NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

garlic

Nikki

A question. My grey seems very interested in garlic when I am chopping it. I've given her a little bud to chew on & she not only unwraps it but bites it all up. I don't think she is eating it. Is this wrong, can it hurt her? I am talking about one little bud not the whole clove.

good thing I read this I have been giving KC my Eclectus raw garlic not very much and garlic powder for over a year now, The raw garlic I can see where that might be bad but I have heard of people putting garlic powder on their birds food before so I guess I thought it was ok any way he is still healthy but no more garlic or garlic powder for him ,this is weird I have a bottle of garlic powder and a bottle of minced garlic and there is no ingredient list on any of theese bottles just a 1-800 phone number but I will take your word for it noooo more garlic my birdies

I've also read about the harmful effects of garlic (I believe from someone in this forum whose grey was lost to garlic in fact), and for that reason I have a very strict "no garlic" policy for Chimay. Same goes for onions, garlic/onion powder, chives, green onion. Garlic is the only one that I've specifically read about harmful effects from, but I don't want to take any chances at all.

Besides who wants their birdie to have stinky garlic breath?? Ha ha! :sick: ;) :laugh:

I am very grateful to all of you that answered this post. I am glad I found this out before I made this a practice! My green cheek also loved to chew garlic buds so I assumed it was OK & perhaps good for her. I am grateful I did not harm her, over time I have perhaps given her 3 or 4 buds total. I will never allow her near another. My grey has only had one bud...I wonder why they appear to like it so much? I should do more reading!