NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Old Horse

Debandbella

I have an approximately 25 year old horse that i have said im not putting her through another winter for the last 3 years but she has always rallied round by the end of summer, this year she seems to have gone downhill, ive decided her time has come, i had it all worked out that we were using the injection despite a horror story i heard, however someone came to see Bryony today with a view for taking her on loan, they have used both gun and injection and will never use injection again. They told me 2 horror stories about it that they have experienced. Its really worrying me,i cant bear to watch her die but the thought of a gun at her head cripples me especially when they cover her head first. I know theres a people with horses on here and would appreciate any input of your experiences before i make my final decision.

I'm sorry to hear about your horse but sometimes its the kindest thing we can do for an animal that is suffering. I don't have horses, never have but we do indeed have some members who do and maybe they will post about what they had to do if faced with the same situation.

I know it won't be easy for you but please accept my condolenses.

Thanks for that, i wont let her suffer, shes had a good retirement and deserves the best i can give her, shes been a brilliant pony and i dont regret what im about to go through for her. Shes been worth every minute of these last few years, i bought her as a rescue knowing this time would come before long.

Deb, My heartfelt condolences are with you. We just recently put our sweet horse Annie down 3 months ago suddenly due to a shoulder break. If you search here, you will see the thread I started when we lost her. So I feel your pain. It is a difficult thing to go thru, but I am happy you don't want to see your horse suffer. You are a brave and selfless person.

As someone who grew up with horses, and have boarded horses at our barn for the past 20 years, I have experienced what you are about to go thru many times. Both with our own horses and those of our boarders as well. Some were planned, some were not, some were very sudden.

It is my VERY STRONG OPINION, to give them an injection when their time has come. It is the most humane way without a doubt. If you have an experienced vet, then this is the kindest way to put them down. First, they give them an injection that is a tranquilizer, this calms and relaxes them. We give our hugs, kisses and say goodbye all the time while stroking them, and then the vet gives them another shot that is an overdose that just puts them quietly to sleep. It happens very quickly and they feel nothing other than what you would feel going into a deep sleep. You hear their last couple of breaths, and then they are gone to be free, running with the horses in the big green pasture in the sky.

I have also experienced the gun as a way to end their lives. It is HORRIBLE!! A sight that I will never forget. The sound of the gun I can still hear in my head to this day, the sound the horse made, the grunt, the loud thud as they fell. That was with one shot between the eyes. Imagine, it doesn't always end with one shot, it may take a couple, how HORRIBLE for the horse that you love so much to experience that pain and suffering....:( I didn't even know this horse, I can't imagine if it were my loving pet I was witnessing.

I have also seen many a horse whose adrenalin has kicked in and they were being put down by injection, they are already calm from the tranquilizer, so they felt no pain or suffering by having more shots administered to be put to sleep.

IN MY OPINION, IT IS THE ONLY KIND WAY TO PUT YOUR HORSE DOWN.

I am sure you will do what is right for your horse. Please keep in touch, and I would love to see pictures of her if you have any to share. We also cut a snip of her mane, put a ribbon around it for a remembrance.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Penny

I'm sorry to hear about your horse. Its a really hard thing to go through. But you have done such a wonderful thing by taking her in as a rescue, I'm sure she is very appreciative.

In my experience, the injection is the best option. Its much easier for me to know that they went peacefully, instead of by using the gun. While in some cases, when its the only option, it can be done right, and supposedly the horse doesnt feel any pain.

This is a very hard decision to make. While I would choose the injection, i'm sure you'll do what's right. Good luck.

Melissa

I'm with Talon and Talonsis.

We had horses for years. One was basically blind at 25 and just followed people around, otherwise it stayed in it's little area where it knew water and food was and navigated surprising well there.

When the time came, a back hoe was order and a ramped down hole was dug 9 feet deep. She was lead down, hugged, wept over and injected. It was a very calm ordel. She still remains in that pasture with a marker.

It was very peaceful and a closure we could live with.

God bless you and please know my thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time.

Well, it was not so much bravery, as it was a nessecity. Since she was blind, she would only go when lead and did so with full trust and confidence that she was following us along a safe path.

A normal sighted horse, I would have never done that with. Too much chance of them getting nervous and spooked seeing a dead end and high walls, even if sedated to calm them.

I don't know anything about horses only pain. I believe the injection is the best way to go. I have had major heart stopping and brain surgeries. Before a surgery I was given a sedative so that there was a calm and light feeling and going to sleep was very pleasant. This is the way for your companion to go. There will be no pain and no fear. Bless your sweet companion and may she have the peace she deserves after so many loyal years.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2009/09/30 02:49

Thanks for the replies, i think its going to be the injection, although another forum seems to favour the bullet, cant bear that, going up there with my "death partners" this afternoon and will bring her in from the field. Depending on how she manages the walk from the field to the stable will influence my decision as to whether todays the day or not. Its a lovely sunny day and would be "nice" for her to go on a high rather than in cold miserable weather. Rung the undertaker and given him the interrogation this morning so its just a phone call to let him know when the vet comes. I can just see her being all bright and breezy when i get there though, weve been close to this point several times although this is the closest so far.

SO sorry to hear what you are going through Deb, this is without doubt ones of the most diffocult decisions you have to make as a pet owner.

Last year, my 35 year old pony got sick and I had to make the call. He was my first pony and I'd had him since we were both 12!

There was no question in my mind at the time that he was going to get the injection - I couldn't bear to listen to the gunshot. As the others have said, it is quick and painless.

Then in February this year, I had to make the same call for my 25 yo TB, I'd had him 17 years - same decision, same outcome. It's still not easy to watch, but I feel a lot less traumatic for both.

They are both buried in their pasture with some Daffodils on top.

I hope you get through this ok and know we are all thinking of you.

Lyn & Alfie

xx

Thanks, you just feel as though youre the only one going through it, i bet your first pony was horrendous! It was the same for my mate a couple of years ago, ive only had Bonnie 5 years, shes the sweetest pony you could meet but she was getting used and abused where she was, at least i can take comfort in the fact shes enjoyed her last 5 years, rode her regularly til 3 years ago, she gave me my confidence back so shes given me more back than ive given her, i owe it to her to stop her suffering and dont regret getting her, i knew it would never be long, ok at this moment in time im regretting it but i will look back soon and have no regrets, shes been the perfect pony.

My heart goes out to you. I had my 17 year old arab x tb put to sleep many years ago now,she had navicular.It is horrible.Her name was Dulcie and she was the love of my life.The method you choose is personal to you and the method you can cope with.In theory injection sounds the best but I have heard and sadley witnessed both methods and I have to say the mare I witnessed being put down with injection did not have an easy end.That led me to having Dulcie put to sleep with a humain distroyer.She had her head in a bucket of feed and knew nothing.She was tranqualized first.Yes it was horrible but I know she died instantly.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/09/30 21:21

Yes Deb, having Rags (first pony) put to sleep was awful, like Bonnie, Rags was worth his weight in gold and was one of these ponies that had done the rounds, and had taught many children how to ride. Losing him was so sad, bkut at the same time he was quite old. I lost a 4yo homebred gelding a couple of years back and that was just intolerable.

Oh dear - too much doom and gloom I think. The best we can do for our animals is give them the best life we can, and not let them suffer.

We will be thinking of you.

x

Thanks for all your replies, they are all much appreciated, i chose the injection and she was so ready for it it was almost as quick as the gun, we both went down it was so quick she has pulled a muscle in my arm. I stayed for everything and the guy that removed her was so dignified and caring, his wagon was sterile and he cared, it meant the world to me especially now ive had a drink, cant stop crying and cant believe i killed my pony today.

Debandbella wrote:

cant stop crying and cant believe i killed my pony today.

Deb don't think of it like that, you put her at peace, yes she died but it was a merciful death but you do need time to grieve and in time you will get over it and remember all the good times you had with her, cherish those and don't dwell on how she got that way.

Deb, my heart breaks for what you had to go through today with Bonnie. I can feel that pain and do for you. You did the right thing, she is happy and pain free. I know you loved her with all your heart. She was lucky to have been a part of your family for her final years. Time will help you deal with your loss.

When you are ready, I would love to see a picture of Bonnie. :huh:

We planted an apple tree where we buried our horse of 26 years, Annie. It' a nice remembrance for us.

Thanks for all your kind replies, without forums, my 2 death partners and diazepam i really couldnt have got through yesterday, i now feel like the weight has gone from my shoulders, nothing could have gone better than it did, just looking at some photos i took of her yesterday, she looks so tired and it was so quick, she seemed to embrace it, someone commented how tired her eyes were but as soon as the injection started working they brightened up. Bless her, shes at rest and at long last she will be able to bend her legs again! R.I.P Bonnie, never forgotten and always loved.