NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I think My dog went away to die

Tycos_mom

I have a dog he's an American Colliex Boarder Collie He looks like a B&W American Collie I've had him since he was a little pup and he is now 14 almost 15 yrs old. He went deaf about a year ago. And about a week and a half ago he started not wanting to come in the house anymore at night he started sleeping in the mud room. He wasn't eating either so I took him to the vet and she checked him over and said there is nothing wrong except he's old. So I brought him home and put his food out in the mudroom and water because he refused to come in the house and I can't force a 75lb dog to do anything he doesn't want to do for the last 2 nights I haven't seen him at all his food has not been touched in the last week and I think he just went off to die somewhere I live in the country so he could be anywhere. I put up posters and checked the humane society & the SPCA but I really don't know what else to do I don't really think he's going to be found. I'm very upset.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/09/14 04:29

His name is Destiny I got him from the pound. I went there looking for a small dog and saw this beautiful pup they told me he was going to be put to sleep on friday if someone didn't adopt him. I didn't take him because I wanted a small dog. all week I thought about this little pup and I phoned on thursday to see if anyone had taken him. he was still there so I went and got him. he has been the best dog I've ever had. I called him Destiny because I think me showing up at the pound was destiny I was supposed to have him.

Oh, my heart goes out to you. To lose a pet is so upsetting, but these circumstances make it worse to bear. It's no consolation to you, but for 15 years you have looked after Destiny, who clearly didn't have a future. I can't imagine how you must be feeling at the moment, but I'm thinking of you (and Destiny). :kiss:

Pat, you have my heart felt sympathy about Destiny's disappearance. I had a 15 year old Schnauzer named Max. One night after a long busy day I was going to bed, and of course telling all the little heathens goodnight (the three pugs and three children) and went to my room to say goodnight to Max before going to bed myself. We had a dog door and because of his age, he spent most of his day in his bed, in my room. Unfortunately, there was no Max. After about a 20 minute search I found him, quietly laying behind the shed, already gone. I was heartbroken. My dad helped with the situation in telling me how dogs know when it's their time and he was trying to spare me the burden by going off to die. He go as far away from me as possible, in a place I would never normally go. While I hope you find Destiny and get the much needed closure of knowing he is either safe or went peacefully, remember the care you gave him and if it was his time, the care and love he was trying to give to you.

Its starting to really hit home now that he really gone its been 4 nights and no Destiny my heart hurts and the tears have started. I just want him home one way or another even if it just to say good-bye properly Ive looked everywhere I can think of there are places on the property that I can't get to because of the overgrown blackberry bushes but he could this is very hard on my heart strings.

My heart goes out to you Pat. I hope you find your beloved Destiny, one way or the other but know this, your dog had no future when you found him, you gave him love, care and a good home - not to mention 15 years he wouldn't have had without you. I'm sure he knew he was loved and loved you back, so much so that he probably knew it was his time and spared you the distress by going off in that way.

Hugs winging their way to you from this little corner of the UK

While you are heartbroken at the circumstances with your beloved Destiny, I hope it helps to know that we are sharing your grief. It is hard to find words to say how much we care and want you to feel better. May years of love and caring and happy memories bring you solace.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I keep looking out my door thinking he might be there but its been 5 days now and no Destiny I guess I'm going to have to live with the knowledge that he went on his terms. I guess they know when its time and their natural instinct tells them to go some where away from the pack to die. Its so sad I would have prefered to be able to say good-bye and give him a proper send off but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Rest in peace my dear friend where ever you are you will be very missed I love you so much