NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Parrot "Bite Me!!!" Club

danmcq

They certainly have their personality quirks. Timber will go for hubby's hand often when he is changing food, adding treats, whatever inside the cage. Outside the cage, no problem. I assume it is a form of cage aggression. I can do anything inside the cage, but I am the chosen one.

20140131_180032.jpeg

I figured I'd make my second post to this thread. This is me learning fro Garcia when enough "Kisses" are enough!!! She grabbed my lip while perched on my finger so naturally i jerked my hand away(I used to have a 5ft iguana so i know the importance of not "jerking" when BIT) and she hung from my lip flapping away till i picked her up and she let go. It could have been A LOT worse. I was lucky she didn't bite thru my lip. Also she can fly due to a broke wing that's why she hung from my lip for so long.

Wow, you were lucky! That takes even thinking about giving kisses off the list of things to do. I would recommend not bringing her within grabbing distance of the Face at all. She is 17 years old and has a ton of baggage it will take you months to become aware of. In rescue, I am sure you know to be very slow and cautious of what you do with a new bird.

Wow, you were lucky! In rescue, I am sure you know to be very slow and cautious of what you do with a new bird.

Thats where i messed up, i got excited put too much trust i her. Right after it happened you could tell she knew she messed up. Its been 2 months since it happened and no more incidents.

All birds whether rescues or babies, should never be allowed near your face. It is a pain in the butt! I remember vacumning with Sophie on my wrist, as she wanted to be with me. She always slowed my cleaning! Kids and I worked out the respect she needed with her cage. NEVER inside her cage, worked off the door. When she wasn't sure what to do when she first met us... we left her door open, played games in front of her, she lasted 24 hours and walked out to us. For six months, she was never allowed past wrist status. You will know when your bird has earned shoulder status. Sophie on everyone's shoulder in our home and we can pass her around, and she is more than happy! It is important to focus on what each family member can bring to the table. What does your bird love about each person? We all know, what Sophie loves about us. We work off of that. In the end... after a decade of having Sophie...she goes to all of us. She is a pain in the butt sometimes, as we are her " toys". I wouldn't have it any other way. Nancy

• 1 month later...

Reading through some of these post make me wonder How many of you do and don't let your grey sit on your shoulder? Zeke doesn't bite me and I let him ride my shoulder with no issues, he is 8. I briefly had an umbrella cockatoo thAt I didn't trust and would not allow on my shoulder. That is a seriously scary beak! I pay a lot of attention to Zekes body language and if he's on edge I just let him be. He has bit my two year old twice on the finger & once really hard on his nose. He got my husbands lip when he came in for a kiss from above (he tolerates hubby but I'm his favorite). Yesterday I had Zeke on my wrist and my 3 year old daughter was running repeatedly under him, I told her to stop, she did it again and he lunged to bite me but I was able to dodge. So I'm at risk if my kids misbehave and he is on me :)

Yup... you are at risk.Everyone who socializes with your bird, has to be at wrist status. The trust develops for each human. I know how annoying wrist status is... Sophie LOVED to vacumn with me, but had to be on wrist. It truly limits your getting chores done, as Sophie always wanted to be with me. It took six months. The day she was on my wrist I was paying bills online, she stopped and started biting the air, rather than me.... saying " NO Sophie... NO BITE!" She finally understood! I went crazy! Did a happy dance, yelled for kids to come down and see Sophie. They all thought I was crazy, but I knew she finally understood. Wrist status went to shoulder for all of us that day. That was a decade ago. She is up on shoulders for all of our family. I am proud to say, we no longer say " stepup", that is also a thing of the past. Her foot is up and waiting the moment she sees any of us. Nancy

Peck gets to claim this month's entry - a double whammy last week. Me on the wrist, daddy on the inside of the arm (ouch!) with a nice welt and bruise. No pain with mine and due to the location and the fact that he 'clicked' a nice little chunk of skin out, I will probably have a nice scar. Tiny, but nice.

He's very hard to read at times. The other night, he was up on the net, which is a couple of feet above my head at the edges. He was flapping his wings and I was encouraging him, flapping my arms and saying "Come on! Flap!" He then took flight, and landed at my feet. I expected him to try to attack my feet, but he didn't. He just walked past them. Other times he will chase me all around the cage if I am trying to get bowls. I suspect some of it is just cage aggression. Once he's more comfortable with me, I think the aggression will tone down. At least I hope so!

Every bird I ever had was a shoulder bird. Not only did I have to earn their trust, they had to earn mine.

When you reach that point of shoulder privileges it`s a great thing and can say a lot about your relationship and your bond with your companion.

Trust runs both ways.

Ours are all shoulder birds. My biggest concern is the mystery poop vs getting bit.

Our biggest problem with biting is the jealousy bite. If I'm holding Toby and showing him any kind of attention Greycie will either bite my neck or my ear or in some cases she'll lunge at Toby and get me instead. She's only once ever bit hard enough that it drew blood.

Everyone has their plan for their bird. Some do shoulders, some do not. You have to make your own decision! Another thought if you choose to do shoulder from the start.... be careful what earrings anyone wears!!!!! Sophie was, and is, fascinated with all earrings especially anything that shines! She is a " gemstone" fanatic... and can have those diamonds out before you ever felt a thing! Kudos to my girl. It is painless.... you don't even know she has them. Gotta love her for the painless part at least! (as well as excellent taste!) Nancy

Every bird I ever had was a shoulder bird. Not only did I have to earn their trust, they had to earn mine.

When you reach that point of shoulder privileges it`s a great thing and can say a lot about your relationship and your bond with your companion.

Trust runs both ways.

Emphasis mine.

AMEN!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

YES! WATCH those toes! I can't stand my toes being licked and caressed by anyone! Now fast forward a decade later with your bird, this is what you may see. Sophie caressing Sean's toes, snuggling her beak against them while he is watching TV. ( YUCK!). He has very ugly toes. He rubs her head with his toes and doesn't even know he is doing it. I find it gross and unhealthy, but it is not my business. I'm sure I make a gross face... LOL Nancy

Misty has discovered that pulling at my hair when he is seated on the headrest of my computer chair is very good fun.:eek:

For me less so. It is not as though I have that much to spare!:o

I don't consider it to be a jailing offence like hard biting but I have told him that if he continues with this behaviour I might pull his feathers. (Not really but don't tell him that!)

Steve n Misty

Guess I can officially join this post. Alex is 4 and was re-homed to me just a little over 2 weeks ago. He only drew blood a few times but is slowly learning as I gain his trust. Mostly nips now. I have been putting his treat on my wrist and he comes to the outside perch to get it. He will take his treat and i keep my wrist there as he eats it. He sometimes follows up with a nip when he is done. I do keep my wrist there while he eats his treat. Hoping this method works over time. I also tell him No Bite when he nips.

• 3 weeks later...

Just was on the receiving end of one of my worst bites from Jake to date. I came home last night after traveling for work the last 5 days (longest I've been gone from him so far) after a few hours of him being mad we had a cuddle session it was... Awesome :)

Then this morning Jake gave the hubs his weekly bite, of course after that I moved in to put him in his cage for a few minutes. It was after the step up when I was pierced by the sharp end of his beak in the meaty pad of my hand below the thumb. Man that smarts! Funny how wounded my pride is over the matter as it has been months since the last time I received a significant bite from him. After giving him some time to think it over (aka not returning his calls, smooches, making eye contact) we are on speaking terms again. I can't stay mad at him despite the pain I'm in... He is after all only one step removed from the wild and I can accept what comes with with the responsibility of having him as a companion.