NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tyco can Fly

Tycos_mom

As you all know Tyco was not permited to fledge as a baby and because she was clipped badly continued to barber her left wing for the first four years of her life. So when I got her she was very off balance and would fall so hard on her keel I thought for sure she was going to either break her keel bone or split her chest wide open. So I took her to the vet and had her right side clipped to match the left and had the left straightened out so maybe it wouldn't irritate her so badly so she hopefully stop barbering it. Well I'm happy to say that it worked and Tyco has been fully flighted for 1 1/2 years now. Next problem Tyco can't fly she never lerned as a baby and being almost five before she grew a full set of wings its been just awefull to watch her try and try and try all my other birds are fully flighted and fly beautifly. Well Tyco showed me this morning what she could do know and it made me very proud. I asked her to step up off her cage and I guess my house coat was to slippery to get her footing so she started to slip well instead of falling she took to the wings and she flew about 3feet turned around and came back hovered a few moments til I put my hand up and made a perfect landing onto my hand. I'm so proud of her I almost cryed she must of thought I was total nuts I got so excited and was like a kid in a candy store saying oh Tyco such a smart girl you can fly yeah my Tycos a flyer what a good girl this went on for about 5 minutes. and she looking at me and I can just tell she smiling from ear to ear. then she reached her head in and said kisskiss it was so sweet. I just love my Tyco to bits

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

Shanti is also capable of at least some limited flight now; I'm not sure he knows it though. He got startled the other day and flew straight into the glass doors that open on to the patio. It was a scary moment, but he was fine. I've since taken precautions to keep him from learning about glass the hard way. He was clipped early by his breeder, so he's never learned to fly properly. We'll see how he does. It's very exciting and beautiful to watch.

Pat, this is wonderful news I am so happy for you and Tyco.

As you know, I had a similiar problem with Charlie. He didnt fly for about 18 months and it broke my heart.

He now can fly across the room again but needs to learn his flying skills all over again.

Im not suprised you are so happy, it feels like when your kids take their first steps! Such a wonderful moment.