NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot proofing feeder doors!

chelseaB

Hello, I had a bit of a scare this morning when I came out of a back bedroom & found Biscotti calling to me from on top of the refrigerator. I thought he was safely secured in his cage. He had apparently figured out how to reach through with his beak or tounge & flip the little arrow shaped latch thing out of the way & pushed the door open & got out! This was the door way at the top of the cage they call a nest box door, doesn't have a spot for a feed dish. I closed it a put a heavy piece of package tape over the latch thing on the outside so it can't be moved to open anymore. Just wondering what you all have come up with to make them parrot proof. This really scared me, thank god he can fly as the dog was in the house ( I never let them out together, not worth the risk ) & he was smart enough to stay high & get on the refrigerator!

Any ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you are for the replys I was a bit unnerved to find he could escape his nice new cage! I did find a place online that sells a nice set of stainless steel locks for each feeder door. I guess this is a common problem! They are easy to install, they take the place of the little piece that swings out of the way & lock securly on the outside. So problem solved!