NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Something I found on salt

Tari

here's some information from "Avian Medicine: Principles and Application- Abridged Edition" by Ritchie, Harrison and Harrison.

Excessive comsumption of salt can lead to:

polydipsia: excessive or abnormal thirst

polyuria: excessive passage of urine

depression

neurologic excitement

tremors

opisthotonos: severe spasm in which the back arches and the head bends back and heels flex toward the back

ataxia: loss of coordination

death

On the other hand, a deficit of sodium can also cause problems:

In some parrots, sodium deificiency may play a role in some cases of self mutilation. It can also lead to:

"a decrease in cardiac output",

hemoconcentration: fluid is removed from the blood resulting in a higher concentration of red blood cells- thicker blood

reduced utilization of protein and carbohydrates

soft bones

corneal keratinization: keratin (the protein that makes up hair, skin, and nails) is deposited in the cornea

gonadal inactivity

adrenal hypertrophy

Tari, very good information. Thank you for researching and sharing that with us.

The question I have, is how much salt is too much? Talon loves nachos, and they are loaded with salt. How many does anyone think is safe to allow her. (I know that zero is the safest) But, I have family members that think sharing is "nice", when actually "safe" is nice.

Guest Lidia

Tari, an occasional treat is going to be fine. I wouldn't let her eat more than one or two nachos and certainly not every day.

Ya I know Ill be cuting back on the chips and stuff. Bought some cheerios to give them instead. Whole grain. Good treat or and mine love the zupreem Parrot Crunch. I let my hubby feed that and they only get it from him so that they think of him as a good thing incase he ever wants to hold one. lol

Nikko loves stuff like crackers and tortilla chips, but I limit them. I also wipe off any excess salt particles stuck on the chips.

The ratio of potassium to sodium that should be fed to a bird is 3:1, so perhaps if you feed a high potassium food with nachos, it will balance everything out? Just a wild theory. Nikko's blood work was pretty good recently, but her potassium could stand to be a tiny bit better and her sodium a tiny bit lower.

Guest Lidia

It is hard. I only have to think "chocolate" and I swear Joshua's ears prick up. And I don't think he particularly likes or wants chocolate, I think he wants it because he sees my reaction to it.

ps. And I am sorry, Talon, for calling you Tari, you know what I meant!<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/17 19:19

Guest briansmum

here in the UK you can buy crisps (chips) that are unsalted and the salt comes in a little blue packet in the bag and you put your own on, so i take a couple out for bri before adding the salt. i dont know if you can get them anywhere else, but it's something to look into, they're called "smiths" i think

Guest Lidia

They actually need some salt, like we do, but just as we don't OD on salt and tend to avoid over-salted food, so should they. It's nothing to get worried about. A little bit of human food is fine, just avoid salty and fatty stuff.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/19 10:49