NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DNA sex testing, is it acurate?

Leia

Hi Everyone.

I would like to know if the dna testing of african grey parrots is acurate when the cag is really young. i had her tested when she was 8 weeks old with the blood test method where they look at the dna sample. The vet told me its the most acurate and safest way of testing as apose to the surgical method.

But since i've tested her i've had people say some strange things like the birds sex changes as they get older so its not acurate. or that my bird is definately a male, they can tell by its head. I personally dont believe them but i wouldd like to know if they could possibly be right?

It doesnt really make a difference whether she is a male or female, but i would like to know what really is true.

DNA testing is pretty much fail proof as far as I know. The people telling you that the bird will change sex as it grows older are 100% wrong. It's a bird, not a tree frog. I've heard of a less reliable, less expensive method that involves using a lost feather for them to extract the DNA from.

But yeah.. basic genetics knowledge of chromosomes should pretty much self explain why DNA testing is as accurate as you can get. They look to see if the chromosomes in the DNA strand are XX (female) or XY (male). Those are human sexing chromosomes but I assume they are the same in birds.

The feather method involves freshly plucked feathers from the chest area, it wont work with lost feathers or blood feathers.

Ive used this method with mine it is a cheap and easy way to Dna.

If your baby has been blood Dna'd this is accurate so nothing will change as your baby gets older.

The appearence of greys can be different from one to another. I have two Males and their head shape, size etc are completely different.

I would definetly trust the Dna.

DNA sex testing is the only surefire way to determine sex other than the surgical way and who wants to have that performed on their bird, certainly not me and I presume the test can be done as soon as they have feathers so no age limit.

BTW, don't listen to those people who say strange things about your grey or that they can tell the sex by the shape of the head and so forth, they don't know bullcrap from apple butter.

I was once told I could tell the sex of my birds by looking at the eyes. And that females had much more oval eyes. To this day I still say Linus and Barney have well.... eye.. shaped.. eye. So yeah, urban myths are pretty fun lol.

As stated, DNA testing is extremely accurate. The DNA labs have even taken steps to reduce the prospect of human error.

I did find something interesting that I might use with the next clutch - they can use the DNA material left in the egg to tell the sex of the bird! Apparently, there's enough vascular material left in the egg to be as accurate as blood or feather DNA sexing. The only issue is keeping track of which bird had which egg. B)

Out of curiosity, how much does DNA testing usually cost (in the US that is...)? One of the babies I'm interested in hasn't been tested, and thinking I might want to do that up front, so I don't have to name it something universal. Sounds trivial, I know, but I am that guy sometimes...hehe. I had a Cockatiel growing up named Rooster that started laying eggs...so yeah.