NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

TAG injured / damaged his tail feather/s

peyperj

Hi all, my TAG jumped off his cage and landed on his cage door and then went further to the floor. Somehow he managed to get 2 of his tail feathers crooked and a few of the feathers underneath his tail also into a strange direction. He is ok though, he carries on as if nothing happened. 2 Of the feathers underneath his tail came loose somehow, I only saw him with 1 in his beak and the other 1 was lying in the cage. Still the 2 tail feathers are skew, not straight in line with the rest of the tail feathers. Is something wrong? He is about 7 months old. He is fine and grooms himself as if nothing happened.

I wouldn't worry about it either. Chimay plays pretty rough and for a while there he only had full length tail feathers on the left half of his tail...the others had lost their battle with his playful nature. Lol. Just a week or so ago a new tail feather opened up on the right side filling in a bit of the vacant space. When he breaks or damages them badly, he just simply preens them off, plays with the damaged feather a bit then drops it to the floor. I do agree with Dan, if there's no blood then I wouldn't worry.

Ours is just 8 months old so pretty close in age to yours! :)<br><br>Post edited by: chimaysmommy, at: 2009/08/28 20:52

Im sure your baby is fine. Schroeder, and many of the young greys I see at work have banged up buns. Schroedee went through a period when he only had 2 tail feathers to speak of....not because he was plucking, but because he was a rough and tumble baby and breaking them all off. As your darling gets older and develops a better sense of how to move, he will bang himself up less and less. It's part of a learning curve that many greys go through.