NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

UV lighting v Calcium/vitamin D drops

Joolesgreyuk

Some of you will be aware that I recently spent £62 on a UV lamp for my grey, I haven't felt the need to use it yet as it was bought for the winter months. As I have now aquired another parrot (small macaw) I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy a second lamp for him. I'm not even sure if Beau will accept the lamp on his cage yet, I did have it switched off and placed near his cage for him to "get used to it" but that's no longer possible with the second parrot taking up that area of the room. What I was wondering was, is it just as viable (and a lot cheaper) to buy calcium/vitamin D drops instead of using a lamp. What do other owners do in the winter months to keep their birds healthy?

Vitamin D drops are totally different than the lamps. The lamps give out vitamin D3 which imitates the natural light of the outdoors.

An excess of these added vitamins and minerals in an African Grey's diet can lead to health problems. If your grey is eating a balanced diet, it's getting all the vitamin D that it needs.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/05 22:38

UVB lighting isn't a marketing gimmick. It's benefits were first discovered by different animal medical establishments and it's heavily used in zoos because many animals benefit from it besides birds. Although expensive, it's definitely not a waste of money. What natural sunlight causes us sunburns is the same natural sunlight that gives diffent wild animal various vitamins --Vitamin D3. Our windows are specially made to filter out the ingredients from natural sunlight which can cause us sunburn.

PS---and because this type of lighting has to be kept at a certain distance from the bird, it provides no heat or warmth.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/06 05:21

It is my opinion that the expensive, sophisticated and specialized lighting "purchased" by zoos, and similar type of centers have credibility, benefit and value but the ones sold to the "average" parrot owner are probably of very little value. Especially considering the prices charged for these items.

I would prefer having an outdoor cage for my parrot rather than spend the money on these products. In the winter months I would just ensure to give my parrots a balanced diet as usual. There are so many natural sources of vitamin D available in foods and nuts.

I knew that the lights have to be kept a certain distance away from the birds but I didn't realize that there was no warmth or heat provided. Thanks for the info.

Dave - how close can heat lamps be when trying to keep baby parrots warms?

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/06 05:31<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/06 05:35

Approx 4 to 6 ft distance depending upon size of bird for approx 1 to 1 1/2 hrs a day. Only special flourscent bulbs can be UVB and yes, they're expensive. That's the only kind of bulb capable of having the 4th spectrum of ray that ordinary flourscent bulbs can't have. UVB bulbs last about 7000 to 9000 hrs and then need to be replaced. The bulb that gets replaced can then be used in any other area where a regular flourscent is needed or desired.

Exactly how and what UVB light does can be seen in the sticky above.

ADD ON--misread question

"""""Dave - how close can heat lamps be when trying to keep baby parrots warms?"""""

Those types of bulbs are NEVER used to keep birds warm. That's not their purpose.

In the wild, it's the temperature of the day or night which determines how warm or cold a bird is.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/06 19:52<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/06 19:56