NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather Clipping, Correct Way?

Leia

Hi everyone, i would like to know what is the correct way to clip my cags feathers? i took her to the pet shop and they clipped all her flight feathers but was later told that its very painful for them to land without theire breaker feathers because they hit their chest on the ground when they land? i would like to do it myself as to avoid these kind of mistakes in the future. I was told the breaker feathers are the last 3-4 feathers at the tip of their wings and those should not be clipped. all the rest should be. it helps the bird to land properly if they should jump off something high. but i would still like more info from experienced people please?

Leia I sent you a Private Message with the general instructions on how to clip wings. As I said in the message I highly suggest you try and google a page dedicated to wing clipping as they usually contain incredibly helpful diagrams and picture aids to train you about where and what to snip.

Sheila & Caroline, I'm glad you both chipped in with what I was going to say...I'd also like to add why would you want to butcher your baby? Think long and hard before doing this and the potential psycological, as well as pysical problems following this procedure. You could be opening a can-of-worms - so to speak.

Joolesgreyuk wrote:

Sheila & Caroline, I'm glad you both chipped in with what I was going to say...I'd also like to add why would you want to butcher your baby? Think long and hard before doing this and the potential psycological, as well as pysical problems following this procedure. You could be opening a can-of-worms - so to speak.

I leave most of my kiddos unclipped. You also have to look at the flip side of the coin. Not clipping a bird's wings that is inexperienced in flight leaves all sorts of doors open for disaster. It is uncommon but not unheard of to have birds fly into windows with enough force to break their necks. Unclipped birds have to worry about ceiling fans. Clipped birds will never fly away in some freak accident where an open window is some how made available.

I believe that a small amount of training is in order to help eliminate some of the hazards confined houses have to offer to fully flighted birds. 450 grams moving at 25 mph is going to severely damage pretty much anything it hits in your house including itself.

Moobu wrote:

Joolesgreyuk wrote:

I leave most of my kiddos unclipped. You also have to look at the flip side of the coin. Not clipping a bird's wings that is inexperienced in flight leaves all sorts of doors open for disaster. It is uncommon but not unheard of to have birds fly into windows with enough force to break their necks. Unclipped birds have to worry about ceiling fans. Clipped birds will never fly away in some freak accident where an open window is some how made available.

I believe that a small amount of training is in order to help eliminate some of the hazards confined houses have to offer to fully flighted birds. 450 grams moving at 25 mph is going to severely damage pretty much anything it hits in your house including itself.

The problems you indicate can all be overcome. Switch ceiling fans off before letting your bird out of his cage - simple! Use beaded curtains or large stickers on large glass windows and doors or put blinds up. Your bird will soon get to know the hazards in the house and he will become a more competant flyer and avoid them - mine has!

Don't adapt your bird to fit in with your house, adapt your house to your birds needs. If you are not prepared to do this, get another pet!

Cutting a birds wings does not prevent a bird from escaping or catching a gust of wind and getting away (as members on here will testify) and should this happen he will be less likely to survive in the wild than a flighted bird.

All I'm saying is think very carefully before clipping, it isn't the easy option some people think it is!

Joolesgreyuk wrote:

Moobu wrote:
Joolesgreyuk wrote:

The problems you indicate can all be overcome. Switch ceiling fans off before letting your bird out of his cage - simple! Use beaded curtains or large stickers on large glass windows and doors or put blinds up. Your bird will soon get to know the hazards in the house and he will become a more competant flyer and avoid them - mine has!

Don't adapt your bird to fit in with your house, adapt your house to your birds needs. If you are not prepared to do this, get another pet!

Cutting a birds wings does not prevent a bird from escaping or catching a gust of wind and getting away (as members on here will testify) and should this happen he will be less likely to survive in the wild than a flighted bird.

All I'm saying is think very carefully before clipping, it isn't the easy option some people think it is!

Clearly why I stated train your birds to become flighted safely in the house. Accidents happen and you can't put large beads over everything you own. Large pictures, Televisions, anything can be a hazard. Please read my posts before going on the defensive because if you had taken the time to absorb some of it deeper than looking for confrontation you would realize that I was half agreeing with you to begin with!

Julie I agree, also how can a young grey gain experiance of these dangers if it is never allowed to fly. Greys are very bright and it does not take much for them to learn good flight skills,something denied to them if they are clipped. I am not totally against clipping but I do think it is a last resort option and should only be carried out by an avian vet.

Moobu,

The original poster asked about clipping their own CAGS wings.

None of us are experienced Avian vets on here and I dont feel anyone is in a position to tell someone directions about clipping unless they have lots of years experience and are qualified to do so. We are just advising they see a qualified Avian vet and pointing out the problems that can occur if its not done properly!

Clipping a baby grey is not a good thing to do, and I totally with Julies post on bird proofing the house!

Accidents can happen wether a bird is clipped or not, we have heard of these so many times.

I personally like to try and encourage someone to allow their baby to fledge and learn their flying skills as a bird should.

Not pm them details on how to clip themselves!

I understand that I just don't like being made out as the butcher who puts my kiddo's on the chopping block and goes to town with my cleaver to remove the wing at the shoulder.

Edit: The reason I gave out directions was because my vet gave me the thumbs up to clip at home. We had a 10 minute chat and he showed me exactly what he did and that was that. He didn't make it out like this incredibly off limits thing that should never be attempted. I've been clipping wings at home for a good 2 years now and can say I have the experience doing so to comment that it isn't any harder to clip wings than it is to trim nails or check the birds vent.<br><br>Post edited by: Moobu, at: 2009/08/30 13:10

The only thing I have to say regarding this entire thread:

I apologize to all those birds we humans keep in our homes. I am sorry you were born in captivity, confined to homes, cages and yes some of you to the ground.

Those clipped had the only thing that makes you a bird removed for your owners convenience and false feeling of security.

Unfortunately, your body has been completely designed for FLIGHT. Your life will be incomplete. You will always wonder what those wings are for. You have an uncontrollable instinct to flap them at times, yet still just crash down hard. Your physical and mental health will suffer, as well as your life span, which will be much shorter than a flighted bird.

I know all you clipped Avian creatures don't know what I am talking about or understand my apology. But believe me, it is given with tears and heart felt grief for you, my flightless Avian friends.

Please reconsider before clipping!!

A BIRD WITHOUT WINGS. By Anne.M.Kenyon

There isn’t a song that anyone sings

That’s as sad as the song of a bird without wings.

The song of a bird confined to a cage,

The song of a bird who has felt human rage.

The song of a bird that’s ignored night and day,

No sign of good food, no toys, and no play.

Hear that pain as this lonely bird sings,

That is the song of a bird without wings.

The bird that is ill, knowing no-one will care

The bird who’s life is loveless and bare.

The bird, who in fear has panicked and bit

And therefore been screamed at,

sworn at and hit.

These are the birds who sing their own song,

Quietly, sadly, but all day long.

If you care, you will hear what this lonely bird sings,

This is the song of a bird without wings.

But sometimes, along comes a person who cares,

Then the bird hears the song that the ‘RESCUER’ shares!

And the bird stops to listen, and tilts it’s sweet head,

As it hears new sweet words that it’s never heard said.

Can you sing to these birds? Help them learn a new song?

Can you show them their pain will not last all life long?

Oh PLEASE be the person who lovingly sings,

And gives flight to a bird,

A bird without wings.

A.M.Kenyon<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/08/30 15:27

I appreciate every1s views, and i too did not want to clip my birds wings. but living in a house with 10 ppl and lots of guests, its very difficult to discipline them all to close the door after them. my bird has flown away twice already. i was just lucky i got to her before a dog or cat attacked he, or a car ran over her. So it is for her own good.

I love animals, i would never abuse them, but its a bit impossible to change everything in your house to be a 100% safe for your bird. for example, she keeps flying into the mirror. a persons next response would be to tape the mirror, but where is the limit?

I asked for advise and i'm appreciative of it. but like everyone here feels they have the intelligence and sence to do what they think is right for their birds, i also feel i will do what right for mine. every parent has their own parenting styles and reasons. there is no need for arguments, every1 can view their opinion in a respectful way and whats best for them.

I've done this with ALOT of thought, and my heart is aching because of the fact that i have to clip her. i have tried not clipping her wings, but as i've said, she keeps flying away, and i have to get ladders etc to get to her. she's doing it playfully, but the neighbours have dogs, there are stray cats arround. also if she does end up getting frightened by crows and ends up panicking and going somewhere dangerous, i may find her when shes dead. i'm glad those who dont clip their birds can keep them safe, but my way of keeping her safe is by clipping her.

And to the statement that i should get another pet, my choice of pet is an african grey, and i love her and she loves me. I'm very good to her and she has a loving stable home. i dont think its fair that you should judge me on doing what i think is right for my birds individual situation.

Leia,

Just to make my post clear. I am not judging you, nor am I angry at you. :-)

My statements are solely my thoughts and feelings on this topic as a whole.

I certainly hope you did not take it as directed personally at you.

DAN!! I love you earlier reply. I COMPLETELY agree with what you wrote. We think so much alike when it comes to our pets.:kiss:

And I understand that your post was not meant to hurt or insult anyone's feelings. After being a member of this family with 8511 posts, we all know better!! We better....or else, Judy will give us a whipping!! :laugh:

My Yohsi's wings were trimmed when we first got her, still trying to decide whether they will be staying that way for not... We will wait and give her a chance and see how it all works out because I'd love Yoshi to fly but not if it puts her in danger.

Do the wing feathers just keep growing out after being trimmed or clipped, so that the bird can eventually fly again, or do they fall out and be replaced? Something I've never quite understood...

What ever you decide is your decision alone. If you decide to post about this topic then you must be prepared for some strong opinions.

The only thing that I'd like to add is that if you decide to have your african grey's wings clipped then have them done by an EXPERIENCED AVIAN VET this also means someone who understand the african grey parrot and knows how they need to be clipped so they don't hurt their keel bone should they attempt to fly!!<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/30 17:17

Amen Dan for what you said, I wholeheartedly agree so no "whipping" from me. Both of my birds are unclipped at the moment and one is capable of flight and the other needs more flights to come in before she will once again be flighted.

It is a personal decision whether or not to clip but no one should chastise another for their decision to clip, some may have valid reasons for clipping and I can respect that but I expect others who do clip to respect other's decision to leave their bird flighted.

We don't have to get into arguments here over it but I do agree that if you do clip that you have it done by an avian vet or someone you can trust to do it properly or damage will result.

Before you make that decision to clip I would expect you to think long and hard before doing it for it takes a long time for all the flights to be replaced so that flight can be accomplished.

Another point is a properly performed clip will allow a bird to sail to the floor without dropping like a rock but if that bird escapes to the outside that same bird will be able to fly enough to get up into a tall tree, it can and does happen all the time, just ask some of the members here about it.

I whole heartedly agree with the general sentiment of this thread.

In short, there is no correct way to trim a parrots feathers only bad ways and worse ways but if you absolutely must. have it done by a sympathetic avian vet.

I know you love your bird Leia but you should ask yourself if you should be keeping a bird in your present circumstances if they are so chaotic.

Steve n Misty

Oh, for goodness sake! I work for the Health Service - I'm not a surgeon and I wouldn't carry out a heart transplant - just because I had read the book or seen the clinic letters!

Giraffes eat leaves in high trees - but just because they can't fit their head through my 6 foot 6 door I wouldn't snap their necks!!

Moobu makes very opinionated quotes throughout all of the posts he has made on this site so far - all, I personally believe, out to provoke us - and unfortunately we are rising to the bait - funnily enough - all about the subjects we hold closely to our hearts.

Leia - I know you probably love your grey - but in a house of 10 people with multiple visitors, perhaps a grey isn't the right pet - but you have your grey now. It is too late! Clipping won't keep your grey "safe" - education will. Educate the people who you share with, talk to them about the importance of your grey being safe - perhaps you can re-educate your house mates?

To be honest Leia - I would take all of the advice from this posting - but leave out Moobos thoughts - which have clearly provoked anger and unrest, intentionally!

Honestly speaking, none of you have the right to tell me that a grey is not the right pet for me. and none of you have the right to tell me not to clip her wings. i could also pass judgement on all of you for not clipping yopur birds wings by saying that if and when your bird flies away, your bird will probably have a very sad fate because they have no skills to survive on their own in the wild. Also if you all were concerned about birds being birds, you wouldnt take them out of their natural habitat and bring them into your home.

and clipping will keep my bird safe, because us humans have spoilt things by bringing them into homes in the first place, so it is our duties to make sure they stay safe in the home with us. because if my grey ends up out there in the world on her own, she wouldnt survive 2 nights in the cold winter of our city with no food. I've seldom heard of a grey that has flown away finding its way back, its easy for the humans who are safe and cozy at home to carry on with life once their greys are gone, but not so easy for the grey thats survival skills have been taken away because of selfish humans. so if you all want to label and impose your opinions on others, you can start by not having birds as pets at all, that way you wont have to worry about them not flying, or them getting hurt because of you if they do fly away.

i did not ask any of you whether i should clip my birds feathers or not, i simply asked if you knew the correct way. Moobu was the only one that answered my question.

Its really sad that ppl feel that they have the right to tell others whats good for them and whats not when they dont know their situation at all. i really think you should worry about your own greys and stop telling other ppl what they should do and what pets they should have. it is my life and my pets and if i abuse them i will stand alone before god and answer for that on the day of judgement. but i can assure you that i have a very happy healthy grey, and i do a very good job as a grey owner.

it hypocritical that the ppl that are passing judgement on clipping are very happy to keep their greys locked up from all outdoor life which is just as healthy for them as flying.

Maybe you should consider how much you have crippled your grey by taming them, feeding them, making them rely on you entirely to the point that when and if they do fly away by accident one day, you will regret it forever because even if they are microchipped, by the time you get to them, they will probably be dead because their inadequate survival skills because of your need to have them as pets. and that will be your fault alone for npt clipping them. they only have the intelligence of a 5 yr old. i'd like to see any of you giving your 5 yr old child the opportunity to probably get lost in the world on their own. i doubt you would.

all of those who told me i shouldnt have a grey as a pet, you seriously need to get a life and stop worrying about others, i can worry about looking after my own grey. i asked advice with a good and polite nature and got arguments, rudeness and dominance in return. i dont appreciate that at all. this site was supposed to help me but the way some of you ppl go on, it hasnt. Part of being a good person is accepting that everyone is different and your way cant always be the right way and respect everyone elses ways an opinions.

i'm tired of the arguments and fighting and dominance. if you have nothing nice to say, rather control yourself and say nothing at all.

Ok, I'm going to answer a few of your suppositions.

#1 - We did not take the birds out of their natural habitat. They were bred in captivity and needed a loving home.

#2 A fully flighted bird has a much better chance of surviving than a clipped bird. A clipped bird can not fly down, get a drink of water, find food, find shelter from a cold storm etc.. A clipped bird can not escape a cat in a tree trying to eat it at night. A fully flighted bird is much more apt to be found than a clipped bird, by simply flying down to a human, which they wil be drawn to for help. It may not be returned to it's owner, but it's chances of survival are much higher than a clipped birds.

#3 People with flighted birds, for the most part DO NOT keep their birds locked up. They take their birds out on harnesses, in bird packs and some free flight them after a lot of training. Most people with flighted birds are more apt to take them out, than people with non-flighted birds.

#4 We did not tame, feed etc. our birds from chicks. The breeders did. We did not cripple them at all. Any critter born and raised in captivity does not have the learned skills to survive, for the most part in the wild. However, I will say, any critter that has all the FULLY FUNCTIONAL physical attributes they are born with and have the instincts to use. Will be much more likely to survive in the wild if it escapes.

#5 I agree, NO ONE should tell you, that you should not have a Grey, simply because you are choosing to clip. There are many members here who do clip their birds. love them very much and provide wonderful homes to them. :-)

Please do not feel like we are all attacking you, when I believe you are only referencing perhaps one or two that responded. :-)

Our biggest concern and purpose for being on this forum is to help people who have becone owners of Greys and other birds. Driving anyone away due to differences in opinion would be a direct opposite of this forums purpose.