NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Worried about feather plucking

JamesandRonnie

Hello everyone i have recently just got back from being away for 10 days and i have noticed that ronnie has plucked a patch of his chest feathers out ronnie has two homes as we travel a lot i left him at his usual home with a friend staying over to keep him company and look after him when i returned i noticed that he had pulled some of his feathers out he has just turned 1years old and now every time he hears or see,s me he gets Really excited and just wants to be held is there anything i can do to help them grow back healthy and try to prevent this happening further also while im on the subject could anyone tell me the best way to keep your parrots feathers looking healthy ?

Thank you

James, I would imagine Ronnie misses you a lot when you are gone even though he has two homes, he probably considers you his favorite and he is showing his displeasure at your absence by plucking. Sorry to say that this is the reaction of some greys when stressed out by circumstances and once they start to pluck it is hard to get them to stop.

I don't have much advice to offer as I have never experienced a plucking bird but we do have a lot of threads that deal with this issue, all you need to do is perform a search to find them and maybe some of them will be helpful to you. Also other members who have some experience with this will have some suggestions for you too.

He is still very young and baby greys need stability and reasurance. He is most likely upset at the changes when you go away.He sounds very needy going from your description of him wanting to be held all the time. Try and encourage him to be more independent.Teach him to play on his own with toys and introduce some forageing toys to keep him stimulated.If he has not been seen at the vets have him checked out as some illness can be a cause of plucking.