NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gracie

orphan1965

Well Gracie is now almost 17 weeks old. She was hatched April 18th. I have had her home now for 3 weeks. She now weighs 300 grams

The first week or so she was taking hand feeding of about 15 cc of formula twice a day. Now she is taking less than 10cc twice a day. She has pellets and fresh veges/fruits available. She has been munching on them. She was fully weaned when she left the breeder but regressed.

She plays a little on her cage and with the toys. She likes to rip paper.

She loves to snuggle on me. she likes to be wrapped in a blankie and be next to me.

She has had a few showers and doesn't seem to mind them even with the other fids in with us.

This morning she was really making some baby noises. She really lets me know when she doesnt like something like setting her down as she squaks loudly in disgust.

She shakes her head alot. Absolutly hates her beak to be dirty. She preens but not overly.

She seems to be sleeping well. I cover her at night.

My Sun conure seems to be pretty upset about everything today. Wont let me hold him or come near him. My Yellow Nape is acting more cuddly but otherwise has not changed.

So.....does all of this seem to be the norm? Should she be weighing more? Should I cut a hand feeding? Is it a security thing for her or for me?

Thanks

;) She is a small baby, We gave Spock,and all our birds what we call "Smash" It is baked or boiled sweet potato,Organic peanut butter, either baby apple sauce, or fresh pears or our favorite, fresh banana, plus sometimes organic baby fruits or veggies..This is all pureed, heated( under 109 degrees) and feed by spoon twice a day.(except to Salsa our Yellow-Naped who eats it off a plate.)We also have 2 CAG'S, 1 15 week old Yellow-Naped amazon, 2 15 week old sun's, etc,etc,etc. May I ask what formula you use?:cheer:

I am using Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula. The pellets are the ones that look like little pieces of fruit, as she prefers those to the other ones that are greyish in color. Sorry I cant remember the names of the pellets....She likes sunflower seed but i dont give her many of those as I dont want to create a seed junkie. She also likes almonds and walnuts. She likes peanut butter but hates getting it on her beak.

:) Sounds good, You might want to try "Exact MaCaw" or "Zupreem Embrace Plus" Some people have had a problem with "Exact"(including me) regular, Kaytee changed the recipe, New label white+green. The macaw or plus formula we'll also help put weight on...Spock and our two sun play with each other, it's funny...Our amazon could care less.You can also soak some pellet for him, Spock took 23 weeks to fully wean...

Thanks Karma to you...

{Feel-good-000200A2}<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2009/08/22 03:16

I changed Gracie to the Zupreem Embrace and oh what a difference. In 3 days she has already put a little weight back on (5 grams) and is almost back up to where she was when she came home. She is also eating more at each feeding. She was only taking about 10 cc and now is taking almost 20 twice a day.

I am still worried about my sun conure. He wont let me come near him. Runs and hides. I have tried to spend a little time with him but he will have nothing to do with that. he is eating ok I just think he is really upset about Gracie right now.

Your sun conure will get over it but he may never like Gracie, my sun doesn't much care for Josey either and I have to keep a certain distance between them when they are out but otherwise they are fine with each other. Give him a little more time and he will come around.