NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newly Adopted Adult Grey.....

Rain

;) Hello!!! I am the proud new mama of a 12 yr old Grey named J-Roc. He is already in one day showing his intelligence, but I worry since he is older, 12, that there may be some bonding issues. His former owners were a family, and the father died of Lou Gherig's last year, right after moving away. I have read and read about Greys, and understand that they have sensitivity issues, and that he could still be affected by the loss of his former owner. I want to know the best ways to help hm adjust to our house hold, and to be our loving baby. I was able to work with our recently adopted 35 yr old Amazon, and he is very much my bird now. Granted, he doesn't really like anyone else, but I think it's just because I am the one home all day working with the birds, and I am...well, Mama! So, how do we work properly with our new guy?

Adopting a pre-owned parrot is a different thing and with it comes some difficulties and situations although the new owner who already has another older bird is able to understand what they're actually seeing in that parrot and are able to ease the pressure that the pre-owned parrot is going through.

These parrots have usually lived in either one or a few homes in the past. With each home, the parrot develops habits that pertain to what's going on there. Parrots don't forget things very easily and when that parrot moves on to that next home he/she takes those habits with him/her. It's frequently referred to as 'baggage' which involves many aspects of the parrot's personality and habits and ways of thinking. The ideal adoption of a pre-owned parrot is getting one that has no 'baggage', but that's impossible. There is no such thing. First of all, the parrot is older and very sure of itself. The 'baggage can't be gotten rid of. Usually, a person that adopts a pre-owned parrot forfeits the experience of that parrot living and acting like a baby. Many people, be they experienced or inexperienced don't have a problem with that phase of ownership. The people who do have a problem are the ones that expect that experience. They don't get that experience. What they do see is an obvious amount of previous 'baggage' and they become disillusioned and many times, the parrot will soon be off to it's next home. The amount of 'baggage' that the parrot stores away when living in that home depends on how long the parrot has lived there. Part of that newly obtained 'baggage' are the personalities of all the different owners and the methods used to make the parrot conform at each home. Again I say, parrots don't forget and they have the natural ability to store away more and more situations.

'Slow and easy' makes for the best understanding of thatpre owned parrot. Rules, regulations, normal family life and getting used all the people in that family along with a new environment is somewhat easy for a pre owned parrot to accept but it does take time. All parrots have certain traits that nature has instilled in them. The key word here is 'socialize' and socializing that pre owned parrot into it's new environment makes for a well rounded secure pet, especially when the whole family is involved. People do run into problems with baby parrots but those problems can be resolved pretty easily with the help of other people who have or have had those same problems with their baby parrots.

Watching the bird's habits, letting him see your family habits, his new environment will eventually allow a bird to relax and accept what's going on. How friendly he is only something you know. Bonding is very possible as long as you don't expect the type of bonding that people want from a baby bird. Another thing, a 12 yr old bird isn't an old bird and there's plenty of room for the bird to accept new things and new people.

An important thing to do is to observe the attitude of your other bird towards the grey. If it's aggressive, keep them apart while dealing with the grey. If they take a liking to each other, break out a bottle of champagne and have a drink. Hope some of this helps<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/23 05:55

Dave gave GreYt advice and commentary on taking in a mature Grey.

I would imagine the time, patience and love you used to help the Amazon to feel comfortable and welcome in your home will go a long ways in helping you understand the time and observation it takes to bring a re-homed bird into your home.

It's a whole new world and flock to them. Greys are more cautious in most cases when it comes to new people, places, toys, cages etc.

Just pay careful attention to his body language and eyes to get a reading on whether he is comfortable with you and what your about to do.

If he is not screaming or growling when you change his food and water, thats a good sign. :-)

Does he seem to come towards the side of the cage your approaching and perhaps show interest? How does he react when changing food, water or changing bottom paper?

Was he with the previous home for those 12 years and if so, did they impart any of his personality, likes and dislikes in all things such as food, toys, scratches, perching etc.?

It's wonderful you are taking in these birds in need of a good home they can count on. :-)

Looking forward to updates and photos.

We brought his original cage home. He was theirs his entire life, and last night, he started making more noises, so I think he is settling a teeny bit more. I am somehow more afraid of his beak than I am of my Amazon's, but I think that's because the Grey is faster to bite, and I KNOW that even when my Amazon does sometimes bite to hurt, he rarely does it to me, and I generally know when to expect such an event with Vegas. everything about J is new, yet.

Oh, having his same cage and having been at the same home from weaning until now is a GreYt scenario. :-)

Greys are notorious for being very fast with their bites and at the age of 12, he has learned to mask his body language well, when he wants to.

It sounds like you Zon is similar in interaction with those whom he loves and those who are the "Less Loved" in terms of biting. Greys are the same way. If anything, most times they will just beak very hard the one they love and bite to bring blood on others if they try something he doesn't want to do or invade his space.

You're off to a GreYt start and are doing and asking all the right things. J is in the prefect 2nd home. :-)

Thank you! I still think he hates me, rofl. He fluffs up into "big scary bird" pose when I come near him, but he will sometimes regurgitate his food for my husband. He has been taking grapes from my hand and eating them, and twice, I have said "scratches" and he has ducked his head and ruffled his feathers for me to scratch, but after like 2 seconds, he bites me. Quick little bugger!! :laugh: I REALLY want to take him out of his cage, but....eeeeep! With Vague, (short for Vegas) at first, I had to gently hold the back of his head to prevent him from biting me to get him out of his cage. I don't want to traumatize J by doing that. He knows how to step up, he did it as soon as he got here, but then he bit the crap outta my finger. He hasn't drawn blood yet, which Vague did his first few days. I KNOW I shouldn't act like I care if he bites, but, well, I DOOOO! Lolz. I am working on it. And I think I'll be here all day, checking back, as gmail updates me when I have a new reply, so I am grateful for the constant advice!! I

LOL - That big furry ball is scary isn't it? :-)

It sounds like He may prefer Men over women and thus the regurgitating for your Husband. If this is so, he will interact at a completely different level with your Husband than you.

This means your husband may be the path to gaining his trust sooner by him interacting more with "J". Doing so may get him more apt to accept step-ups and head scratches sooner with your husband and the other members of the flock like yourself will then have "Secondary" interaction privileges meaning you may or may not be permitted to give scratches.

It will all sort itself out over time as he becomes familiar and comfortable with you and family as his new flock and forever home. :-)

That big ball of feathers has now officially made me cry twice, and not from biting. I KNOW he is new. And I know that his old owners didn't hold him for the past two years, which RLY ticks me off. It's not the bird's fault things went downhill in the household and such, but there he was, ignored and neglected. And now, here I am, with a bird I fought so hard to own, and he doesn't like me. It's disheartening. :unsure:

I'm sure many have said this but just to say it again - love and patience is the key. We adopted YoYo a year ago; he's about 10 years old and had been with the same family all 10 years. We also got his original cage, toy, travel cage, cage cover, pellets, everything from his previous owner when we got him. Still, it took YoYo almost 3 weeks to start getting out of his cage after he arrived our house, and about 2 months to start getting on my hands (had to use a mobile perch before that).

Today, YoYo still won't let my husband touch him, but he loves listening and learning words from my husband and we think that's just how he shows his affection for my husband. YoYo certainly brought with him a lot of habits from previous owner, but he also taught us a lot on how he likes to be interacted with.

Thanks for the advice gang. I am just a little moody at the moment. I know it's just in his nature to be cautious and scared. On the other hand, after Vegas saw that I was upset, he super snuggled with me, so that helped some. I hate to say it, but my baby being jealous has made him love me even more!! (And that makes me a happy Amazon mama, lolz):whistle:

You are very welcome, thank you! I can't say I have had much to do with his good looks yet, but he is a gorgeous birdie! Now, if on;y we can get him to love me, too! He DID finally regurgitate some for me earlier when I stopped by and said hi, and made kissy noises. He also said "Hello" very clearly when our male friend walked in. Maybe he just prefers males? Though, his entire family was girls for the past two years. Who knows?

Wow what a pretty Grey. I have a rescue Grey and when I got her she was only 4 but in that shot for years she had 3 different owners and was very abused and neglected by her last owner he had her for about a year. Apparantly Tyco also prefered men and it took a long time for me to gain her trust everyday I worked with her I would step her up onto a perch and then transfer her to my arm and everyday it got easier. she will step up from anywhere now except from the top of her cage I still have to use a perch and then transfer her to my hand. it took 7 months for her to allow me to give her scritches. and to actually trust and love me. I guess she was waiting to see where she was going to go next. I've had her for 2 years now and she is definatly my bird. but she doesn't really have a choice since there is only me or my young teenage daughter. Shes not a real affectionate bird but she does like to play and interact she likes to reach out with her foot to grab my hand or shirt and then she likes it when I rub the pads on the bottom of her feet she loves to give me kisses and she likes scritches also but will only except them before bed. I have learned what she likes and what she doesn't and these things all take time. Don't worry you will have a place with him and he will show you what is fine and what isn't he may choose your husband as his favorite person but that does not mean that you can't have a place in his life as well.