NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do greys "grow up"?

Tigerlily

I had a BFA when I was younger and he never slowed down. I now have a CAG baby that's always in motion. He only slows down at bedtime when he yawns and fluffs up. That's his cuddle time.

I did find a 7+ year old CAG (reunited with owner) and had him for a few days. He was pretty mellow and only had a few really active periods during the day.

I'm interested to hear what long time owners say.

JohnNJ

I would imagine their activity level as they age will largely be determined by how they are kept active by their owners. A caged animal or critter of any kind, after years of being caged becomes in many cases almost comatose compared to their wild counter parts or well kept and mentally stimulated captive ones that remain active until death.

If your bird is flighted and is allowed plenty of time to keep their cardio vascular system and has lots of out of cage time and toys to play with, they will be active for decades.

It will become less than a young kid grey under 5 years, but they will still enjoy bashing and chewing toys and good flights in and out doors.

Charlie is 6-7 years old and is very active.He does have quiet times through the day but on the whole he is always up to something. Blue who is 40+ is not as active as he was but still loves to come out of his cage and sit on top and have a good whistle.Blues favourite activity now is eating.Cant say I blame him at his age.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/08/21 19:31

My 17 year old is very comatose. If you let him out of his cage he'll just sit on his door, and if you take him to the sofa he finds himself a spot, hikes a leg, and sits fluffed up all content like.

The 10 year old female, on the other hand, can't sit still.

Part raising, part personality. Female is a jumper, will jump off any perch and wander. Male is not one to wander, likes staying put preferably in the highest spot he can find.

Alexander's 25 years old now and I raised him from a baby. I'd say he's generally as active as he was when he was 4: still loves hanging & swingin wildly from his toys etc, but that said, I think his personality's mellowed & matured, and a lot more easy going now as well. He remains my lifelong loyal buddy. I love this guy. B)