NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Clipping

tabbytai

My Dudley was clipped too much and too early... Now, she is old enough that almost all of her flight feathers are back in... I want her to learn to fly before I clipped her which is why I waited. Well, she has definitely learned to fly... she keeps flying into the wall and into the windows... She hasn't figured out to turn or land. It's kinda scary to see her hit the wall. She could get really hurt. So, I am going to take her to be clipped. Question is this: I want her to still maintain some flight capability. She should, in my opinion, she's a bird. How many feathers should I have them clip? I have heard first three? Does this sound reasonable? I'd appreciate any advice. I wish I could just leave her natural but she keeps bashing into things. no good...

Thanks

:dry:

Tabby tail - consider allowing Dudley to continue learning to fly. flight is in fact a learned skill in birds. there is much data indicating if they are allowed to become fully flight proficient (hover, bank, fly up, fly down and land exactly where they intend) this is much better for their health even if you then decide to clip again. A bird that was not fully fledged and never flight proficient may take many months or even years to gain that. However, it sounds like Dudley is actually taking to it well as you describe flying into things etc. The first few days/weeks can be trying for the owner and bird as they appear out of control. there is a risk they could injure themselves and you need to be aware of this, but most will get the hang of it pretty quick depending on age, determination and general coordinatio of the bird. We let Kips flights grow out after first molt and really encouraged her to fly. We praised each step, tried to minimize her fear and downplay crash landings etc. Now she is fully flight proficient and it is a joy to see. She flys to us on comman (usually!) and it is so beautiful to see her hover and be proud of her skills! As you can see, at minimum I support allowing your bird the opportunity to gain full flight. There are many other posts on this forum covering this topic, but I encourage you to seriously consider investing in this for both Dudley and you. B) B)

How old is Dudley? If you want him to learn to fly without crashing, you might try a harness and maybe the "flight line". Then Dudley could practice outside and learn to hover as he comes to you. If you fly him between you and someone else that he trusts, you can train him to land on a hand. If he is young enough, the pathways in his brain can still be formed so he can maneuver safely, avoid objects and surfaces and land without crashing. We had a Sun that came to us clipped from the pet store. We let her flight feathers remain unclipped from that point. She never flew as a fully flighted bird does, but she learned she could avoid danger, and she flew some. She learned to avoid objects, walls and windows. It just takes some time and practice. It certainly made her life more enjoyable (and safer) than being fully dependent on humans for everything. With wings clipped she was cautiously playful. With wings unclipped her personality bloomed. You must do as you see fit (and what you have experienced is safest), but please consider some training alternatives if you haven't already.

Those pictures of a Grey being mutilated for the sake of human convenience make my blood run cold and then boil with anger:angry:

I think I would like to cut Bobbi Brinkers feet off to stop her running around and getting hurt:evil:

Bobbi is clearly an expert on things Grey but I deplore her support of clipping parrots wings.

The problem with clipping is a light clip is potentially far more dangerous to a bird than a fully flighted would be as it would lack maneuverability .

A heavy clip on the other hand could lead to severe psychological trauma as the bird would be unable to interact with its environment in the way its instinct drives it. IMO if you want a screwed up plucking insecure parrot then clipping is a good way to start.

That said, not every bird will respond to a clip badly but there are few good reasons for taking the risk.

M2c

Steve n Misty

Please let you baby learn to fly - they do bump and stumble - but in the end they're just like helicopters - they can turn on a sixpence, and they can hover like an eagle.

"Here are Bobbi Brinker's, renowned & highly respected African Grey expert" - WHAT!

Who on earth called Bobbi Bollox "renowned and highly respected"? She may be respected about general grey activity - but her openinly advocating and advertising clipping is just short of propganda!!<br><br>Post edited by: JillyBeanz, at: 2009/08/21 13:30

Yes please rethink clipping your grey's wings, she will bump into things and all but that is how she learns, the same with a child that is learning to walk, you wouldn't cut their legs off because they kept bumping into things because eventually they master the art of walking, well the same with Dudley, she will master the art of flying but not without some mistakes along the way.

Well, I guess of you all think it really isn't dangerous for her... I would rather keep her natural anyways... I was just worried that I was being a bad mom or something... Dudley (yes, it's a girl with a boy's name...) is 16 months old. I purchased her as a tiny baby and while she was still at the pet shop being handfed they clipped her without even asking me... even though she was fully paid for (MINE!) I was, needless to say, totally PISSED! She literally flew across the room once or twice and they clipped her. When I took her to the vet she said "Who did this to her?!" Yeah, it was bad... every flight feather gone. She did do a lot of plucking and biting over the winter but now, since her feathers have grown in, she has gained back her sweet demeanor. She is still somewhat hesitant to fly but when she does it is a total disaster! The dogs are afraid of it and run away! ha ha ha! They never liked her much anyway after about 2 times getting bitten on the nose!!

Anyway... I'll give her more time. I'd rather do that anyway... She definitely is happier. Thanks for making me feel better about what really is my gut instinct anyway.

tabbytai - It's GreYt to hear you have reconsidered this. It will not take long at all for your Grey to learn to maneuver, bank, hover and how to slow down or stop.

They are very intelligent, as I'm sure you already know and thus she is more reluctant to just take off without thinking a flight plan through first. :-)

I am looking forward to hearing how her continued flights progress. :-)

I think in time you will realise you made the right choice by deciding not to clip. The problems you are experiencing now are only due to her being clipped as a baby anyway because my grey flew near perfect from when I first got him at 12-14 weeks old. It seems to me that clipping birds from babies is storing up trouble for the future and to carry on clipping a bird is just taking the easy option. Patience and perseverence in the order of the day here.

Harvey's learning day by day that he doesn't need to "touch base" to get around. He used to use his cage (mid house) as a "stop off" before he tried to come upstairs or elsewhere - now he can just fly straight through the house, upstairs and perch himself on the banister. They learn so well - good on you for re-thinking. Jill x