NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Camilla's Announcement

Spinner

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh happy happy day! I go check the nest every chance I have and this time I got to see all three chicks together moving. The close up cam is incredible. To see their little wings and beaks and see them in motion just enthralls and delights. Thank you so much for showing us what it is like for this family to thrive.

Today I saw Camilla pick up a chick with her foot and move it under her in one swift efficient motion. Gonzo picked one up gently in his beak. The little ones were opening and closing their beaks as if they were peeping and I saw tiny little outstretched wings and tiny little feet. This is incredible. It looks like one chick has its eyes open.

The three chicks are all doing very well - they are moving around well, and look to be developing as expected. The oldest chick is eleven days old and is starting to develop some down. Chick two is nine days, and chick three is seven days. It is easy to tell the hatch order of the chicks as there is a clear size difference between them, even with only two days separating them.

The bird room is alive with the sounds of the chicks calling for food - the smallest little peep, peep sound. Camilla is often heard cooing to the young in a very calming song, while Gonzo continues to look amusingly "large and menacing" while protecting his brood.

While we still hold out hope, it's looking like egg four might not hatch. It is four days past the expected 28 day hatch period, but it is still being tended to by both parents.

Meanwhile, the nursery is being setup with the brooder, feeding supplies, nursery cage, and other necessary items. As always, I can't wait to get to hand-feeding time and interact.

I think you are all making up these stories about seeing these babies. Every time I go to take a peek Camilla's in the way or Gonzo's got his bum firmly wedged in the camera lens!

Shame about egg four Dave - fingers crossed it's just enjoying the inside of its egg a little too much! :)

I have seen them several times and Gonzo coming in to feed Camilla, this is fascinating to watch and I know you can't wait to pull those chicks so you can take over and cuddle and play with them, wow would like to be you for a while Dave so I could enjoy it but you certainly have given us a view we would otherwise never have seen.

I have been out of town for four days and could barely stand not seeing these babies. It is amazing how much they have grown. This is just the most beautiful family. When you start hand feeding, it will be a lot harder for us to keep up with you. Thanks for helping me fill my waiting time with the marvel of your video cam of miracles in motion.

A couple of updates:

Camilla discovered she can knock over the wide-angle cam, as it doesn't have a glued-on sleeve like the other one. Since it's mostly useless now (she pops it over right after I reset it), I'm returning that channel (8082) to Bonnie and Clyde's video feed. Besides, those two are starting to spend more time in the nest. Go to 8081 for Gonzo and Camilla's cam.

The oldest chick is two weeks old today, and its head is almost as big as their eggs. Quite the growth rate! Legs, feet, and wings are developing well on all the chicks, and there's a thickening growth of their first down. They are starting to get big enough that they no longer all fit under Camilla's chest, requiring her to spread her wings out in a protective, warming canopy.

Once I pull the chicks to start hand feeding (in about a week), I expect to have a cam on the brooder for continued monitoring. There will certainly be the opportunity for some good color photos to be taken as they continue to grow - something I couldn't do in the nest box without the threat of Gonzo ripping into me :P

Enjoy! And don't forget to watch Bonnie & Clyde's overtures. Who knows, there might be eggs there some day soon.

I noticed when in earlier it had been knocked over again ! I can see the chicks (very occasionally!!) lol and they are growing .Cannot wait to see them in the beooder will be awesome .Many thanks for letting us watch this wonderful journey .:)

You try to block them from the nest box by closing it off, but I'm never fast enough. A little preparation and practice will help.

Gonzo is the really protective one, so keeping him away will make things much easier.

But, I'll tell you exactly how it's done after I accomplish the task:laugh: