NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Always be MINDFUL of their INTELLIGENCE.

lovethatgrey

{Feel-good-00020114}Until I became an african grey owner I knew and understood on a conceptual level that they were intelligent, and complex, however I did not realize to what extent. I would think that most people are in the same boat.

Here's an example of what I mean. For the most part my 18 month old african grey Emma is very gentle, cooperative, agreeable and compliant. A few weeks ago I discovered by ACCIDENT that if I wanted her to cooperate with me when she would rather NOT then I would have to negotiate or offer her something that was a better payoff than not obeying me. I have been applying this knowledge ever since and the rewards have been win win for both of us and as a result our relationship has really strengthened. Best of all is that there has been no bites and no bad feelings.

This is what happened. It was her bedtime however she was still on her Atom and had no interest in getting off when I asked her to step up. Each time I would try to get her to perch on my hand she would move away. She did this 3 times. I was very tired that day and I knew that if I kept persisting in the same manner she'd most probably resort to giving me a bite to get the point across. I really did not want to have to deal with physical pain or with feeling anger towards my Emma so without thinking I looked at her from the side and said " Emma, I am so tired, if you step up right now, Mommy will buy you some corn tomorrow." (Emma loves corn and asks for it everyday)

What happened next was amazing to me. She looked at me and paused for about 2 seconds then stepped up beautifully. I said "good job, I guess now I really do have to buy you corn don't I ?" Then I took her to her cage and tucked her in.

At that moment I realized that I had to really start treating Emma differently than I have been. She understands much more than I ever realized and rather than impose my will upon her I have been treating her more like someone who has the right to choose and refuse.

I urge all of you to verbalize a lot with your african greys, learn to read their body language, always be mindful that they are so intelligent.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/26 20:36<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/26 21:18

Great post - and I agree fully. I've had the same type of disagreement this evening with Harvey. He's flown to the top of my conservatory doors so many times this evening it is unbelievable. Each time I have asked him to step up he's point blank refused.

I went away, came back a few moments later and said "okay Harvey, if this is how you are going to be you'll be going back in your cage" - at which point he bowed his head, stepped onto my hand and gave me a kiss!

I too am of the understanding that they are open to reasoning - and to this end I'm going to continue along those lines. Karma to you for posting what I was already thinking, but felt too stupid to post! ;)

Excellent Post and topic!!

When you consider they have at least the intelligence of a 3 year old child. It is clearly evident, that it is all encompassing meaning the full intellect, comprehension, reasoning and all other mental abilities.

I would say it took me about as long to figure that out as well. The light did not go on for me until I tried the "Lets Ring the Bell" game. What this was, is I had played with Dayo several times racing him to the cage and ringing the bell hanging inside. He of course started priding himself in being able to beat me, once he caught on. :-)

Well, when he started getting to where he would refuse to step-up when "We" thought it was bedtime, I used the "Lets ring the Bell" game and I closed it with him inside, tricking him.... This only worked 2 times. He no longer plays that game, for fear of being locked in his cage. This of course, was my bad.. it was a fun game .... :(

Reasoning with them, with a positive outcome as you describe, is the proper way to do it. If you can find the thing they will do just about anything for. :-)

Karma to you!!<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/08/26 21:01

I love this topic!!!

I started thinking about Chimay and his abilities in observation and intellect the other day as well. My boyfriend and I are both smokers, and we used to put Chimay in his cage when we go outside for a cigarette. Each time we do that I look at Chimay and say "we'll be right back!"

Just in the last week or so, we've left him on his tree right next to the window when we go outside. We have a 2nd floor apartment, and can see him on his tree plain as day from our "smoking spot." Ever since we started doing that I tell him "be right back, see you at the window!" At first he would hop onto his Atom and try to fly to us before we got out of sight, but we always beat him. As soon as he is able to see us outside the window he puffs up and is satisfied on his tree.

Yesterday, I was prepared for "the race" again, looked at him and said "be right back, see you at the window!" He had just hopped onto the Atom and was preparing to fly to us, but when I said that he kind of looked at us, cocked his head to one side and went right back to the tree and started scanning the grass below waiting for us to show up outside.

I was amazed!!<br><br>Post edited by: chimaysmommy, at: 2009/08/26 21:28

Thanks guys. It truly saddens me when I think of the the thousands of african greys that’s are mistreated, neglected or exploited. These parrots never have the chance to thrive or meet their maximum potential. Our pet parrots are truly at the mercy of human beings. They have no control over who finds them or chooses to purchase them or abandon. It is the very lucky parrot who is chosen by a good parrot owner.

I have always believed in giving greys choices. I would rather Charlie use his brain to make his own decisions.Sure sometimes I will need him in the cage,easy,I taught him to go in when I say come on get in ,he then gets a prize treat,No cage no treat.Well it was really my cousins grey who taught him to do this while I was minding him.I will also try and avoid confrontation.In another post I wrote today I explained I had a pan on my couch to keep him off it,he is not sure of the pan so stays away. I feel thats better than having a confrontation to remove him, its also his choice to stay away.

Congrats, this is what it is all about giving your bird choices and empowering them to make the right choice by giving rewards.

We have always negotiated with our 2 and constantly talk to them just like you would a person asking them what they want to do, what game they want to play.

My boyfriend even asks them what they want for dinner sometimes and they usually reply and then he cooks it for them.

We let them make decisions as much as we can and if it is something we really want them to do like go back in the cage we make it so they take the decision to go back in because there is fun stuff happening in the cage. Kea has a weak spot for sausage and I get a bit and say to her Kea I will give you the sausage if you get in the cage. I can see her thinking about it for a minute and then she hops in and of course gets a bit of sausage.

For somethings we don't even use food rewards it's enough for them to get a kiss or be told how good they are. You can see the pleasure they get out of this and it makes my heart skip a beat to know they are so happy.

I learnt long ago that there is no point doing the battle of the wills it's tiring for everyone.

Chezron, if you look up above you will see a place where it says "search forum", type in "The Atom" and look at some of the posts. There is a place in the forum where there are pictures and links to find the atom. It is a cool play toy made of ropes. It looks like a lot of fun for the birds.<br><br>Post edited by: katana600, at: 2009/08/28 03:49