NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

One Bird or Two Birds, pros and cons

Janfromboone

Periodically I consider getting a little sister or brother for Tobie. Usually these urges pass after a while but each time they come they are stronger - kind of like trying to decide if you want to have a child or not I guess. I'm wondering what everyone who has two birds in the house or more think about it. Does it overwhelm you making you doubt your sanity when you brought the other bird in. Are they flighted, are they male and female or two males or two females, how do they get along togeather and how old was the first bird when the second one came? These are some of my questions. Just thinking about it. Would it be good for Tobie, or a big stessful event?

I have two flighted birds, not sure what sex either of them are, probably both male. Beau was 7 months old when we got Argyle (who isn't a grey) but they are let out seperately as Beau was showing signs of being jealous. They are great company for each other and Beau doesn't seem so bored when I come home from being out and I feel less guilty about going out these days. Argyle being a smaller bird eats a lot less than Beau and it isn't double the work either.

How old is Toby? My guess is, if you are thinking about it you will eventually do it as that's how I started out - thinking about it. :laugh:

Well we have a male and a female, we got the female as a friend for the male, both are flighted.

We had Rangi just over 8 months before Kea came along. They were both babies which made it easier for them to get along. We have had no problems of them getting on and they are actually in the same cage. They are bonded to each other but Kea is obsessed with my boyfriend and Rangi loves me so we have no issues with them rejecting us in favour of each other.

Yes my sanity is tested sometimes because if one is up to no good in one room you can be sure the other is taking advantage and is up to no good in the other room. Really it hasn't been as bad as I thought. My first thought was god how do you get both in the cage at the same time, but as soon as one goes in the other wants to follow. We always use this trick, if you get one to do something the other one always thinks he/she is missing out and wants to follow. Using this method has made things very easy.

For us it was the best thing we could have done for Rangi it didn't stress him at all, he was happy before but we really noticed a positive change in him when Kea came along which we never thought would happen as he was happy before her or so we thought.

I have two birds, my grey along with a sun conure and they don't get along but they co exist just fine as long as I keep a safe distance between them when they are both out. Josey doesn't have all her flight feathers right now so she can't fly but my conure does. She never goes to her cage to bother her but if I have both of them on my shoulder at the same time I have to keep them on separate sides.

Having two birds is really no more work for me than having just one and even though they are in separate cages they are company for each other while I am gone.

I doubt it would be stressful for Tobie, he probably wouldn't pay much mind to another fid in the house.

I am very happy to have 2 parrots. They provide companionship to one another when the humans are out of the home.

It can be a balancing act sometimes because my little one is a bit of an instigator and sometimes jealousy rears its hairy head but I wouldn't change things.

With that said, I would not be able to handle 2 greys. Emma requires alot of mental and verbal interaction.

Sometimes it feels very very much like having a human toddler and if I had another grey .. she would get less personalized attention than what she is accustomed to. I think I would also feel stretched thin.

Having a pionus parrot is a very good complement to having an african grey in my opinion. My pionus is more laid back and independent. She requires less verbal interaction from me and more scritches. :) I can handle that.

I think parrots are very adaptable to change and eventually come around to newcomers.

I only recommend that you recognize what your personal limits are and if you should get another parrot.. do it because YOU want the parrot and it's ok if Tobie can't stand the newcomer.:)

My pionus parrot was my first parrot and she was 15 months old when she first met Emma. Today they are both flighted and this is great because the little one can fly away after she provokes. Thank Goodness Emma never tries to go after her.

I know for a fact that they do enjoy being in the same room as each other and am ok if I am not around.<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/25 15:01

We have three birds - Dixie (grey), Sterling (U2) and Tequila Blue (sun conure). I couldn't imagine not having all of them. They are like children with very distinct individual personalities and that's what makes having the number of them so fun. Clean up - not much different than having just one bird, the only thing it takes just a few minutes more than with only one.

Fixing breakfast requires a tray to carry bowls, a little longer on the clean-up and twice as much fun and conversation with my little guys while serving each. Just imagine the joy you already have multiplied! Plus you get to talk about each one that much more to your friends.

Look to the positives, but also weigh the costs that are concerned and be realistic. You can never give them too much love, time or happiness, you already have that in abundance!

Thanks so much for sharing your situations and advice. I guess I need to decide if I'm doing it for me or for Tobie as Emmas mom said and others have said in other ways. Also, Frank loves Tobie though he doesn't personally handle him much. I wouldn't want that to change because of all the time my birds are taking away from him. Two does sound like the right number though. Tobie would get to experience having another bird around and that couldn't be anything but good.

I'm SO glad I saw this post! I've also had the same on-and-of thoughts about someday getting Chimay a brother/sister. He's such an interactive guy and I can just imagine how much more fun his days could be while we're away at work if he had someone else to talk to and just BE with.

I'm with you Jan...we've asked ourselves the same questions on what gender pairing would be best, age gaps, etc. Usually my worry-wart tendencies kick in and I get overwhelmed, then just push the thought out of my head to stop the incessant "what if's".

Are you considering any particular species Jan? Personally, I'm not sure what it is but I am very intrigued by parrotlets. They seem like such a charming little bird but again, the "what if what if what if" starts ringing away in my head. Ha ha.

I have two, took a lot of deliberation and speaking to people who had two, they never regretted it and neither have i. I have no idea what sex either of them are but they share a large double cage at the moment, neither of them have reached puberty and i have no intention of breeding them as theres too many unwanted birds about. If and when it comes to it i shall just put the divider up or move one of them into a seperate cage.

I assume your two greys are clutchmates since they share a cage for usually two separate birds won't get along in the same cage. I would suggest you do get a divider or a separate cage so each will have a space that they can call their own personal home. As they mature they usually become more independent and may want to be alone at times.

chimaysmommy wrote:

I'm SO glad I saw this post! I've also had the same on-and-of thoughts about someday getting Chimay a brother/sister. He's such an interactive guy and I can just imagine how much more fun his days could be while we're away at work if he had someone else to talk to and just BE with.

I'm with you Jan...we've asked ourselves the same questions on what gender pairing would be best, age gaps, etc. Usually my worry-wart tendencies kick in and I get overwhelmed, then just push the thought out of my head to stop the incessant "what if's".

Are you considering any particular species Jan? Personally, I'm not sure what it is but I am very intrigued by parrotlets. They seem like such a charming little bird but again, the "what if what if what if" starts ringing away in my head. Ha ha.

Parrotlets from what I understand are alot of Parrot in a small package. They are also know for being very territorial. Introuducing the parrotlet as a second parrot would work in my opinion. Of course alot of supervision would be needed because of the size difference.

No, theyre not clutchmates but settled together in seperate cages from the beginning, they played out together fine so i bought the double cage but only had the divider in for one night, they now both know their places, Bellino, the younger one is actually the boss unless theyre outside the cage where Bella bosses him!

They dont actually play together but if one goes out of the room without the other the left one shouts to go out as well, if in the future there is any problems with trying to breed the divider will be put back in or one of them will be moved to the spare cage, im really against breeding and would rather rescue another needy bird than bring another one into the world, im currently undergoing checks with the RSPCA to be a foster parront for found birds til they get reunited with their owners or rehomed to a permanent home, dont want another one full time as i like to spend time with the 2 ive got but would love to help any needy birds.

I don't think you will have any problem with them breeding even if you turn out to have a male and a female, they need certain conditions for them to breed and pet greys do not make breeders so you are safe on that count.

Thats great that you want to open your home for foster birds, there is a real need for people to do that sort of thing.

Theres no breeding facilities for them and they only have perches, they started off sleeping in the half they were given but have now swapped round for some reason, the only bowl they eat out of is "Bellas" bowl although they have two, i think its Bellino the baby asserting his authority over her, he steals all her treats out of it then throws them on the floor and gets his own out of his bowl and wont let her share? I really have to watch him yet when theyre out of the cage its the opposite way round,

Chimaysmommy, I was thinking of another grey because I think Tobie would get along best with another grey. Again I wonder if I'm doing this for Tobie or for me. If I chose another type of bird (not really considering it) I've always loved the beauty of the eclectus. Riley on "you tube" is a scream.

I noticed a comment by Samsdad on the other post comparing adopted vs starting with a baby.

"I had adopted a 8 year old Amazon and it worked out very well until I learned I couldn't be a two bird person. I overestimated my ability to give my two birs the attention they needed. "

I guess fear of that situation is what keeps me a single parrot owner. I am working 9-10 hours four days a week though. On the days I am home from work I spend at least half the day away from home. Tobie goes with me if he can but so often he can't. The company would be nice for Tobie. When I had cockateils I never just kept one. I made sure they had each other for company.

I have 2 male, flighted birds: a TAG and a senegal. I knew I was nuts long before I became a bird person, so I'm not too concerned about my sanity. They ignore eachother for the most part, but will get aggressive if they are too close. They do compete for attention, but I set and maintain clear boundaries, so i isn't too bad. I don't really mid the extra noise, and having an extra bird is nice. You end up with fewer birdy leftovers, so they get new treats more often. I can also trade some of their toys back and forth, so if one hates a new toy, the other will probably enjoy it. The other cool thing about having 2 is that when I want a snuggle and Schroeder isn't in the mood to cuddle, Buddy usually is. When I want to take a bird out while I'm driving and running errands, Buddy never wants to go, but Schroeder nearly always does. They are like yin and tang in their behaviors and preferances and it is really nice. They are both 2. I got Schroeder as a baby and Buddy was rescued from a bad situation as an impulse when they were 1 1/2. We haven't regretted Buddy for a moment though, and we are so glad to have both of our ;ittle monsters.<br><br>Post edited by: SchroedersJen, at: 2009/09/24 06:05

• 2 months later...
Guest jamalbirdbiz

Marvin Grey seemed to exhibit much weirder behavior when he was the lone bird. Molly has beeen good for him and for all of us. ;) im glad my wife trusted her instincts and brught her home from the vet as a surprise for us - knowing that we would all love her very much. :) there have been times when i have felt like opening the windows and letting them fly freee. :blush: but those moments passs. :)

try haveing 3 birds lol ,Rudy my tag and Opey my Quaker are best friends they get along very well ,they spend most of the time in and on Opeys cage and they play together and eat together and preen each other , my other bird is KC my Eclectus he doesn't like Rudy or Opey he prefers human company to bird company and ignores both of them but he will let u know when he wants you to come get him and give him some 1 on 1 attention, he loves to sit in your lap and watch tv or just hang out with you, he is a people bird he loves people :)and I have no trouble keeping up with 3 birds once you get a routine going it's no biggie<br><br>Post edited by: RudysMom, at: 2009/12/19 07:18