NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Who "loves" their grey?

SchroedersJen

Ok, so no more petting for Josey, just head and neck scratches from now on, thanks Dave for taking the time to explain in detail why we shouldn't be petting our birds just anywhere and for those who have greys who do not allow their owners to touch them very much its just as well.

Dave, nice explanation. Thanks.

Jan, in my case Nelson's begging behavior never showed a progression toward wanting to be sexually stimulated. For him is was his way to beg and it was usually obvious what he was wanting. If he was wanting to be picked up, the behavior would stop when I picked him up. Same goes if he was begging for a treat.

To me it was obvious that Frank was wanting to mate because his behavior really changed. It started with him "trilling' to me while pinning his eyes, then he'd pump his neck and barf up a gift. For a week or so he was obnoxious, much like a cat in heat. At times I couldn't even talk to him without him starting to barf and court me so I'd leave him be until he calmed down.

Now I can see where Sam may be a problem when the time comes, because he is so playful and I'll have to keep an eye out for signs that the roughhousing and tickling are giving him the wrong message. And even now when we are playing and it's tickle time, I always make sure to stay clear of his lower area. We tickle but we don't tickle "down there". At this age he seems to be clearly playing. Dave's detailed explanation will help me in the future to hopfully realize when its time to not tickle. For now its seems to be all in fun.

Tom

When our female poicephalus started this wing dropping, mating, gurging act, I read that if they have long days and short nights and an abundance of food, they get the natural urge to mate. We changed her bedtime, made sure she is covered for twelve hours at a time, more like winter light conditions and it hasn't happened again. With a female, egg laying, even without a male fertilizing them could create serious problems.

SchroedersJen wrote:

I dnt encourage Schroeder, but I think, if I let him, he would finish up on my foot or one of his toys (his pinata toy is really sexy). Im not too keen on having bird spunk on my toes, but i am more concerned about his overall well being. I get that many of us distract them, but why? If they can finish on their own accord, is it more harmful to stop them mid you-know-what or let them finish? I don't make sweet birdy love to Schroeder, but if its in his best interest that my foot give in to the mojo, I can look the other way.

And thanks for the responses. Im glad to see that this thread didnt turn into a frat party, I was kinda apprehensive about bringing it up.

Jen, I am no expert but it would seem to me that if you let him finish on your foot then your foot in his eyes will become his mate. I would think he would become preoccupied with your foot and treat it like a mate which is not always a gentle thing. He would soon become a bird that chased people's feet. Because well..that is where the "good stuff" happens.

I'm with Char on this also.

All critters MAY try to engage in sexual acts with their caregivers. You see it in dogs, cats etc.

I don't no how others deal with those situations, but I stop it immediately and let them know it is not acceptable on my body. If they desire to go do it to another like critter or stuffed toy fine. But not on me.

It does not take many times for them to get the message, as others pointed out. Stop what your doing if you notice they are responding sexually to a certain way your are petting them.