NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and I thought I'd introduce myself and my new baby (avian baby, that is)...

I've had Max for about 3 weeks now. He is a 4-yr old TAG that I've been waiting for for years. In fact, I purchased a large cage about 3 years ago and since then, it's been sitting empty and lonely in the garage. Finally, everything worked out just right (I had the funds, my husband finally OK'd the purchase, and I found Max available in my area). So, here he is, now.

It was actually a close competition between him and a beautiful female eclectus, but she suddenly became unavailable, so Max came to live with us.

He is a sweetheart, he mumbles a lot, some of it is identifiable, like "what?", "Come here, Chico" (his previous name), "Shut up!" "Hello? Helllooooo!" and quite a few more. He is always willing to step up, and he and I bonded very fast. My kids (ages 10, 6, and 1) don't ever try to touch him, and he is very wary of them. He did manage to bite my husband on the nose (of course! He is not the pet type), so now, my husband does not want to handle him either. I guess he will just become my bird (their loss, my gain)

Anyway, as soon as I can decompress some image files I will upload a couple of pictures of him.

Hello Wolfspirit and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Max.

Congrats on getting Max since you have been waiting a long time for a grey but you were just waiting for Max, it was just meant to be this way.

He does sound like a real sweet bird and he has settled in very quickly to be a 4 year old bird, you must be doing something right.

He has chosen you as his favorite but then you are not disappointed at all, that means more time with you and that is your gain and his loss.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them and ask questions you may have and we will hel you in any way we can.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of Max when you can manage it.

Hi Wolfspirit,

Welcome to the group. I've only been reading the comments and questions here for a short time, but Judy is right. There is much wisdom on this site.

Have fun ... as you know ... being chosen by a Grey is a blessing.

The picture looks Good:)

Post edited by: harmonicaman68, at: 2009/09/04 02:44<br><br>Post edited by: harmonicaman68, at: 2009/09/04 02:44

Can you guys comment on Max's chest feather condition? He now only has down on his chest, no bare spots, but no real feathers... Is he moulting or do you think he is plucking? I watched him groom several times a day, he doesn't seem too aggressive with it, and I haven't actually seen him pull and feathers, just some down sometimes.

He seems like a pretty timid bird, and the kids do make him nervous, but I already expected that. I figure it will take him some time to get adjusted to his new home. What do you think? Should I worry about plucking, and if so, what should I do? I'd like to be proactive in this situation.

Welcome Wolfspirit and Max!!

It's GreYt having you here.

The photos show a good looking TAG and no feather plucking visibly evident. It's good to hear he has settled right in and is enjoying his new home and family.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/09/04 14:01