NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Parrot "Bite Me!!!" Club

danmcq

Papaleka... it stinks that she favors your husband right now, but I promise you, that can change! Be consistent with your beliefs, diet and love. Let baby see you and hubby together interacting. It is a long process. PATIENCE is the number one thing birds need beyound food, water and love. Another thing I feel strongly about, but of course is just a suggestion, is no shoulder status allowed until earned. Its a true pain in the butt, but worth it in the long run Nancy

thats what I told my kids ... I told them 1. dont be scared of her, be confident when you go up to her ... 2. TALK TO HER ... dont just go up to her with your finger sticking out :rolleyes: 3. dont pet her belly or try to pet down her back just do little scritches behind her head when SHE wants them and 4. take the time to get to know her before you expect her not to grumble when working with her. :D

and course ........... PATIENCE !!!!!!!!!!! (something an 18 n 17 yr old dont have) :rolleyes:

One thing kids have on us.... is being more natural! They don't get why we fuss... When I was fretting over Sophie's feather that needed to go, ( she was actually limping) she knew how muc h it bothered me! Kids handed her the feather to trim.... told her to get rid of it! She did! Done kids said! Whats next? LOL Kids really don't stress out like we do. Ryan and Sean have a fantastic relationship with the birds. Very calm Nancy

This is a club I'd have to join.haha. Bandit has a tendency to try getting his point accros by biting. Usually it's when he's on top of his cage, and more so when he's climbing on the side of it. Not quite sure why. It's not taller than me so I can just move quicker than him and "sweep him off his feet" so to speak. And he stops. It does become painful. I do remember, however the first bad bite from him. I know it wasn't his fault because he was younger and was just trying to catch himself. But he decided my finger was the place to chomp down on. And when I tried to pull him up he decided he wanted to try to chew my nail off and I had to quickly remove it not with out and rip in my skin and started to bleed pretty badly afterwards. He still does try to get nippy I just give him a quick no and quickly change what he's doing maybe showing him a new toy or something.

Does anyone else experience the getting nippy when they're bird is on their cage or on a stand? This is definitely something I'd like to start working on. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thank you!

Lexy and Bandit

Greys are very posessive of their cages and gyms. Thats why stepup is sooo important. I always trained my birds away from their comfort zone. ( cage and gym) You've got to make it fun and exciting to go off with you. A tour of the house, going off to read a book that they can destroy! Anything they like and enjoy, to want to stepup. One of Sophie's favorites.... lining up all my spoons in the opening next to sink. She can throw them into sink. She LOVES it! ( she likes the sound they make). Such simple pleasures, makes such a HUGE difference. Always think " outside the box". I know they do! LOL Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

happy.gif

By far and away, the most common question I get is about biting. A typical question is something like this. “My bird is usually very well behaved and suddenly, for no reason at all, he bit me. Why would he do that?”

I’ve covered biting before but I think it’s important to do it again. I spoke with a parrot rescue organization called Foster Parrots (they are the organization you support every time you buy something from Bird City USA) about why people give up their birds. One of the most common reasons is that the bird started biting and the owner didn’t know what to do.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – if your bird bites you, it’s your fault! There, I’ve said it and it’s finally out in the open. A lot of people will disagree with me but on this one at least, I’m right.

The most common reason a parrot bites is because you’re trying to make the parrot do something it doesn’t want to do. Maybe you’ve decided it’s time to watch TV with your parrot and you go to take him out of his cage and he doesn’t want to leave. Maybe you’ve got your parrot on your shoulder and want him to come down and he doesn’t want to leave. Birds like high places and your shoulder is a perfect spot. In the wild, birds will compete for the highest spot in the tree. Parrots often do not want to go back into the cage but we can’t leave them out all of the time. All of these are situations that lead to the parrot being frustrated, upset and angry and the natural response is to bite.

The other common reason for biting is that the parrot has bonded with a person. When another person comes into the room, the parrot may try to bite them to “protect” his mate. They may also exhibit displaced aggression by biting you instead. They can’t get to the person they want to bite and, in their frustration, they bite you instead. In almost all cases, your bird bites because you have put them into a situation where they feel uncomfortable and you didn’t pick up the signs they were getting ready to bite.

What are the signs that a bird is getting ready to bite? They are different in each bird but you should watch for tail fanning, eye dilation, feathers tight to the body or the crest is up. If you’re not sensitive to these signs and remove him from whatever is causing his anxiety, he is very likely to give you a good chomp!

The other question we have to look at is this – did you train your parrot to bite you? Wait a minute, how could you train your parrot to bite? That’s the last thing you want to do. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional, but how about this? You’re holding your parrot and he reaches down to bite you. You immediately say “bad bird” and put him back in his cage to teach him a lesson. So, what have you taught him? You taught him that, if he bites you, he gets put back in his cage where he’s comfortable, has food, water and all of his toys! This is a good thing. Every time he wants to go back to his cages, he’s learned that all he has to do is bite you and you’ll put him back. Another example is when you’re holding him and he tries to bite you and you give him a treat or toy to distract him. What you’ve actually done is to reward him for biting you! Now, what’s he going to do when he wants a treat? Yup, he’s going to bite you.

OK, we can talk all day about why your parrot bites but what you really need to know is how to stop the behavior. The best way to do this is simple. Don’t put your bird in a situation where he’s uncomfortable and never try to make him do something he doesn’t want to do.

If he does try to bite you, the best thing to do is what comes naturally. Just drop him to the floor. Birds don’t like being on the floor, there are lots of predators down there and they are very uncomfortable on the floor. This accomplishes two good things; it stops him from biting and puts him in a tough situation. Let him sit there for a minute or two and then put your hand down for him to climb up on. Don’t worry about being bitten, at the moment, you’re the best thing in the world to him – you’re going to get him off the floor! Be sure to praise him or give him a treat when he steps up.

One philosophy I always teach is that if you get bitten it is always your fault. It is never the parrot’s fault. No exceptions. You have either caused the bird to bite you, or you were not sensitive enough to recognize the posturing and other non-verbal warning signs that the bird was giving you. Once you take responsibility for getting bitten you will begin to develop the sensitivities necessary to avoid the bites. Another thing that will happen at this time is you will stop showing off your wounds and scars because you will realize they are not medals of bravery but rather signs of low sensitivity and compassion.

If he does try to bite you, the best thing to do is what comes naturally. Just drop him to the floor. Birds don’t like being on the floor, there are lots of predators down there and they are very uncomfortable on the floor. This accomplishes two good things; it stops him from biting and puts him in a tough situation. Let him sit there for a minute or two and then put your hand down for him to climb up on. Don’t worry about being bitten, at the moment, you’re the best thing in the world to him – you’re going to get him off the floor! Be sure to praise him or give him a treat when he steps up.

NEVER knowingly do anything that may cause a parrot physical or emotional harm. Dropping a fid, particularly a flightless fid can result in broken blood feathers or even bones.

NEVER respond to a fid's aggression with aggression. This method is deliberately intended to shock the bird & put him in a position where he feels defenseless. He may well allow himself to be handled in the moment, but it will have repercussions later.

There is no "one size fits all" method to deal w/biting. But all behavioral problems should be met w/positive correction & this is negative & potentially dangerous.

Edited by birdhouse

• 2 weeks later...

I unfortunately joined this club the second day we got our chambie. We adopted her from a couple from Craigslist due to them starting their family and chambie is known to have a dirty beak ;) she has always had male owners so she wasnt quite sure of what to think of me. She instantly bonded with my boyfriend but I had to work with her for her to be friendly towards me. Anytime I would get up I would always go up to her cage and talk to her and Try to bond. Well on our second day with her, she was in a good mood and I was feeling very brave and tried to pet her. I put my finger in and she latched on instantly. This took me off guard and I pulled my finger out quickly and said "ouch chambie that hurt me!" she then tilted her head and replied in the sweetest voice ever.... "oh, I'm sorry." this was the sweetest thing ever, it's hard to be upset when your animal apologizes :) after she said sorry she lowered her head and let me scratch her. Love her

Edited by Chambielove

Most times Misty is not a biter but he loves jumping into any drawer that I dare to open in his presence! If I dare to try and lift him out he will show his lack of appreciation by trying to bite my hand!:mad: He even has his own drawer now as I figured that if I let him have his own he would let me open mine in peace. Fat chance!:rolleyes: He also used to be a bit of an ear nipper but that is rare now because he realised that would only earn him time out in his cage. Nevertheless if he is on my shoulder when I go to the bathroom and forget to put him on his rail or if he is in the kitchen with me and I dare to forget to treat him with the odd morsel he will tickle my ear with his beak and that definitely gets my attention!:eek:

Steve n Misty

today is the first day i teach momo step up command and OUCHHHH..he bite me!!not bleeding but it pain!i keep insist to offer my finger and after 5 times he stop biting.he does step to my finger for 1 second and fastly runaway.mmm start from today i ''officially'' join this club!

lets see what kind of bite i will get tomorrow!:(

Momo... read more about the stepup training on the internet. Look into other ways. I've heard clicker training is good ( way after my training days!) Sounds promising! I've also heard of " stick training". I don't know enough about that either! Any ideas guys? What I don't want you to do, is constantly get bit for your efforts. If you're getting bit... not working! Don't go back for more punishment. Alternative plan, and we are all here to help you find it. nancy

hi nancy,unfortunatly this is the best method for momo.i tried clicker as well and target training.he is very lazy and never show any interest to go follow the stick.

today i try to step up him again,he does better.he dsnt bite me that hard,only a little nip.i guess he just nervous.i will see more days and see what happen.

mmm is it any other way to make bird step up?thanks nancy!

Its been over a decade since I worked with Sophie at age two, when we adopted her. She was " rehomed", but from a fantastic dad, that didn't have the time she needed and deserved! He put her needs beyound his own, so believe me, she came from a great home, and many of us wanted her. She picked us ( we didn't know a thing).

I opened her door, we played games in front of the cage everyday. Within two weeks, she walked down to us, wanted to play! We ignored her, we were very involved with our game. We all told her Hi!, but kept doing what we were doing. She wasn't interested in being dismissed! LOL We told her she could play. She had to stepup to the person's who's turn it was. She was okay with that! We didn't pay any attention to the stepup process... she was " slowing us down!"( of course, it was all about her!) Sophie LOVED games. All stepup was, was about being on a team. She learned how to " stepup". Yes, she was tricked, the stepup, was no big deal.

12 years later, Sophie continues to love games, is very competitive.The moment I walk in the door, her foot is " up", ready to go! Sometimes I have to tell her, I'll be there in a minute! If she gets impatient, she will tell Ollie and Zoey (pups) " pick me up!" LOL Nancy

hi nancy,

sophie is very cute,hope momo will be better day and day.i guess i need to clip his claws because its the most painful part.my hand always bleeding everytime he step up.

thanks nancy,i will try maybe he also interest in games??? :)