NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Camilla's Announcement

Spinner

Can you believe how fast these chicks are growing? This morning when I checked Camilla had her wings spread to keep them all covered at the same time as Dave described. The way these parents tend their young makes me so happy. It just is endearing to see the intelligence and dedication they are capable of showing.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing fast, indeed! Chick one is 16 days, chick two is 14 and chick three is 12. And the egg (which obviously isn't hatching)

Here is a pic taken this morning while Camilla was getting some sun. Use the egg for size comparison from earlier shots.

Two_Week_Old_Chicks.jpg

It is bittersweet for the fourth egg to still be intact. For me to have the frame of reference to watch the others grow it has been fascinating and educational. Dave, when you pull them and band them can you tell the difference in size visually, or will the weight help you distinguish hatch dates?

I feel so bad but at the same time overjoyed. This morning, the three chicks were introduced to their new nursery. All three are doing great and weigh 140g, 158g, and 174g in order of hatch date. Their respective ages are 20, 17, and 14 days old.

I feel bad because I took the babies away from such good parents. Camilla is still in the box preening herself.

Here's an image of two of the chicks in their new home. The third is playing behind one of the stuffed toys and didn't care for the bright light. Yayy....color images!

Two-Chicks-First-Day-Out.jpg

I've reconfigured the cams to have on nest box cam that will flip between the two pairs, and one nursery cam. Links are on each page. More pictures to come. Enjoy!

Look at those adorable little babies, I want to just pick them up and squeeze the daylights out of them.

Camilla was probably preening herself as she is very proud of her accomplishments for a job well done.

Now all that is left is the story of how you managed to get those chicks away from Camilla and Gonzo, details please Dave.

Oddly enough, Gonzo stayed out of the nest box while all this was going on. He clearly isn't intimidated by me, and has no issues with using my finger for bite exercise.

To get the chicks out, I simply slipped my hand between the first chick and Camilla without any incident except for her growling. Hardest part was getting my hand and the chick through the access hole. I forgot just how big the chicks are, even at this age. Having watched them on cam for so long, I lost perspective on size.

Taking out the next two, however, were a different story. We all know just how intelligent greys are! She learned quickly and decided to take a little chomp on my finger.

Bloody-Finger.jpg

It's actually looks much worse than it was - I tend to bleed a lot, and I just let it go for effect. :P I put on my lightweight gloves and took out the other two without further problems.

Wow Dave you are a brave man to do that but I am surprised you only had that one bite, severe as it was but I would have expected more interference from her.

They are adorable little babies and now you get to enjoy holding them to finish out their growth into full size greys and then you have to part with them, the really sad part of breeding them, you can't keep them all.

Absolutely, you can view them on your favorite channel- look for nursery cam.

Oh, and now that the babies are out of the dark, the images are in color during the daytime! I'll be adding more light in the coming days, so the images will improve.<br><br>Post edited by: Spinner, at: 2009/10/25 21:54

The trio of three-week-old chicks is quite a handful, especially when they get squirming. Amazingly, I was able to get the picture without any new shirt decorations.

Handfull-01.jpg

After returning the group to their nursery box in the brooder, I wanted to get a group shot of the trio huddled together. In perfect timing, they parted and faced away from the camera! I guess they don't care for the big-eyed lens.

Dont_Make_Me_Look.jpg

All three are growing very nicely and are prolific eaters. They are each consuming about 20cc of formula per meal and would eat more if it was provided. Chickie one is 190g from a start of 170g four days ago. Chickie two is 186g/158g and three is 166g/140g.