NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

parrots as pets?

rayyan

hi everyone,

i have just finished reading an article on parrots and that you shouldnt keep them as pets as when they get sexualy mature they want to find a mate etc.

those with older greys how do u view this? in ur experiance, i know obviously their personalities change from when they r babies but in ur opinion is it cruel to keep them, do they get distressed?

i had an 8 yr old and he lost his mate and he didnt seem particuarly distressed he lives with my mum now and is happy.

whats your opinion? and what is ur grey like as i know they are very much individuals.

I'm with Penny.

When a Pet of any type is raised by humans from birth, you have just made them a responsibility of humans for life.

You certainly can not just set them free and sentence them to death.

Also, if the thought is, once they reach maturity they should be turned into a breeder, then be left without human contact, ehich they are used to and expect, would be cruel.

They are a part of the human flock!! :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/08/28 15:10

I agree with this statement in that article. For the most part, more than 50 percent of Parrot purchasers do not provide a flighted life style with tons of activities to keep their Parrot active and being all the "Avian flier" they should be.

The quote is:

"“Most people who wish to acquire a parrot as a pet do so for all the wrong reasons. People are looking for another possession, a status symbol, a bird that talks, performs tricks or sings “Yankee Doodle Dandy”. Rather, they should be acting out of the humanitarian desire to help a wild animal, one who never asked or chose to be a pet, one who deserves a dignified life, no strings or expectations attached.”"

With this thought in mind. I do feel sorry for my Grey and Conure. I love them so much, that if I knew I had trained them to survive and that they would be accepted in a flock to live a full birds life, find a mate and have babies, I WOULD SET THEM FREE!

But, I know that to do so would condemn them to death. So I try hard as I can to ensure they are flighted, spend the least amount of time in the cage as possible, provide them with wholesome good foods, foraging items and lots of stuff to play, chew, hang on and enjoy as they would in the wild.

Adoption is the only consideration I have given thought to, for adding another Parrot to our flock.

I also only rescue or adopt Dobermans. I will probably never have another puppy, due to the great need for homes of abandoned dogs.

However, for the most part, unless a person has previous Parrot experience. I would not recommend adoption of a Parrot with serious issues. Most people do not have the time or patience to deal with problems. Most think is like adopting a dog or cat that will just love you and act like a dog or cat. Parrots are completely different and sometimes the adoptor must live with the fact that the parrot is not going to change into a love muffin.

You must adopt with unconditional love and the intent of keeping it and providing it with the best home it could have for the remainder of it's life.

This is just my opinion of course. ;-)

I used to look at our one grey Rangi and feel sorry for him that he was all alone and would be for the rest of his life and out of this guilt we got another grey for him. Kea has been a god send for him.

We were lucky they took to each other and I really feel that they give things to each other that us as humans can never give them. When I see what they give to each other I am 100% glad we got another one.

The way they preen each other which is totally different to what I could do for them, the mating ritual they have which I could never do for Rangi, the beak clashing, the rolling on top of each other, the way they hold hands (as I call it). The way they chase after each other flying around the house and they way they play together is something Rangi would never have experienced if we had not got Kea.

Saying that though there is no guaratee if people get another one that they will get on or as Dan pointed out adopting has it's own problems.

I agree with pretty much all in the article. I certainly have severe misgivings of commercial breeding. I also strongly believe that as a rule Parrots know best how to bring up baby parrots. They have been doing it for many millions of years with great success before we came along to screw things up for them. I am very lucky with Misty. I don't know his breeding history but I adopted him at two years old and he clearly sees me as a close friend. He can be very playful, affectionate and chatty but he is not what I would call cuddly. He is not afraid to use his beak on me to express irritation for example if I offer him cold water when he wants it hot.

He lives out side of his cage all the time and is fully flighted but he needs lots of attention and he is not a child substitute. He is a bird.

It worries me that to many would be parrot keepers see them as cuddle bunnies and they have no idea of the commitment involved in keeping these smart and sensitive creatures responsibly. The idea that anyone could walk into a pet shop and just buy one is very troubling. Ideally there should be strong licensing involved in breeding selling and keeping any intelligent animal,

Steve n Misty

There is a saying, can't remember the exact words but here is the jist of it, "we are responsible for what we have tamed" and that is it in a nutshell.

You are right Penny but I may have thought stronger words but "bull crap" is what I think of it.

I do not believe in bird mills but private breeders are ok with me, they give more personal care and socialize the birds where bird mills are only in it for the money.

I do not believe a bird only wants to mate once it reaches maturity, we have humans who live their whole lives without attaching themselves to another person or for that matter to even have sex, yes they may be few and far between but they exist.

We as humans do not need another person to mate with to be happy, yes it does usually make most of us happier but many fill their lives with other things and live feeling very fulfilled and enriched.

And as for as adopting instead of buying from breeders, if we take that attitude then one day they will be gone, if everyone stopped buying birds and only adopted then where will the future birds come from, eventually all the rescues will be rehomed and no new babies coming in.

Now if we could do something to keep idiots who have no idea of what they are getting themselves into from getting a bird on a whim then we wouldn't have so many end up in rescue situations.

thank u all for ur opinions, and for taking the time to see the article, i agree with everyone really u all have valid opinions and i think we all agre that the parrot mills are unacceptable. and i suppose lots of animals r abandoned or given up or sold not just parrots. tho i think as parrots have complex minds we should look out for them.

just a question, could u get another species as a comanion bird or should it be same species?

You could get any species of bird you like, you will have to keep them in separate cages anyways even if you get another grey. I have a sun conure and a grey and they do not get along if they get too close to one another but one is company for the other.