NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Parrot "Bite Me!!!" Club

danmcq

I have been thinking about this for a while. There are occasions when Misty bites. It's rare that he bites hard and when he has it is because of a mistake I have made. If I see it is my fault or mistake I don't blame him. Otherwise as a rule when he does nip too hard I explain to him that I am not best pleased and there are consequences. But the thing is I quite like the fact that he can nip on occasions when we play games like me creeping up with "Monster hands" It shows that he has set boundaries and he is not afraid to let me know! That he is his own person! I am not talking about bites because he feels he has to keep me at bay or because he is just plain mean minded. He is not at all like that! He will always take a beak rub to show we are still palls.:)

Am I making any sense?

Steve n Mistyparrot

Yes, sign me up for the 12 step program. Buster my african grey likes to bite on occasion! Ha!

Your in..but there is no program, other than just know you have lots of company! :)

There is too a step program. Its known by how many steps to takes to get to the first aid kit.

You guys are silly! There is no 12 step program, and you don't need a first aid kit. I've been bitten twice in my lifetime. Didn't need a bandaid. Nancy

You are lucky. The last time the zon bit me you could see bone in 2 places. It was all I could do not to scream.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been bitten twice nw. First time was when my dad put the African grey on my arm, the bird is attached to my dad, and then he walked away. I tried holding her near the cage she nipped me and climbed on it. 2nd time was just this evening when she was on my arm(I had thick layers of clothing and a jacket) my dad walked away....again!!!!! And she started biting or actually eating me! If I didn't have the layers of clothing I wouldn't have a hand left.

I did notice that she was wiling to go in my hand when my dad was around and she was streamlined even then but when he walked off her eyes were focused, she was streamlined then she started attacking!

Is it possible that she attacked coz my dad wasn't around? And how do I prevent getting eaten?? Oh and can I join this club? :)

Edited by nasupops

hi nasupops,

i guess its only about confident and trust.grey understand if you scared/unconfident around them.

my momo likes to chew fabric clothes/leather,i dont know if this also encorage him to 'play' with your hand.everytime i offer step up to momo with clothing,he will chew my hand to feel the texture of my cloth.is your dad step up him with bare hand or layers of clothes?

i was get bitten before but now 99% is stop because he knows im not scared of him and im still gonna try to make him step up to my hand.sometimes he try to bite me but thankfuly now its only a ''pretending'' bite.

good luck! :)

My dad uses his bare hands so I can kinda understand why he was trying to chew on my jacket. I definitely need more confidence! Guess I have something new to aim for the next few weeks or however long it takes! He did nick me today bt it was nothing and I wasn't upset about it like b4! Lol, seems like u guys have helped me already!

Thanks for all the advice! And seeing how so many of u'll have been bitten and still persevere, lol, has helped me be more calm about this whole thing

signature_Amz.jpg

The first thing that you need to do is establish whether or not you are indeed being bitten, or just being "beaked".

Biting is not a natural behavior for birds, so chances are that your bird is not trying to be aggressive. There are several reasons that a bird may "beak" you as opposed to giving you a true bite. Many times, birds use their beaks as a third "hand", or to "test" perches before they step on to them -- and bird owners often confuse this with being bitten. While being "beaked" may not be the most pleasant experience, it is much different from being bitten, and anyone who has ever really been bitten by a bird will tell you the same thing!

Birds will dish out a true bite now and then if they are frightened or feel cornered. These bites are often quick and hard -- and the bird's body language will let you know that he or she did it with the intention of causing pain. Many times a true bite will break the skin, or at least result in a painful "dent".

Once you have determined if you are being bitten or "beaked", it will be much easier to learn how to deal with the behavior. If you are being beaked, the only real option is to put up with it. It's a fact that birds use their beaks in this way and the most experienced bird owners understand that it's all just part of owning a bird. If you are in fact being bitten, however, there are steps that you can take to help put your bird at ease, and curb this undesirable behavior. For tips on taking the bite out of your bird, look over Correcting Bad Behavior in Birds.

• 2 weeks later...

OUCH! I'm glad I don't get bit like that. Just a quick bite on the butt when Sophie is sitting on the gate. Kiki will clamp down, when she doesn't approve of my telling her to get off the dining room hutch. Sunny always bites ( rescue), if you put your fingers in his cage. If anyone has on white bathrobe, he steps right up. Noone bites Ryan.... everyone loves him. Ryan does the " least work", but spends a ton of time playing the guitar, singing and talking to them. ( showering as well). It just proves the " fun one"... is rewarded, and the workers... are second best. Nancy

I'm joining. I actually have a question. I am a new bird owner and have a Timneh African Grey named Timber. I am his third owner (that I know of) and his age (according to the first owner) is 4-5 years. I've had him a couple of weeks and we have made a lot of progress, but we still have biting issues. I've been going really slowly with him so he has time to adjust to us and his new environment. Here's my question (finally). He will now let me scratch the top of this head (when he is in the mood). Last night, I was gently scratching his head. Out of nowhere, he turned his head and bit me (not horrible but drew blood), then he immediately dropped his head for me to continue scratching. What does this mean and what should I do? Thanks!

Hi Timbersmom, I have had my greys since they were weaned and if I tickle/scratch their heads/bodies in a way that is uncomfortable for them, they will nip at me to let me know that they are not happy. ( Perhaps a pin feather coming in and I moved it uncomfortably for my grey.) After the nip, then my grey will low her head again and want me to continue the tickle/scratch. Perhaps that is what happened with Timber. Please introduce yourself and Timber in the Welcome Room so everyone can say Hi and get to know you.

Tough question. If it was a new bird, I would suggest returning to cage, try again in a half hour. I also would have said firmly " NO!" As a rescue, totally different game plan! We have a rescue as well who was horrible! Noone wanted him. I spent a week with him, constantly reassuring we loved him. Then I got pneumonia. I was very sick. I slept on the couch, where that was where I was comfortable. His cage was five feet away. I left his door open, since I was always there to supervise him. Within a week, he walked out to check on me, would hang out, watch movies.I was home for three weeks. Sunny hung out with me eventually all the time. I know he knew, I was sick. Kids would feed and play with him, but he was always concerned about me. He found his " forever" home. He goes to all of us, and is bonded with our Amazon. We continue to have a " special" relationship, which I'm sure was created when I was very sick Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Jasper is pretty set in his mind when he doesn't want to do something. He's not been one of those cuddly babies..ever..still he's a pretty sweet guy when he wants to be. Our relationship has improved alot since he's been home, I have learned to respect his wishes when he doesn't want to be touched or scritched, when he does he will lower his head for me. The trouble is sometimes he just doesn't WANT to step up. Now I am taking most of the blame for this one, looking back I am 100% sure I could have avoided it. It happened something like this:

The other morning I decided to go grocery shopping so off to the shower I go with Jasper in tow. He got a little wet and proceeded to chew up the curtain liner while I showered. My shower perch just won't stick to the surround so I have it on the mirror instead. Once the shower is done he goes from the shower rod to the perch on the mirror. I get dressed and..here's my mistake...ask him to step up so I can take him back to his cage. He grabbed my fingers and pushed them away. No, I am going to the store, we don't have time to play around, let's go, step up. *nip*. Hey! Bad boy, come on I need you to step up..BAM. I'm bleeding everywhere, he gets put in the hand towel for the trip back to his cage. I should have left the room and given him a moment. When I leave him, he'll likely step up so as not to be left alone again.

This is the part that kills me. I am all for respecting his wishes but there are sometimes that he needs to just step up and don't argue. What if it had been an emergency? Silly bird. It's like 3 or so days old now, picture below, somewhat oogie.

NM I can't figure out how to include a picture, it's not letting me drag anything. Still pretty new to this forum, lots to figure out.

How old is Jasper? He sounds young! If sooo... lots of training ahead and you are on the right road. NEVER give up on stepup training. EXTREMELY important. As the trust develops, so does the following of your commands. Been where you are. I was lucky when we had a house fire, we were at the stage of trust to stepup immediately. Birds were all out on play gyms... I don't think I even said " stepup". Birds were put in their cages, dragged outside, ripped up the hardwood floors... of course, didn't care. Dogs were put in the cars. Of course if they didn't allow stepup, I would have toweled them.( birds can complain later!) Fire was put out, and I am proud to say, our practiced fire drills with kids paid off! We did it exactly as we had practiced, remained calm, and everyone was safe. Nancy

Wow Nancy you sound like you were really lucky all things considered. Jasper is only 7 mos old and he's never been the cuddly kind of bird. He'll do just like he first did when he doesn't want to be scritched or touched, he will push my fingers away and I respect that. I usually *ask* him if he would like a scritch and he will lower his head if he does. He's generally pretty good about stepping up, I don't normally push him to do things he doesn't want to do. That's the first time he's really got me since we came to this understanding. He's a pretty headstrong individual.

Jasper is young. Keep doing what you are doing! Sophie our grey, was adopted at age two. She picked us... the least experienced, out of four families that wanted her. We interviewed poorly, as Sophie was all over us, talking baby talk. I couldn't even answer owners questions! Second interview, sucked as well. All over me... couldn't answer any of his questions! Told kids... she wasn't coming home. Too many experienced owners applied to adopt her. We were picked! I asked why? We have no experience! Owner laughed... told us, it was always about Sophie! She picked the family she wanted

The moment she came home, was the best day of my life! She picked the lock off the traveling cage driving home, and was on my shoulder driving, within five minutes, wagging her tail! Kids were screaming! I'm yelling... " remain calm!" Sophie was amused by our antics!That was 12 years ago, Sophie has taught us what we needed to learn. She is my best friend, and I think she is happy with her choice of family7. Nancy

Ok, so I have to admit I'm a HUGE chicken when it comes to pain. That being said, I've been bitten a few times by Amy. The last bite was probably a year or two ago. I kind of lost confidence. I'm so scared of getting bitten now that I am timid in my interaction with Amy. If you read my previous posts around the site you know that I'm wanting Amy to lay on her back in my hands, etc. I'm not sure if Amy has a trust issue but I think that I do. She likes when I scratch her head and she'll step up on my hand or arm etc. But I'm scared to go beyond that. I'm afraid if I try to touch her back she'll bite me. It's not so much the bites that were so terrible but the fact that she wouldn't let go. And I'm afraid if she starts biting she'll continue. So I've just been avoiding any situation that might possibly result in a bite. Is it possible for us to get past this?

it is hard to get past your concern about being bitten, but it is important to develop trust between the two of you. I'm sure, Amy is just as scared, when you try to get her to stepup. Open the door, talk to her, read a children's book to her. Thank her for hanging out together. Do it daily, don't have any expectations. Over and over, to the point, she expects this time together. You are developing trust. It doesn't happen overnite.

I am no expert, but after having birds for many years, I was at my birdstore when an adorable new baby flew to the ground after meeting new parrents. Everyone that worked at the store, were busy, new parrents were scared. Tried to pick up baby with no results. I only intervened since bird was scared as well as new mom and dad. I picked up baby with " stepup", he struggled, but knew I was helping him out and knew I was no threat.Baby sensed my confidence. That being said.... the day I picked up Sophie at the age of two... she was sitting on my shoulder within two minutes of picking her up in the car. We all freaked out! She laughed soooo hard! We have come along way the past decade! This family has been thourougly trained by Sophie. Nancy