NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi I'm new

wicked

Hi everyone,

My name is Wendy and I have had Ron my African grey and he is nearly a year old. He's great, we often go for walks together complete with harness. I live in Wales (GB) so its a very rural area, so he loves to be outside. Recently he has changed drastically and won't let me handle him and is very terratorial about his cage. This ends in him biting and attacking me. I can't believe its the same bird. Can anyone help please?

Hello Wendy and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Ron.

I think it is about time for Ron to test the waters so to speak, he is becoming more independent, he wants to see what he can get by with and he is testing you, this is all normal.

Some greys do get territorial about their cages, the cage is their sanctuary where they feel safest and some do not like intrusions into that space so respect that and allow him to come out of the cage and then they usually are more willing to step up.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them and ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you have some of Ron you would share with us we would appreciate it.

Others will come along and chime in with their suggestions for you on his behavior but it is all normal for greys.