custodian of her life. I will forever regret not putting up some kind of barrier to ensure her safety and for ignoring my family's warnings.

I beg anyone who is considering purchasing a Grey, to understand the magnitude of commitment these birds require. The slightest lack of care can lead to feather plucking, which can ultimately have a devasting effect. I tried to care for Coco the best I could. She was abandoned by her previous owner. An acquaintance found her roaming the streets and gave her to us. We loved her for 13 years. Be we couldn't give her enough. She plucked and lost her feathers and now her life.

With deep felt gratitude, I thank those who continue to take special care of their pets. But if you are not currently giving them your full attention, please find someone who will. Please learn from my tragedy and loss. These birds are incredibly special. But they require more love and attention than anything you can imagine. Far more so than even children who have the ability of entertaining themselves.

In memory of Coco.

Thank you Matt and everyone for your tremendous support. It has been very helpful in dealing with this loss. It's very encouraging to know how many people are so anamored with their African Greys and can give them the lives they deserve.

• 4 years later...

I'm so sorry. I certainly can't say "I know how you feel"...I hope I never will. I know you said she was a plucker, but you also said that the last couple of months, you'd never seen her happier. YOU did that for her. It sounds like she died when she was very happy and she didn't suffer. She loved you and appreciated all you did for her, especially the last couple of months...she's probably watching over you now since you guys had such a special bond. Thank you for posting about it. It will certainly make me think about that sort of thing if it pops up in the future.

Rest In Peace Coco...

Love and Light to you...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...