NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

10 things that are poisonous for parrots

mandiskem

1.chocolate

2.apple seeds

3.advacado

4. onions

5.salt (While all living beings need regulated amounts of sodium in their systems, too much salt can lead to a host of health problems in birds, including excessive thirst, dehydration, kidney dysfunction, and death. Be sure to keep watch over the amount of salty foods your bird consumes).

6. alcohol

7.mushrooms

8.tomato leaves

9. caffiene

10. dried beans

My Breeder cooks up a pot of several varieties of Beans with veggies of all kinds and feeds it to all her Parrots from Suns to Macaw's..

They love it and are all healthy as horses.

I think it's just the Dried that is a problem?

But, the question is, why is dry bad?:blink:

Guest Monique

The top 3 items are the only items I have EXCLUSIVELY avoided for my parrots. Can't say I've ever fed them a tomato leaf but other than that if it's been humanly edible I have allowed them to have it. I'm not saying it's right either - just what I have done....

Judy and Mandiskem - You both hit the nail on the head! :-)

This string sent me on a mission for information on legumes and the like and their affect on the Parrots digestive tract.

Foods such as Legumes, Grains and Potatoes are cooked to soften the hardness, neutralize enzymes that inhibit digestion and remove impurities.

Un-soaked or non-cooked can enlarge the crop and slow down the entire digestive system, sometimes to a point it becomes fatal.

Also something to note is, non-food objects such as plastic toys, synthetic threads, rubber etc. that they love to tear apart can and do become lodged in the digestive tract and are fatal if not detected in time.

So here is another reason to not only check the droppings, but also ensure that they have not slowed down or worse, stopped completely.

Luckily for Roxy baby, she has got NO problem in the droppings area. Once a day, usually in the morning when I open her cage, she leaves a HUGE bomb behind. But after that its normal small droppings.

I have given her onions once in her veggies mix, won't do that again.

Thanks for this post.:laugh:

I ran across the link below. I'm just don't know what to think about it. Is this the point where caution turns into paranoia? It's long, just scan through it. After reading it, I did a search for this so called group and found them and the "Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce", all over the internet. The second link is to a copy of part of their report.

Does this seem a little to cautious to you??

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww18eii.htm

http://www.stonyfield.com/Organic/EWGShoppersGuide.pdf

My take on this is, I will not stop eating Fruits and Veggies.

The Benefit of eating fruit, far out weigh the deficit of trace amounts of residual chemicals mainly contained in the "Skin".

I think this does indeed run on the edge of paranoia.

But, some people are that picky and if so, good for them :-)

One thing you should all know, is that most Fruit for example, are packed in packing houses where the first thing that happens to them is they are dumped in on a conveying line that washes them with trace amounts of Chlorine and other non-toxic chemicals, then spun across rotating brush bed's with water sprayers above them and then rinsed again by water sprayers. Then depending on the type of fruit may go through a dryer and then finally packed.

I still wash them at home first, but that's just my paranoia hang-up...dont know who touched them with what ;-)

Ok, now you can all blast me :woohoo:

Guest Lidia

danmcq wrote:

I still wash them at home first, but that's just my paranoia hang-up...dont know who touched them with what ;-)

That's not paranoia, that's common sense! I always wash fuit and veg before giving them to Joshua or to me! Modern fruits and vegs are usually covered in pesticides and who knows what else. Even organic produce isn't necessarily clean.

May I say, Dan's take on packing fruit is first hand knowledge. He use to program the computers that ran the conveyers in the packing houses. He would "customize" the program for each P.H. specific needs.

I always wash everything that mass people can touch, like in a grocery store's fruit/veggie section. I also have an education in how and where they come from, thanks to Dan. I wash anything my parrot will eat in the fruit/veggie family.

I found the cooking lesson at our breeders home very informative. I couldn't believe the way the babies ate it up.

If anyone would like the recipe, PM me, and I'll be happy to share. Cooking for your Grey is NOT everyones "thing." I wasn't sold on this until I saw first hand from our breeder.

As for the list of poisonious foods here, I didn't know avacados were poisionus. I knew no salt, no apple seeds. Why on earth would a person give their Grey chocolate?? My thought was, if it is poisionus for a dog to eat chocolate, then I really wouldn't want to give it to my Grey. "YIKES"

P.S. if some of you are wondering where I have been the last two weeks, I have been sick. :sick: I'm fine now. :unsure:

Guest briansmum

that article is basically suggesting we dont feed any of those foods, which is silly, our greys need them. as dan pointed out they are cleaned in the packing factories and then we should wash them again at home before feeding them

chocolate is a killer and so is advacado pears and apples if u give ur parrot advacado it will surely kill ya parrot within minutes. salt is a no no. dried beans will not go down into the digestion system too good as the other soaked ones. onion is another poisionous thing i dont know why but it is deadly to parrots. tomato leaves are deadly to everyone if u eat them even humans.alcohol is also deadly i do not give my grey any of these at all id rather be safe than sorry . mushrooms is a no no.

Guest Lidia

mandiskem wrote:

if u give ur parrot advacado it will surely kill ya parrot within minutes.

Avocado is certainly a no-no for parrots, but it does not kill your parrot in minutes! See below for its effects:

"Avocado toxicity has been documented, both clinically and experimentally, only in psittaciformes. The toxic agent has not been identified, but it is clear that not only the stone, but also the flesh, are poisonous to these birds. There are several varieties commercially available, which appear to have differing levels of toxicity: studies on rabbits indicated the Guatemalan and Nabal varieties to cause death within 24 hours, whereas the Mexican variety appeared non-toxic in these mammals.

Clinical signs produced are those of a "sick bird" - depression, loss of appetite, fluffed feathers. More specific signs are vomiting, increased respiratory rate, outstretched wings, swelling of the breast muscles, and nervous signs.

There is no specific treatment for the condition, but supportive therapy involving warmth, fluids, oxygen, and charcoal to absorb the toxin may prove helpful if the amount ingested has not been great, and the signs have been observed quickly enough."<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/19 16:10

Guest Lidia

mandiskem wrote:

wonder why onions are poisionous .

There is a chemical in onions, N-propyl disulfide, that might be toxic to parrots, there is a certain amount of controversy about its effects, but apparently small amounts of raw or cooked onions are fine. I wouldn't give them any, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys!

ps. The same chemical is present in garlic, I think. But who'd want a parrot with oniony or garlic breath anyway! Bleagh.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/19 16:28