NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Making Perches

Mitchjr

Well I will be bringing home a CAG today. He is 4 years old and very friendly with me and my children. We spent some time with him in his old home to try to make his transition easier. I did get a new cage for him and the perch that comes with the cage is nothing more than a maple dowel rod. Would I be able to make my own perches from some maple branches???

I don't see why not, it is not included on the toxic plant list so it should be safe to use. Use dead branches not ones freshly cut from the tree, soak them in water to soften the bark and it will come off easily then allow to dry completely in the sun then cut to fit.

I see this is your first post, why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you and this grey like what is his name?

At my local petco they actually sell a type of cylinder connector that fastens to the cage and unscrews to hold twigs of natural branch then tightens around them.

Keep in mind that you need to disinfect the crap out of any natural wood as it could contain all sorts of evil like bugs, bacteria, mold spores, or mosses. (Are there harmful mosses to birds? Not sure about that one.)

We make most of our own perches, went out just the other weekend into the forest and got some great branches that we put in, we use silver berch. We also leave the bark on as ours love nothing more than to debark the whole branch. We try to change them all every 4 months but lately it's been every 6 months.

By all means bring on the natural branches. Maple is an excellent perch material - reasonably hard as a chew challenge. Yes, be ready for your perches to be shred in relatively short time.

I use green maple and oak branches with a variety of branch sizes. I find the green wood doesn't have any bugs or issues. Cut to length, cut a slot and voila, instance perch. As Jane mentioned, I too leave the bark on to add to the fun.

Congrats on the new bird! Do we have a name yet? Pics! We need pics!