NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Potential Breeding?

1sydneybird

Hi! Im not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but I have been "mom" to Sydney for almost a year now. He has brought so much joy to my life!! He is a spoiled little guy, and is my baby. We love each other so much, and have an incredible bond! I have the opportunity to re-home a female (Syd is 8, female is 6) and I would LOVE to have a sweet loving couple!! What, do you feel is the potential that they would breed? I am fully prepared and willing to be a birdie mom, as is my family. How hard is it to breed these loves???

Well hi and welcome to the forum. Is it that you no longer want Sydney to be a companion but a breeder? My understanding is that the two don't mix very well. We do have a few members who breed greys and have different companion greys so I'm sure they can answer your questions. But I would love to see some pictures of Sydney if you have any to share.

If you get a female for Sydney I doubt that they would breed, they would have to bond with each other first and they have to have certain conditions for them to want to mate with each other even if they did bond. Besides Sydney is already a pet and pets do not make good breeders. Breeder birds like their privacy and do not want any human interaction.

If you want this grey for the additional companionship then that is fine, she may get along with Sydney just fine and she may not. You will have to provide a separate cage for her as they need their own space to call their home.

Thanks for your responses! No, I do not intend to "turn" Syd into a "breeder" He is my baby. I was just hoping that if there was a female, they would breed. I didnt know that pets dont make good breeders! Thats too bad :( Is there even a chance that they would? Yes, I would have a seperate cage for her.:side:

OK!! I posted here before I got Syd, but forgot my user name and password! I tried to ad photos, but the files were to large, and Ill have to ask my teenager how to shrink them (haha) Lets see.....I have Roxy, my quaker, who is 4, Ive had him since he was 12 weeks. Sydney, who will be 9, my TAG, adopted last February. I can not tell you how blessed I am by this little man. He is the most gentle, well behaved, hysterical guy around!! Although, if you ask my children, they think he is too loud and annoying. He has the most incredible vocabulary in the world, and is SO smart! He is my little love. He is rarely in his cage when we are home, and prefers to be wherever we are. He is potty trained. He does not like baths, but prefers to be misted, or the hilarious attempt to fit in his water dish! He talks to Roxy all the time, but poor Rox cant respond!! Like I mentioned, I have to opportunity to home a female, who is kinda quiet. She is 6. I know that Syd would take well to a companion, as he tries to interact with Roxy. I DO NOT leave Rox and Syd alone, but once have held them up to one another, and Syd bowed his head to Roxy could preen him. My husband worries about the dander 2 greys would have. They are dusty ones!! What else? Hmmmm, they only eat organic food, fruit and veggies, although I have caught my husband sneaking Syd a piece of ham once....he loved it.... :P Thats about it for now!! Thanks for asking!