NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather Clipping, Correct Way?

Leia

I have nothing against haveing a bird clipped when its nessesary heck I've had to clip a couple of my birds through out the years. I do believe a bird should be aloud to fully fledge and learn to land properly before it is clipped if only for the reason so it can fly down to you from a tall tree if by chance he gets a fright and flys up there. My birds are flighted and I do keep them that way most of the time. when I do have their wings clipped I do make sure its done by a professional I do know how to clip my birds wings properly myself but I don't for the simple reason that I would never want to do anything to betray their trust in me I would be devestated if that ever happened so I get my vet to do all my grooming for me that way she's the bad guy and I'm the rescuer It doesn't cost much to make an appointment just to have your birds wings done and its worth it to avoid any heartache or problems later.

Leia, clipping your grey is a choice that is yours alone. I believe you truly want to do what is right for your grey. In that regard, I would suggest that to properly know how to clip your bird yourself, you go to your avian vet and have him/her show you the proper way it should be done.

JillyBeanz wrote:

Oh, for goodness sake! I work for the Health Service - I'm not a surgeon and I wouldn't carry out a heart transplant - just because I had read the book or seen the clinic letters!

Giraffes eat leaves in high trees - but just because they can't fit their head through my 6 foot 6 door I wouldn't snap their necks!!

Moobu makes very opinionated quotes throughout all of the posts he has made on this site so far - all, I personally believe, out to provoke us - and unfortunately we are rising to the bait - funnily enough - all about the subjects we hold closely to our hearts.

Leia - I know you probably love your grey - but in a house of 10 people with multiple visitors, perhaps a grey isn't the right pet - but you have your grey now. It is too late! Clipping won't keep your grey "safe" - education will. Educate the people who you share with, talk to them about the importance of your grey being safe - perhaps you can re-educate your house mates?

To be honest Leia - I would take all of the advice from this posting - but leave out Moobos thoughts - which have clearly provoked anger and unrest, intentionally!

Jilly you are proving my point better than I could ever with my own words about your closed minded attitude toward others. You claim that my inquisitive nature is designed to belittle you and cause nothing but strife and anarchy. That is a load of BS and you know it. Just because YOU aren't used to YOUR methods being challenged or questioned as possibly not being the best way doesn't mean the person trying to learn the fact based best way is wrong!

All you have done is come here and make a completely outlandish comparison saying "OMG CLIPPING A BIRDS FEATHERS IS LIKE BREAKING GIRAFFE NECKS SO THEY CAN GET INTO YOUR WINDOW!" in reality clipping your birds feathers isn't much more dangerous than giving your very own 2 year old his first haircut. Way to blow things 210% out of proportion to help justify your OPINION though.

Edit: To amend peace.<br><br>Post edited by: Moobu, at: 2009/08/31 12:44

Good points danmcq! I was thinking likewise...

Leia, I understand your frustration at some of the replies you have gotten, but you need to do research and know your facts before you post such a reply. I respect your decision to clip your birds wings, but please learn exactly what you are doing to your bird and the downfalls as well as the benefits before you do. From your statements that an unclipped bird is more at risk outdoors than a clipped one, as well as many other statements you made, it is obvious that you do not know what you are talking about.

Sorry for the frustration on the Forum, I've found nothing but help from being on here.

You make good points danmcq, but I still believe that I do not want to give my bird the chance to come into possible danger by flying away. That is my choice, despite previously having thought it is best not to clip.

I have seen a cag that flew out of a factory and got chased by crows, so besides cags defending themselves from bullys on the ground, there are also much more experienced flighted bullys that are much larger in numbers and possibly territorial.

My bird would be devastated if she were to get lost, she is attached to me and me alone and despite numerous daily attempt by every1 in the house to get her to like them, she will be super silent until she see's me and then she starts to sing and shake her tail and call for me. And she also calls to go out with me when she see's I am leaving. I do not want her to have to adjust to another environment, she's happy and comfortable.

I do not mind training her to be able to fly and come back if someone were to offer me advise on how to, i have the love, patience and time. But I was under the assumption that u cannot train ur cag to come back on it's own. It does not have the skills to find it's way back. But I do not have the knowledge at the moment, maybe I will at a later stage in my life.

I've gotten a scolding about nor clipping her numerous times from my inlaws when she flew away, so I understand ur passion for not wanting to clip, but I have had to weigh the pros and cons and right now, it is safer for me to clip. Maybe Ina year I won't do it again. My cag was clipped yesterday and she is still happy and confident and loving.

But in any case, I would love to teach my bird to fly back to me so if any1 knows how, I would really appreciate ur advise.

Also my bird gets alot of attention that alot of other bird owners dnt know about. Ppl in the neighbourhood are often surprised that my bird showers, is potty trained and goes n outings with me. So if there are any of u that feel I'm not deserving of a cag, or not doing a good job, there are other ppl that u should judge more harshly, not me. I know of birds that never leave their cage, or home, or never bathe their entire life. The ppl on this site at least make the effort to educate themselves on what is best and healthy for their birds.

But that being said, I am going to take this simply as a learning experience, and leave it at that.

Jess I really think you misunderstood my MSG. A clipped bird will not have the opportunity to end up in a foriegn surrounding by itself. An unclipped bird will have the opportunity to get lost at some point in it's life, and because it can fly, it makes ur search alot harder because the bird could travel a far distance and end up somewhere u may never think of searching. The bigger the area, the harder it is to find what you are looking for. So I did not say a clipped bird is safer out alone than a unclipped bird, I said a unclipped bird has more risk of getting lost than an clipped bird. Please do not put words into my mouth.

And by the way, I have done my research. I've read all about the confidence a bird has when they can fly and also that flying provides good exercise and enables a bird to maintain their weight. But I've also heard stories from previous bird owners who's birds have flown away despite their efforts to keep their birds from doing so. My bird has the same confidence she had before she was clipped. And also she still exercises by climbing up things. I am well informed about the advantages of both sides of the arguments.

PLEASE DO NOT SAY I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT WHEN IT IS U THAT IS MISUNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM SAYING AND PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH. I DID NOT SAY A CLIPPED BIRD IS SAFER OUT THERE THAN AN UNCLIPPED BIRD, I SAID AN UNCLIPPED BIRD IS MORE LIKELY TO END UP IN THE FACE OF DANGER THAN A CLIPPED BIRD.

AND IF I WAS SCISSOR HAPPY AND IGNORANT TO THE DISADVANTAGES OF CLIPPING I WOULD HAVE NEVER ASKED THE ADVICE OF THOSE I THOUGHT WERE MATURE, EXPERIENCED & WELL GROUNDED GREY OWNERS.

But I chose to research properly before I clipped her wings. I was against clipping just a week ago. But each and every one of us has to ask ourselves what's best for our own birds and our own situation. And my bird cannot be left unclipped at the moment. I say that having done all the research I possibly could have done.

Maybe you Jess should also read on the injuries that have happened to flighted cags in homes, those are apart from the thousand other greys that have flown away and never been found again. It just takes a split second for ur bird to sight an opening and it may be too late. The outside world will be too stressfull for them to cope on their own. They've never done it.

Anyway, I appologise to those I have offended because of our differences in opinions. I did not mean to attack any1, I was simply defending myself. I do believe some of u owe me an appology for causing undue tension on the forum. Every1 should respect other pols views because the world is made up of all sorts of different ppl and not even a single one of us are perfect or always right. I do not want to argue anymore or be accused of anything anymore, so please if any1 of you dnt have anything nice to say, rather keep it off the forum. Tell it to you husband, wife, dog , cat , cag, but I have no time for rudeness and ppl that feel their way is the only right way. Every1 should learn to accept others, no1 can control the world.

Leia wrote:

Jess I really think you misunderstood my MSG. A clipped bird will not have the opportunity to end up in a foriegn surrounding by itself. An unclipped bird will have the opportunity to get lost at some point in it's life, and because it can fly, it makes ur search alot harder because the bird could travel a far distance and end up somewhere u may never think of searching. The bigger the area, the harder it is to find what you are looking for. So I did not say a clipped bird is safer out alone than a unclipped bird, I said a unclipped bird has more risk of getting lost than an clipped bird. Please do not put words into my mouth.

And by the way, I have done my research. I've read all about the confidence a bird has when they can fly and also that flying provides good exercise and enables a bird to maintain their weight. But I've also heard stories from previous bird owners who's birds have flown away despite their efforts to keep their birds from doing so. My bird has the same confidence she had before she was clipped. And also she still exercises by climbing up things. I am well informed about the advantages of both sides of the arguments.

PLEASE DO NOT SAY I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT WHEN IT IS U THAT IS MISUNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM SAYING AND PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH. I DID NOT SAY A CLIPPED BIRD IS SAFER OUT THERE THAN AN UNCLIPPED BIRD, I SAID AN UNCLIPPED BIRD IS MORE LIKELY TO END UP IN THE FACE OF DANGER THAN A CLIPPED BIRD.

AND IF I WAS SCISSOR HAPPY AND IGNORANT TO THE DISADVANTAGES OF CLIPPING I WOULD HAVE NEVER ASKED THE ADVICE OF THOSE I THOUGHT WERE MATURE, EXPERIENCED & WELL GROUNDED GREY OWNERS.

But I chose to research properly before I clipped her wings. I was against clipping just a week ago. But each and every one of us has to ask ourselves what's best for our own birds and our own situation. And my bird cannot be left unclipped at the moment. I say that having done all the research I possibly could have done.

Maybe you Jess should also read on the injuries that have happened to flighted cags in homes, those are apart from the thousand other greys that have flown away and never been found again. It just takes a split second for ur bird to sight an opening and it may be too late. The outside world will be too stressfull for them to cope on their own. They've never done it.

Anyway, I appologise to those I have offended because of our differences in opinions. I did not mean to attack any1, I was simply defending myself. I do believe some of u owe me an appology for causing undue tension on the forum. Every1 should respect other pols views because the world is made up of all sorts of different ppl and not even a single one of us are perfect or always right. I do not want to argue anymore or be accused of anything anymore, so please if any1 of you dnt have anything nice to say, rather keep it off the forum. Tell it to you husband, wife, dog , cat , cag, but I have no time for rudeness and ppl that feel their way is the only right way. Every1 should learn to accept others, no1 can control the world.

Amen. =)

Leia - your quote that people should "stop bothering about you" and "bother about themselves" is a little silly - this forum is all about caring for each other and our fids - and if some of the text has annoyed you (which clearly it has) then tough!

Nobody has been downright rude to you - but you feel the need to make harsh statements.

Write what you want about me - it's getting tedious - and after this I'm not posting on this thread anymore. You and Moobu seem very well suited with your views - so perhaps PM him in the future - don't public post!

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the one who came in here on your own accord and added your negative input on the topic when it clearly wasn't asked for? Last I checked the original post here wasn't what is Jilly's feelings about wing clippings.<br><br>Post edited by: Moobu, at: 2009/08/31 12:21

Having just logged on here this morning I have to say I'm amazed that this topic is still going but having said that wing-clipping is one of those subjects that seems to really hit a nerve with grey owners. I think Jill in particular feels very stongly about this subject but if you are going to post about this subject for all to see then you have to be prepared for people's opinions. In hindsight maybe you ought to have pmd each other regarding this matter.

Moobu, why are you quoting me again this morning when I thought we'd made our peace yesterday - I've already said "maybe I shouldn't have used the word butcher".

Leia, It seems you have thought this through very carefully, that was all I was concerned about. You seem like an excellent parrent and you shouldn't reproach yourself as you are clearly doing the best for your grey as you see it.

I think this thread has run it's course and I don't think Jill is gonna change her mind any time soon so maybe we should all agree to disagree lol!

That was a mistake on my part Jool, I some how thought that Jilly was the one who made all of the posts and lumped the things you said in with hers. Instead of deleting the post after people had seen it and catching flak for potentially "covering my tracks" or something I used the edit function to correct things the best I could without removing information. No intentions of breaking the peace we forged. Sorry!

Thanks for that jooles, i am prepared for ppls opinions but some of the ways that their opinions were put accross were really harsh and uncalled for. There is always always ALWAYS a polite and diplomatic way of stating your opinion even if it means you thoughts are totally contrary to others. I could not have private messaged because i simply do not who who does know and who does not know how to clip. I honestly thought everyone respected one another enough to respect their opinions without attacking them.

But in anycase thankyou to those of you who stated your opinions in a polite manner and respected the fact that it is my decision and responsibilty alone to do what is best for my bird.

Another thing is jilly replied with such rudeness and sarcasm in her original post and then wonders why i am being rude. Try and read back if you can and you'll see that i was not the 1st to attack, i still decided to be polite until it was a bit too much to bear.

anyway, im really and truely not holding any of this is my heart, i'm letting go of it and hope everyone can do the same. i hope this is a lesson to all of us to respect other peoples views and opinions without critisising or putting them down.

The perpose of this forum is to help each other, NOT DOMINATE EACH OTHER.

Okay everyone...... if you did a search here, you would see that almost every topic regarding wing clipping results in the same way. Members feel very passionate about their decision regarding whether to CLIP OR NOT TO CLIP. but what many forget during the heated debate, is that everyone is entitled to give their advice, opinions, and feelings on the subject. That does not make your way right or wrong. You do what is best in your situation. We may or may not agree, but arguing your point home is useless.

Please read the past threads about this subject and you will see my point.

I have been watching this thread very intently, and have decided it is time.....I AM LOCKING THIS THREAD FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS UNTIL THINGS COOL DOWN. Lets put our focus into enjoying our time here in other subjects. B)

Sincerely,

Talon