NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Argyle doesn't like hands

Joolesgreyuk

I know it's still early days with Argyle and we've had him less than two weeks, however he does seem a little wild to me. He is a great talker and I'm sure he was well looked-after by his previous owners but he doesn't like to be approached with my hand/s. Even if I'm offering food he will lunge at me. He won't bite if he flies onto me it just seems to be the hands he doesn't like. Another problem is he rarely comes out of his cage and if he does it's usually only to go on top of Beau's which is not recommended with Beau inside!

I'd appreciate any feedback from members with previously-owned birds. Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome these problems? The one time I did get my hands near Argyle he seemed to really enjoy his head being scratched but he hasn't allowed me near him since.

I don't have any experience with previously owned birds but do you know any of the history of his former home? Maybe they can shed some light on why he seems to be afraid of hands. In the meantime give him some more time to settle in, he needs to learn to trust you and it takes longer with rehomed birds so be patient.

Hopefully some of the members who have taken in rehomed birds will give you some insight into how you can best accomplish getting him over this bump in the road.

I think it will take a while and lots of slow gentle talk and interaction to gain his full trust. Try singing or reading poems or stories to him, Pookie is not a music critic but she loves it when anyone sings. Some time s Greys can be protective of their cages and don't want you in their space. If it is hands he doesn't like then try an arm or wrist with your hands closed.

I found the best way of dealing with Jeepers my Severe Macaw was to always ask or tell him what I wanted before I did it and to go in as slowly as possible. Mini Macaws are wonderful but they do take some time to get used to their new home. He may not have been handled much in his previous home for awhile that's probubly why he was being rehomed its the number 1 reason people rehome their bird because they don't have time for them or they don't want to spend time with them either way the bird is usually without their loving companion for quite sometime before they decide it would be better for the bird to have a new home. So now its going to take time and patients for the new owner you to resocialize him this is a easy task all it takes is patient and love and your time don't worry he will come around give him a couple months to let him settle in and learn to trust you. he probubly feels betrayed by his companion because he's been rehomed so he's unsure about trusting again right away but birds are forgiving and he will come around soon enough