NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pretty Bird

pga7602

Hi guys... As you know, i'm new to this, so please no newb bashing! When I got "coral", the original owner gave me a 20 pound bag of Pretty Bird Macaw pellets. He told me "Coral" likes it a lot. And in deed he eats it like there is no tomorrow.

My question is, is Pretty Bird a good brand of pellets? I don't know what to look for in the poo, but what I can tell is that it's like a worm with the same amount of liquid around it. Should i convert her to what I keep hearing on this forum? That Harrison stuff?

We don't do bashing here to newbies or otherwise unless it is called for so you are safe.

I feed Harrison's high potency pellets to my grey but if you were given a big bag of Pretty Bird then I would go ahead and use it, no sense letting it go to waste.

Harrisons is deemed the best by a lot of vets but that doesn't mean the other brands are worthless and especially if Coral eats it, he is getting nutrition from it, if you want to change him over to Harrisons later after this bag runs out that is up to you.

I feed Pretty Bird Species Specific for African Greys to my grey. It is what her breeder started her on and what she loves to eat. I got some samples of Harrison for her and she turned her nose up at them. As Judy says finish up the Pretty Bird and if you want to try another brand switch over then. I believe there is a thread on where to get free samples of different brands of bird pellets/foods in the Bird Food Forum Room.

Yah, just a little worry because her poo seems a little loose, but then again, this is her third day in my house, so it could be stressed. I have no idea what loose stool looks like, but every now and again, she would go and there would be nothing but a clear thick liquid shooting out...... At times, the poo looks solid and worm shaped... :(<br><br>Post edited by: pga7602, at: 2009/09/26 03:08

It's the third day and the weekend's here... Hopefully, I'll find the right vet soon. I can't seem to locate a good an Avian vet around here.

Side convo... When you guys take your parrots for a car ride, do you use a crate or just have them sit on you? :)<br><br>Post edited by: pga7602, at: 2009/09/26 07:34

I asked my vet about the Pretty Bird Natural Gold that my bird likes and he said it has all the nutrients and vitamins and he was glad they were making it. He does carry the Harrison's brand so that tells me he endorses it and I am willing to try different brands for variety. We do use a carrier in the car, wouldn't want to take a chance of losing the bird outside, in case of an accident or unforeseen situation.

It is very important to place your parrot in a pet carrier when doing any kind of car travelling. Should you have a car accident and have to brake suddenly .. being in the carrier will help to protect your parrot should he be tossed out of the car. An example would be those pet carriers that are used for cats.. these would be considered appropriate.<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/26 19:29

Thats great to hear, Coral will be much safer in the crate but if I were you I would invest in a travel carrier to use for vet visits and also to take her on outings from time to time so she does not associate being in it with going just to the vet, you want to make it an enjoyable experience for her.

judygram wrote:

Thats great to hear, Coral will be much safer in the crate but if I were you I would invest in a travel carrier to use for vet visits and also to take her on outings from time to time so she does not associate being in it with going just to the vet, you want to make it an enjoyable experience for her.

I don't mind spoiling Coral. I am planning to spend lots of money on her :silly:

Really.... what's a travel carrier? It sounds like something fun!

Pretty bird has a lot going for it. First, it's a pellet feed. It has full nutritional needs. And is a good, balanced, low fat food.

Some don't care for the colored pellets, but it's not a big deal.

Sounds like Coral likes Pretty Bird and is used to it. Your vet can tell you if she is getting the nutrition and fat levels that are good for her. Otherwise, there isn't a reason to change.

Regarding the vet, I see on your profile that you are in California. You'll likely have good luck finding a good avian vet in your area. If the breeder is in your area, ask him/her for recommendations.

judygram wrote:

This is the site I got my travel carrier from and it comes in two sizes, a great invention:

http://www.thecountryroost.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=28_29&osCsid=4ec0032e6a6be60a4dcb415e2d1f5af5

Judy, I want to order one right away. That things is so cool. The larger one can even double as a sleeping cage when I go traveling lol

What size did u get?