NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Showers and the preening gland.

lovethatgrey

{Feel-good-00020114}My african grey Emma truly loves her showers. They last anywhere from 10-20 minutes and a jolly good time is had by the both of us.

I've noticed that no matter how much I spray her she never looked soaking wet or drenched.

I've always thought that it seemed a bit odd because I really spray her very thoroughly with my hand held showerhead and am certain that she couldn't be any wetter if she were caught in a rain storm.

Emma also helps the process alot by spreading her wings and fluffing up... (I always call her my sexy eagle when she does this and she loves it). Alot of members on here and other forums have posted pictures of african greys who look soaked to the bone after bathing or showering and I thought that was kind of neat.

I asked my avian vet about this today. She told me that Emma is in excellent health and her feathers are thick, plush and lustrous.

The reason why she never looks "soaked" is because her preening glad is functioning very well.

Did you guys know any of this?<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/05 01:37

The only time Schroeder ever looks soaked is when he has gone swimming in his pyrex bath tub. He doesnt get really wet in the shower either. Neither does Buddy (senegal), though after I shower them, they nearly always go for a dunk in their tub or water bowls. I wouldnt worry about it too much. If your bird is happy, healthy and good lookin, there isnt anything to worry about, it sounds like you are doing an excellent job :)

lovethatgrey wrote:

The reason why she never looks "soaked" is because her preening glad is functioning very well.

Did you guys know any of this?

I thought that every bird owner knew of the preening gland, it is located on the back at the base of the tail and when you see your grey vigorously rub their beak back there they are getting some of that oil on their beak and they distribute it over their feathers as they are preening, makes them waterproof, thats why water rolls off their feathers.

So is it a bad thing if i massage my birds feathers in the shower until she does get as wet as posssble? she sometimes does not get wet at all in the shower and i assumed it was bad so i massage her feathers so that the water reaches the skin.

Harvey never gets "the drench" either - although he's just had a shower and been quite obliging and has lifted his wings (with my help!) to spray under them.

He's only 8 months old though, so I feel that he's great for sitting there and letting me spray him anyway in the shower.

I knew about the preening gland - if you catch them just after they've rubbed their beaks look just like they did when they were a baby - lovely and smooth and black (without the added dust and scratches!!) :)

All birds feathers are highly water resistant. This true whether they have a preening gland or not. If a birds feathers actually soaked up water, they would not be able to fly due to the weight.

Bathing simply removes the dander and helps a bird clean their feathers and a little of their skin if they will actually fluff their feathers and let the water get to it.

I definitely already knew about the preening gland and its purpose. I just didn't realize that the feathers would never appear truly drenched even if the african grey was indeed very wet.

Sachi my other parrot is a pionus parrot and pionus parrots do not have the preening gland or uropygial gland because of this they have special dietary needs.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/05 18:21<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/05 18:22