NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What It Is To Be A Grey Owner

snakeopus

I've only been a CAG owner for two weeks now - but I have to say that it's been quite an experience. It's something I've read about for years, and something I've craved.

First off - having an African Grey is everything anyone has written about and so much more. What a unique companion! A Grey is truly an exotic pet - interaction with a Grey is very engaging and throws some people off.

My Grey's name is Bismark, he was an unexpected gift two weeks ago. He's 5 months old, spunky, curious, and almost fearless. He's very vocal when it is just myself and him - making sounds ranging whistles and chuckles to almost coherent English sentences. His first sentence, I am 99% sure, was "I need to clean my room." - which is something I'm sure I say a lot considering he is also a very messy pet. However, he when he starts babbling and waving his head around, he has uttered many things that closely resemble our language.

Being a Grey owner, I have to say coming home from work is something I have grown to extremely look forward to. Bismark can be a moody individual, but 100% of the time when I get home from work he is in a fantastic mood - cuddling and uttering sweet nothings ;-)

On the other end of the spectrum, Bismark can get into nasty moods. Usually they occur later in the evening when he gets tired - but sometimes he can be nippy and grouchy. As I've read, Greys are moody parrots - but I never realized how "humanly" their tendencies can be!!!! Having a Grey can be similar to having a girlfriend!

Anywho, I will wrap this up.

Bismark is an amazing parrot - his eyes are starting to change color - he and I have bonded very well!

When I first 'got' Bismark I was nervous about the prospect of having him for pretty much the remainder of my life (I'm 24) - but now I truly excited at the idea of himself and I becoming lifelong buddies.

Adam, they really are amazing creatures as you are beginning to find out and they are much like having a perpetual small child all the time.

Like us they can have their good days and bad days and we have to respect that and not push when they get a little moody.

Thats a great feeling when you come home from a hard day at work and your grey is happy to see you and ready to come out of the cage and spend some time with you while you get busy with the second shift as I call it when I get home.

I hope you two have a lifetime of wonderful companionship.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there and welcome you think Bismark is moody as a baby you ain't seen nothing yet. I have a baby and a 6 year old and whenmy 6 yr old is happy she is the most awesome wonderful fantastic bird anyone could ask for she fiesty and playful and has a wonderful sense of humor, but look out when she's not in a good mood she will let you know really quick and if you don't watch her body language you best go find some band-aids be cause she will bite and she will draw blood. thats my Tyco. I do love her so much and would not want to find out what life without her would be like. I hope you enjoy your new friend as much as I enjoy mine and I hope to here all about that friendship and how its going so keep the updates comeing and I will see you on the forum