NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why do they bite?

Aly~

I know there are any number of reasons why a bird may bite. I've only had a couple of truely get out of my space bites so far but last night when I was sitting in Rebel's room chatting with her and playing with shredded paper she played normally until I turned around to go get her a cookie and she grabbed at me from behind. She only got my shirt, but I felt it through the shirt. It would have been a good bite had I not had long sleeves on. She was playing fine, so I assume she didn't want me to go away and thought that maybe I was leaving? I don't want her to think that she can bite me to get my attention or make me play with her, so I closed up the cage said good night and left the room.

What should I have done?? She basically sneak attacked me from behind. NOT NICE!!!

Aly~

and Sneaky L'il Rebellious Grey

Puzzle_Rebel-df7f2b96c8fd194772421b3ef3f11d23.jpg

Puzzle_Rebel-df7f2b96c8fd194772421b3ef3f11d23.jpg

We were really not playing rough at all. I brought home some shredded paper from work and put it in a big bowl for her. She was digging through it then sitting on her perch chatting. I thought it was the perfect foraging opportunity for her so I was going to get her treat to hide in the paper shreds. She loves making a mess of paper. She was on her perch by the open door when I turned to get the cookie.

So much to learn from these little guys!! It took me 26 years to learn my daughters moods!! Am I in for another 26 with Rebel?

Aly~

I agree, Rebel probably thought you were ending the game and didn't want you to leave. So you did the right thing. Did you also tell her no bite before you closed up the cage? So she knows what she did wrong. Ana Grey use to call after me when I left the room. I got into the habit of telling her "I'll be back" and she now waits patiently for my return. Perhaps that will work for you too.