NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New pictures of Darius & update

Tycos_mom

Well Darius is doing wonderfully he's still as sweet as sweet can be and is eating very well and gaining weight very well also. I wish he would level out so I know when he is at his correct weight I guess he will when he gets there I'm just grateful he's gaining and not losing He's so spoilt rotten I barely have time for anything any more he he's like 3 birds instead of 1 he makes huge messes in no time he chews so much wood. although he has slowed down quite a bit. I guess he chewed so much when I first got because his beak was overgrown but now that its down to a more normal size he doen't have to chew as much. He also likes to dump his food I've been giving him the heavy ceramic crocks lately because he can't get them out of the holders but the stainless steel ones he gets out of the holders without any effort at all. It take at least an hour everyday to clean up his cage and the surrounding area which also includes his hanging play gym its just mostly news paper under his Gym though just mostly to catch the poop when he's playing on his gym there isn't much wood to chew its mostly chains, Atoms, boings, ropes, and swings and he's been playing there allot more latley. he sure likes one on one time which I try to give him about 15 minutes 3or4 times a day Sometimes more if I have extra time. He's also molting out all those old feathers right now so he looks a little scruffy. Anyway here he is in all his glory my Darius. In the second picture on the foot he has raised you can see his missing toe/

HPIM5424-Copy.jpg

HPIM5422.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/09/22 21:43

Darius is so beautiful Pat and I am so happy you are enjoying him so much, I bet he feels the same about you, you two have been the best medicine for each other. His feathers are shining more and more every time you post pictures, what a beauty, thanks for sharing the pics with us and the great update.

He's not stopped gaining so he probably has about 2or3 hundred grams to go at the rate he's gaining it shouldn't take long. He is a Harlequin Macaw which is a hybrid he's a cross between a Greenwing and a Blue and gold. because his father was the Greenwing he is a very large bird because aparently the size is dictated by the father he has a wonderful personality because he takes on traits of both parents the gentleness of the Greenwing and the playfulness of the Blue & Gold. The Greenwing are second in size to Hyacinth Macaw So he is one big bird the Hybrids also are quite a bit larger than the parent bird so I've read. yes his feather lines on his face will remain red&black the Greenwing macaw has red feather line and the B & G has black feather lines so because Darius in a product of both birds he has both colours of featherlines on his face I think it makes him look very special most Harlequins that I've seen only have black feather lines but Darius got both.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/09/23 20:58

Oh Pat, he is such a beautiful creature! I can't thank you enough for taking him in, loving him so much and sharing him with us. He shines from the love and care that you are giving him and this encourages all of us to do the same for our fids. Wonderful photo's, thanks again for the updates and sharing - now teach me how to post the pictures in the forum!