NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A mystery novel about an African Grey

DavidH

Recommended reading: The mystery novella by Pulitzer-prize-winning author Michael Chabon called "The Final Solution."

It's a Sherlock Holmes type mystery with an 11-year-old boy and his African Grey as main characters. One fantastic chapter is written by the Grey in his voice.

Greeeeyt book!

I like those Internet bargains! But I have to tell you I got the cheapest version of all: $0 for the book and $0.50 transportation costs to my public library. :)

Hope you all enjoy the Chabon book. He's a very talented novelist.

In the end, I did like it.

I read the book the day I got it. I am not overly fond of the author's style, but it takes place in the 1940s (1944 I recall). The boy was 9, and mute. He was the son of a Jewish doctor from Germany, the bird was known to sing songs in German and recite lots of numbers in German. The book centers around the kidnapping of the bird and the retired Sherlok-like character's personal mission to find him. What I found interesting was that the detective was not out for "National Security" --this did happen in the latter year of the war, and more than a few mentioned that the bird's numbers could be cipher code-- he wanted to reunite an orphan child with his only friend.

This novel is written for younger kids, I'd say in 6-9th grade reading level. Not sure I'd recommend it, unless you really like British novels (it was written using a lot of British terms the required looking up, for me at least).

The chapter written in the bird's voice wasn't really long, nor did the bird really speak. The narrator merely explained the thoughts of this poor bird, being held captive, and their narration of the bird's thoughts were quite good. I will say they penned the typical male grey to the key, from how they annoy to the times at which they annoy and the frequency to which they annoy people.

6/10 stars.

I generally agree with kcfoxie's criticism of the book. I am a Brit and even I had to look up some of the terms:) I was quite surprised that the author was American. He did well in taking me into a time and place. I found it quite evocative. I liked the way he described the parrots relationship with the boy.

8/10 from me.

When Misty gets round to reading it I will ask him to post his views here:laugh:

Steve n Misty