NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Peanut Oil

gypsy

A pet store owner suggested rubbing my girls chest with peanut oil. She had chewed most of her chest feathers off. I put oil in mister ad sprayed Gypsy's chest and legs. It has been 2 days. She has not even offered to pick, but seams absolutely misserable. Did I make a big mistake? Help need advice. Is she ok?:

The peanut oil is a thicker textured item that a bird may not like taste wise. The oil comes from peanuts which is used to make peanut butter. Many birds don't like the taste and texture of peanut butter.

Also, the oil which is pressed from peanuts isused for cooking, in soaps, and as a solvent for pharmaceutical preparations.

So, your best bet is to spray room temperature water on your bird in an area of feathers that aren't waterproof. If the water soaks into the feathers that means the peanut oil is thinning out. Repeat this for a few days. If you're one of the lucky people that can shower your bird or bathe him in a sink, do that instead. Make sure you use no other types of sprays except water. That also means no aloe vera juice. Things like aloe vera juice can be used in the future when your bird's skin has no coatings on the skin.