NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Parrot "Bite Me!!!" Club

danmcq

nightstar... so sorry jesse attacked you! You rose above it so kudos to you! Jesse seems to be a little bit in love with your friend. Thats okay, since greys usually pick one person. ( in the beginning!) sophie picked me when she first came home here at age two. Now 13 years later... she goes to anyone.What worked best for us, was to let Sophie hang with us as a family. Witness our interaction and love for each other. As we play alot of boardgames, we played games in front of her. She eventually walked down off her door, wanting to be part of our group. I ignored her at first, then said hi sophie! She climbed up, but eventually wanted to go to the next person who's turn it was. This is how she first learned to stepup. She learned stepping up to the next person won her praise and she eventually caught onto the competitive edge of our games! LOL! The one thing though.... Sophie was NEVER allowed on anyone's shoulder. Boy did she try. It took us six months, which actually is rather quick, before she was allowed and completely trusted on my shoulder.She eventually earned the trust of the boys( as well as she learned to trust them), before she was on their shoulders. Now, she stepsup and goes to all of us, shoulder, chest, feet etc. Her choice. She hasn't bitten. Even if you just feed Jesse... eventually bird needs to learn the family dynamics.Jesse needs to learn " you are a package deal". It takes time. Be patient and forgiving, but NEVER give shoulder status until full trust is established. Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Cosmo's hasn't bitten me yet, except for an occasional "hard squeeze" if he's angry at me for some reason.

Here's one... We have a parrot pet shop located in Shrewsbury, N.J named "Bird Jungle". None of the parrots (and they have just about every species kept as pets you can think of) are caged, they sit on perches throughout the store, with wings unclipped and free to fly around. It's actually amazing. All of the parrots are bred on sight. I frequent "Bird Jungle" whenever I get the chance to drive down there. One day, I came upon a Severe Macaw, sitting on his or her perch with a written sign over head that stated "Take me home and I'll love you forever!". I slowly offered my finger to him/her, softly saying "well hello there, yes, your a pretty bird, aren't you". As my finger approached it's under-belly, the bird rather slowly bowed it's head towards my finger and what seemed as if the parrot was just going to feel me out with it's beak, the bird enveloped my index finger completely, and started biting the living sh*t out of it! As not to make a scene, inhaling in pain, I started saying "nice bird... OK, OK, OK...Ahhhh". It let go after a few seconds as one of the staff approached me and asked, "are you OK?" I answered "yeah, I'm fine", she said that he (so it was a male) does have an issue with biting. I thought to myself, then why does he have a sign over him saying "Take me home and I'll love you forever?". About 15 minutes later, I developed two really nasty blood blisters on either side of my finger, just above the knuckle.

Maybe not completely related to the grey subject, but the other day i had to hold an cockatiel at my work (as a vet assistant), to give her a little injection in her chestmussle. She somehow got her head sqeaked out of my fingers, and bit me in my indexfinger, but i couldn't let the cockatiel go because she was getting her injection. So for 20 seconds i had a cockatiel trying to bit off my finger... wasn't enjoying it, but throw the years i've started to learn to just "accept" the pain intil someone can get that nails, teeth or bird out of my hands.

Kiwi, my grey, wasn't nice to me either today.. we where cuddling for a little while when she decided to want to walk on the railing of the sofa. Instead of just sitting there or walking around, she went on sitting wright behind me, and every 30 seconds biting me in the ear. I thought maybe my hair is anoying her, so i thought the first bit wasn't really meant to bite me. But after a second, and a thirth, and! a fourth time i had enough of it and just put her back in her cage.

I don't know if it was here intention of playing but i sure didn't liked it! She didn't bite really hard but i didn't enjoyed it either.

I am shocked that your petstore lets the birds fly freely. Mine would NEVER allow birds to fly freely and bite the customers. They DO have a general gym, but the birds that are there are monitored closely with customers. Nancy

What I could never figure out is how they manage parrots possibly flying out the door when a customer either comes in or out of the store. In the two windows on either side of the entrance, they have Amazon's and Macaws sitting openly on perches, just like it was Macy's window. It is a very unique parrot-pet shop I do have to say!

Awww you guys gotta smarten up! LOL! Now my only bites, are on my ASS when I open gait separating kitchen from family room. Meant to keep dogs out of family room as they love to pee on the rug. Hardwood floors every other room. Terriers suck at potty training, or I just suck! LOL! Sophie LOVES to bite my butt when opening the gait. Always careful her little mitts are safe. My thanks is a quick LOVE bite, certainly doesn't hurt, but Sophie is ALWAYS amused! Its a game she started and thinks she is sooooo cool! I don't repremand her, as I know its a game, and she now knows and respects the rules. Its a game, and I can escape quickly and say " Ha Ha!" You missed me! Sophie understands the rules, so never encourage this game with a biting bird. We are way past that luckily. This is just a discussion with a very happy bird and her mom. Nancy

Just joined the forum today, decided to join this club as well. My living room is rather small, between the end of the sofa and Pooka's cage there isn't a lot of room to squeeze past. Sometimes Pooka will be suspended on the arm of the cage, while the cat Stormy is sprawled on the back of the sofa closest to him. Walking between these two is like being caught between the scylla and charybdis. If I am staring Pooka down, Stormy will give my backside a swat. However, if I am keeping my eye on her Pooka WILL nip my shoulder. He does this to anyone who goes by. "MY cage! Back off!"

Otherwise the only time he gets bitey is when it is bedtime and he's reluctant to go. He will refrain from biting until he has securely stepped up - THEN the knuckle on the thumb gets a savage pinching (he rarely breaks the skin).

Edited by Dedawen

Have not been bit yet, guess Ive been lucky, Ive been beaked, just a checking of the surface.

But I also read all the advice here about body language and eye pinning so I don't even make an attempt to mess with him if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

When I join the club, Ill post the blood LOL

KatieG17 OUCH! That looks very painful, and it is obvious with swelling around the bite, inflammatory process is going on. I hope you washed the wound well and applied a topical antiobiotic. Don't take it personally. It was NEVER a personal attack against you. PACO will be your best friend eventually. Patience is number one, trust is number two, education is number three.Of course each step has several steps to get there! We are all here to help you. Nancy

Although this doesn't involve a bite from a Grey, (thank goodness!), I thought everyone could learn a lesson from it. I was sitting in my recliner, watching TV, with my Cockatiel & Lovebird on my lap. I was wearing pajama pants and a T shirt. The birds were climbing all over me, as usual. All of a sudden, my 'tiel bites down on a place that no man would ever want to be bit, and no woman ever could be. I hope I'm not being too vague here. It was really just a nip, but, what a surprise! I guess this puts me in the "Bite Me Club", no? Though, I've been bitten many times, by many birds, before. Just never there.

Edited by BaileysPapa

• 1 month later...

My CAG Poly bites only during the period of fool moon, For those 2-3 days Poly is not in a mood for anything, he don't speak, don't play, AND BITES HARD....he is probably turning into werewolf :-) Nonetheless, he does not bite when I am cleaning his cage, giving him food and water. After this 2-3 "critical" days he is OK again - playful, dynamic, talkative, curios.

Does anybody else have similar experience with " werewolf-parrot" ?

My little Gilgirl is moody and will spend quiet days but I have not tracked it by the phase of the moon. Is her room lit by the moon at night? Maybe covering her cage would make a difference, or closing the drapes during full moon. My house is surrounded by trees so I generally don't notice when the moon is full even though we have no window coverings. However when I stayed at my sister's home, there were windows on two sides of the room and the moon would track across and keep the room bright at night. Just wondering if Poly isn't getting a good rest on those times, I know I didn't at my sister's. It would be great if I had an external clue to when I will be on the receiving end of a quick swipe.

...it is not matter if the moon is shining or it is cloudy, if the moon light gets into the room or not, if Poly can see the moon or not - it is just that period of 2-3 days of the fool moon.

Poly can not see the moon, because the room windows are not facing east, his cage is properly covered, so it is not moon light that cause him being nervous. He is not nervous during the night - when he go to sleep he sleeps well just like any other night, but during the day/days he is biting with no visible cause and it is just for those 2-3 days.

Many people claim they are sensitive to the moon although some scientist disagree on this, but some agree (there is even abbreviation MSP - moon sensitive people).

Those who believe in moon sensitivity have made the following "chart" :

FULL MOON: The Full Moon influences the psyche of animals with noticeable intensity. Veterinary staff and Animal Control keep busy during this phase. When an animal is upset during the Full Moon they tend to be restless. Dogs and wolves are known to howl during the Full Moon phases, while birds become agitated and become disoriented. Cats hide. The Full Moon tends to rattle both humans and our pets' emotions.

NEW MOON: For a sensitive animal, the New Moon, not unlike the Full Moon, supports intention and therefore it is a time to change old habits which block awareness. It is a time to tune into nature's vibrations-which many cats, dogs, other domestic and wild animals may do. Animals seem to naturally tune into the New Moon phase, understanding it is a time to chill even though this can be a challenge. The animals' senses are heightened and sensitivity will be seen in each New Moon phase.

SUPER MOON: Unlike a Full Moon and New Moon, this phase is when an alignment of the Sun, Moon, and the Earth called perigee-synergy occurs when the Moon is at its closest to Earth (perigee). Animals tend to be ultra sensitive during this time of a very big full moon. Like humans, the power of the electromagnetic fields during a Full Moon phase interacts with our own magnetic field increasing the ability to sense or feel the stress around us. The animals tend to notice the interaction quicker as it is part of their survival instincts to stay away from danger or snuggle with a caregiver.

WANING MOON: The Waning Moon is a time when sensitive animals will tune into their sixth sense and know it is time to hunt, gather food, and build their homes in order to protect their family and prepared for the future. The Waning Moon, unlike the Full, New, Super Moons acts like a brake. For an animal, domestic or wild, it is a time to put natural instincts and the nesting mode into action for self preservation.

WAXING MOON: Sensitive animals use the Waxing time frame to rest, to heal, and to become more aware and alert to its surroundings. It is an interval to slow down. Sleeping and staying calm are par for the course of this moon phase-unlike the other action-oriented lunar phases. It is a period when animals become more aware of the connection between the soul, mind, and the body. It is a time of awareness of well-being and celebration of life.

BLUE MOON: The Blue Moon occurs when there are two Full Moons in one month. In other words, this lunar phase is much like the Full Moon and repeats its patterns. The difference between the two Full Moons comes from the astrological sign the moon is passing through therefore the intensity of one Full Moon would affect an animal's psyche in one area of life and the second one in another area of life. It is like our companion animals and wild animals get a double dose of the Full Moon and its intense vibrations on Earth. But note, emotions are no more on edge that at any other Full Moon.

Interesting relationship you have suggested between the moon phases and moods. There are many quasi-scientific theories relating to phases of the moon. New and full moons have been attributed to sudden changes in mood, increase or decrease in fertility, and occurrences of mental illness. Despite numerous tales and popular conceptions around phases of the moon, there has yet to be a conclusive scientific study shown to reliably link them to any related phenomena, whether that be birthrate, crime or mood.

However, it is interesting that you have noted the change in your greys behavior during a full moon. It could also be a change in your behavior affecting your grey as well. :)