NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Internet ads seems to good to be true

croz124

I have recently been looking for an African Gray, maybe two. I am undecided about a Congo or Timneh, they are both pretty. Anyways I came across a couple of ads through internet classifieds. The ads stated they had two 18mo Congos for free to good home. The lady replied back to me saying they were vet checked, DNA, microchip and great health. I have also seen a couple at local pet stores for prices ranging from $800-$1200. My question is why she would be giving them away when she could sell them like other sellers? Are there various scams out there because it seems nothing is free anymore or could this lady really be genuine and want the best owners she could find.

There are scams but on the other hand, some people are more interested in finding good homes and aren't interested in the money. You would need to have a mopre detailed converstion concerning her intentions. There's other birds on sale in pet stores but it's a well known fact that many pet stores sell inferior stock and the owners don't even know the condition of the bird's parents. You can compare it to a puppy mill. That's why the best choice is a private breeder who supplies all information, guarantees, vet checks, weaned birds. I can think of 3 different places on the net that sell birds and there should be a law stopping them from doing that.

The internet is full of such scams and they can be very clever in separating you from your money, not to say that the offer of free birds is too good to be true but it usually is. You can reply back and see what comes about but I can almost bet my life that it is a scam.

The offer could be genuine but odds are it is a scam.

Thanks for the advice.I think in these two cases they appear to be scams because one lady told me she had no phone when I requested a phone conversation. All she mentioned was she would ship the birds for an even $400. The other person had such terrible English and was saying stuff about being in the Navy and going on a mission to Cameroon. Well, I happen to be in the Navy and saw through the BS. I'll keep looking carefully but will stay away from the pet stores as well. I just feel so bad for those birds in the stores.

Look up the classified ads through Lycos and when you start reading them, even the ones for sale, many sound so similar. Another option I looked at was a legitimate adoption through a rescue service, however, many birds have been so severly neglected. One Gray got so stressed he plucked all his feathers out. Many others have developed unbreakable bad habits.

Rescue is great but not everyone can handle those birds as some are abused in one way or another and some of them will never trust another human being. If you have never had parrots before I would not recommend you take that route but there are some that end up in rescues because the owner passed away and there is no family member willing to take the bird or birds. You can always check into local bird rescues for what they have available.

Do not mistake that only stressed out rescued birds pluck, we have members here that have greys who pluck and they are loved by their owners, some greys are just prone to pluck and there is not much you can do about it.