NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How Long?

Joolesgreyuk

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how long I can leave my two fids alone for. I know that holidays are really tricky for all of us, personally I don't really have anyone I can ask who would look after my birds should I go away. For instance, Steve is planning a bit of a break at the end of the month, an overnight stay - up to 48 hrs. Would my birds be ok alone for that long? What should I do, I won't be here to cover them at night and the place would be so quiet. What about fresh water?

I'm not sure how things are in the UK, but pet sitters in the US are pretty inexpensive. I'd suggest interviewing a few until you find one you trust. Have them meet your fids ahead of time, and go over exactly what you expect of them. That way you'll also have someone available in the future.

Personally I do not leave my parrots alone for more than 10 hours and this occurs twice a week. I do not feel or think that your parrots should be alone for 48 hours without someone coming in to change their water, check their food bowl and make sure they are ok. Consider getting in touch with your avian vet to see if you can keep them there or bring them to a reputable parrot daycare.

Have you tried water bottles with your fids? That might work and timers on your TV/radio and lights/lamps. If you set the thermostat on your heat for a steady temperature that would keep them warm. I don't cover my fids so that is what I do. I have never left my fids or dog alone for more than 12 hours but if I had to in an emergency that's what I would do. Isn't there a neighbor who could check on your fids?

I think at the very least someone should check on them every day. Otherwise they may decide to spend the first day emptying there food dish onto your carpet, only to discover nobody is coming to refill it, or worse manage to empty there water. It probably won't happen, but I wouldn't take the chance. If you can't ask or hire someone to look in on them, then bording them somewhere is probably the next best option.

Hi Julie - I had your concerns when I went to the Lakes in May. We left at lunchtime on the Saturday and returned on the Sunday at lunchtime - it was about 26 hours in all.

I left the radio on, put plenty of dried food in and a neighbour came over to put his nightie on. I did feel totally, terribly guilty - but felt that it was less upheaval than transferring him to my mam's.

He was fine - no detrimental effects at all!

If only I lived closer.....! :)

Oh Jill you are so right, I feel terribly guilty but Steve's usual comment is "so now we can't have holidays because we have parrots".

I have been to my parroty client this morning to do her hair (she has two, a hahns and an amazon - I think) and talked to her about it. She told me not to worry she has left hers between 24 & 48 hrs and they were fine, they have each other and just to make sure they have plenty of food but even after being given this advice I think I will get my mum to give them fresh water on the second day. again though I feel terribly guilty doing this as mum is in her 70s and Argyle in particular can be nippy - he is so quick. I feel so torn.

I would try and get someone to stay Julie if possible or board them somewhere.

Personally I wouldnt leave mine overnight unless it was an emergency.

Try and ring round vets and see if they offer a boarding facility, Marie used one before on here and she said it was brilliant.

I wish I lived nearer and could help you out, hope you find a solution and can get away for a break.

I'm of the same mind as others that have commented on not leaving your Grey unattended for 48 hours.

A Friend, family member or someone should atleast go and check once, if not twice a day on your birds, give fresh water and food etc.

Going on vacation or just an overnight trip is not ruled out due to having critters. It just means you must plan ahead to either take them with you, have someone check on them or find a suitable kennel for them.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/10/02 16:05

Try to find someone to pet sit. Do you know any reliable teens? They're always looking for ways to earn extra $. You'll need to have the food and water dishes set up in a way that alows them to be filled without putting a tasty looking hand into the cage, but that's do-able. I had a friend's daughter sit for me once. I set up a table and chair near the cage and the tv and told her she could do her homework here, watch tv, only the computer was off-limits (hard learned lesson involving my nephew) She was thrilled because she had some peaceful time away from younger siblings, she made some money, and my pets had company.