NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can African Greys also have conversations in human language

rprice99

• 2 years later...

Well if you put two verbal birds together they are bound to learn from eachother and trigger other things. Something a human says that a bird usually reacts to like when I tell my bird "What puppy say?" He barks so if the other bird happen to know one of the phrases that makes them say a specific something then they can eventually learn "Hey when I say this that other bird replys with that"

• 3 months later...

ABSOLUTELY! I have two greys that have been together for 18 years. The male will say "Dewey wants to come out" and I'll go over there and open the door and out she comes-he'll stay in his cage. I've heard them talk to each other in our language, also heard Huey ask a conure to "talk to Huey" and when the conure went tweet tweet tweet Huey said in discust "oh, shut up!". I can tell you hundreds of stories of my two greys telling me what they want, talking to each other, and even talking to DOGS!

It's truly amazing...I hand fed Huey from 8 days old, and hand fed Dewey from 14 days old (different parents). Dewey the female likes to let Huey to the talking while she is a pro at smoke detectors, glass sliding doors, UPS trucks going in reverse etc. BUT I did hear her making fun of Hewey talking in my voice! It's never a dull moment in our house...

People (other breeders) always would tell me "Hewey will stop talking if you put another bird in there with him" NOT! They only know ENGLISH, and know that words mean things and use their words to get what they want.

Do you know Alex the grey on Tv? Hewey is smarter then Alex....anyday.<br><br>Post edited by: Jeaniebean, at: 2007/07/09 04:52

Guest Lidia

Jeaniebean,

Post on the How Old is your Grey thread, we've been trying to work out who has the oldest birds on the forum, and it sounds like you might be it!

Jeaniebean... Nice user name btw.. :) If you need help posting any of these videos let me know.. I would love to expand the video content here...

Lidia is right.. You should post in the How Old Is Your Grey thread as I think so far you may have the oldest greys.. :)