NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need your opinions...

jessdecutie18

Yoshi is now just over 5 months and eating her foods just fine, yet I'm still giving her formula every night... So I've noticed that say yesterday, she was in her cage while we were out and she doesn't like to eat in her cage (last resort only). By the time we got home, it was late, and we took Yoshi out (she was super happy to see us) and I mixed up the formula for her. She gulped it down, even bent over the bowl and scooped some of the formula up herself before I could spoon-feed her. Today though, she was out all afternoon and ate lots of her fruit/seed/pellet mix and when I went to feed her she seemed uninterested (two or three mouthfuls and she didn't care anymore). Should I stop the hand-feeding altogether now?

What do you guys think about having your Greys' on your shoulders? Yoshi is always trying to get up on my shoulder now, and my husbands... She nibbles on my ear, and she is learning that that is not okay... she poops on me, and that's gross on your shoulder... and of course I've gotta be careful not to wear earrings :P I just don't know if I should stop allowing this altogether or if I just need to let her know what is not okay.

That's all for now :)

Shoulders

No matter how sweet, kind, loveable, cute and adorable your grey is right now, if he gets the idea that he can go on your shoulder, I guarantee you that in the future, he will give you an absolutely free-of-charge lobe piercing for your next set of new earrings that you buy. If you wear a chain on your neck, they're able to snap and break it without even trying hard. They love shiny jewelry. This goes for your husband too because as far as ear lobes go, there is no sexual preference. Another reason for not doing the shoulder thing is that if you use some sort of hair grooming item in your hair, they will get to it because they love to preen hair. If they do get to that cosmetic, they will swallow it and that's a no no. Another thing about the shoulder is that when it comes time that you don't want him there, they will give you a struggle when you try to catch him. They'll race over to the other shoulder and they might bite if you persist. They're very agile and have great ability to skirt around and away from hands.

Weaning ting has finally arrived. Continue giving her the formula at the same time she's eating her other food. See what she prefers. When she absolutely ignores and turns away from the formula, that's it. Goodbye formula<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/14 07:15

My thoughts on shoulders are that it's ok if I put them up there, but they MAY NOT go up there on their own. I have not had issues with wither of my birds, but I was very lucky and they mind me all the time. If they every try anything naughty up there, it will be a verbotten zone, but so far no issues. I should note that I never wear any jewelry around them (except for my wedding set) and cant use hair products (they make me itch) I would follow Dave's advise if you have anything in your hair, jewelry or a willful fid.

Daves advice its Totaly correct Dusty has killed a few gold chains to date, As for the shoulder i'm naughty Dusty uses all our shoulders. He's Never hurt any of us (yet) but my idea about this is (and its only my idea Dave is the Guru). Greys are fast and very smart if they want to bite they will, if its something close like ear lobe or hand or face. If is blood they want they will. What i try and do is read the satuation and if i see Dustys Eye's pinning or i think something is Bugging him. Then i try not to let him in a postion where he can give a bad Bite. As Dave will say some time i will get bite (and hes Right i will) but its working so far.

I have never let my grey on my shoulder from day one. She is now a year old and doesn't even attempt to go there. The reason I didn't want Ana Grey on my shoulder to begin with was that I didn't want poop running down my back. For some reason Ana Grey never poops on me now but then she no longer tries to go to my shoulder either; so we are both happy!